Thread: Potential SP salary dump trade targets

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts

Potential SP salary dump trade targets

MLBTR is doing their annual series of offseason outlooks for each team. It is a good primer for folks that want to gain a general understanding of the needs/plans of other teams. Since I figure one of the SPs the Braves acquire this year will be a buy-low scenario from another team trying to shed salary (just like the Kemp trade), these articles are a great place to find such possibilities.

They just did the Orioles today:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/1...orioles-7.html

The O's are looking to shed payroll and perhaps clear space in the rotation for Dylan Bundy. They might be looking to unload Ubaldo, Miley or Gallardo to accomplish both. I could see the Braves buying low on Miley ($9M in 2017) or Gallardo ($11M in 2017), both with a 2018 option.

The Rays are another possible trade partner since they are always trying to shed payroll:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/1...ay-rays-7.html

While Archer is not likely, Odorizzi (3 arb years) and Smyly (2 arb years) might be. Both players will likely cost significantly more than a typical salary dump in terms of prospects, but if a deal can be made that centers around Mallex I could be on board.

The 3rd team I could see a buy low option coming from is the ChiSox with James Shields. They owe him $22M over the next 2 seasons. He should be able to toss 180-200 innings, and should be essentially free in trade. He could be the pitching staff's version of Kemp for Atlanta.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-25-2016 at 10:45 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-25-2016), weso1 (10-25-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    I would explore the Smyly/Odorizzi avenue to see if we can match up in a trade with some of our second tier prospects i.e., Rio, Mallex, D Peterson, etc. I still think the idea should be acquiring younger starting pitchers that we can retain instead of trying to squeeze the last life out of guy like Shields.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-25-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I would explore the Smyly/Odorizzi avenue to see if we can match up in a trade with some of our second tier prospects i.e., Rio, Mallex, D Peterson, etc. I still think the idea should be acquiring younger starting pitchers that we can retain instead of trying to squeeze the last life out of guy like Shields.
    I would also prefer the younger guys with upside, but if the choice comes down to Shields for free vs Smyly/Odorizzi for real prospect talent then it would represent a very hard decision in my opinion. Shields may be old, but his "upside" is a bounce back to ~2 WAR across 200 innings for $11M per year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I'd prefer to give a little and get Smyly/Odorizzi -- that could work out well for us.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-25-2016), weso1 (10-25-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I'd love Smyly since he's a high K lefty, but if they really are receiving this type of interest in him, the price is waaay too steep...

http://rayscoloredglasses.com/2016/1...yankees-smyly/
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I'd love Smyly since he's a high K lefty, but if they really are receiving this type of interest in him, the price is waaay too steep...

Those don't seem like big time packages to me... Mason Williams isn't anything special and if they pay most/all of McCann's salary then there's some value.

For the Mets, d'Arnaud's star has fallen. He can't stay healthy and is only mediocre when he's been healthy. Conforto seems like a big piece, but he really struggled in his first full year and for whatever reason, it just doesn't seem like the Mets are that positive on him (not that they shouldn't be... I just don't think they view him as very valuable)

But then again, Smyly has had his own health problems and everything still hasn't clicked. At 27, will it click? He hasn't had THAT much MLB experience due to injury issues so he probably still have some time for it to click. Folty and Smyly are very similar except Folty is younger and right handed.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 10-25-2016 at 12:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts

That article called McCann a switch-hitter.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (10-26-2016), clvclv (10-25-2016), JohnAdcox (10-25-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    But yeah, that package from the Yankees is nothing. The Mets deal would be way better than that. Conforto is a good player and will be fine. d'Arnaud also still has his upside, and the Mets have Plawecki.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Those don't seem like big time packages to me... Mason Williams isn't anything special and if they pay most/all of McCann's salary then there's some value.

For the Mets, d'Arnaud's star has fallen. He can't stay healthy and is only mediocre when he's been healthy. Conforto seems like a big piece, but he really struggled in his first full year and for whatever reason, it just doesn't seem like the Mets are that positive on him (not that they shouldn't be... I just don't think they view him as very valuable)

But then again, Smyly has had his own health problems and everything still hasn't clicked. At 27, will it click? He hasn't had THAT much MLB experience due to injury issues so he probably still have some time for it to click. Folty and Smyly are very similar except Folty is younger and right handed.
    Given the Mutts' pitching depth, that's a pretty big package to give up for someone who might not crack your rotation if everyone was healthy - especially considering they wouldn't control him any longer than their other SPs.

Syndergaard, deGrom, Harvey, Matz, and Wheeler, are all better in my book, and Bartolo will likely come back if they ask him to - that's six pretty good starters to begin with, plus Gsellman and Lugo did a really good job of filling in n 2016 plus Szapucki's probably on the way to being fast-tracked.

JMO, but I think they've got more pressing needs to fill than a back-end starter if they were going to trade Conforto - CF pops to mind instantly. Even if they don't re-sign Cespedes, they're covered on the corners with Granderson and Bruce. If he does return, he's been adamant about wanting to get out of center. They're really in a pretty good position going into this offseason if you ask me - if Cespedes comes back and plays LF and Granderson slides back to RF, they could shift Bruce to 1B in Duda's place. With Rosario beating on the door, they should be covered on the infield as well. Even if Wright's never healthy again, they could shift Reyes to 2B, Cabrera to 3B, and hand the keys to SS over to Rosario and they'd be much better defensively than they were this season.

If I were going to move Conforto, I'd be looking for an answer in CF or a long-term replacement for Wright, but that's just me.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-25-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Cashman may have lost touch with reality. Why would McCann waive a no trade clause to go to the Rays?

I give it about a 2% chance we make a deal for Mac with Cashman's current line of thinking.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Given the Mutts' pitching depth, that's a pretty big package to give up for someone who might not crack your rotation if everyone was healthy - especially considering they wouldn't control him any longer than their other SPs.

Syndergaard, deGrom, Harvey, Matz, and Wheeler, are all better in my book, and Bartolo will likely come back if they ask him to - that's six pretty good starters to begin with, plus Gsellman and Lugo did a really good job of filling in n 2016 plus Szapucki's probably on the way to being fast-tracked.

JMO, but I think they've got more pressing needs to fill than a back-end starter if they were going to trade Conforto - CF pops to mind instantly. Even if they don't re-sign Cespedes, they're covered on the corners with Granderson and Bruce. If he does return, he's been adamant about wanting to get out of center. They're really in a pretty good position going into this offseason if you ask me - if Cespedes comes back and plays LF and Granderson slides back to RF, they could shift Bruce to 1B in Duda's place. With Rosario beating on the door, they should be covered on the infield as well. Even if Wright's never healthy again, they could shift Reyes to 2B, Cabrera to 3B, and hand the keys to SS over to Rosario and they'd be much better defensively than they were this season.

If I were going to move Conforto, I'd be looking for an answer in CF or a long-term replacement for Wright, but that's just me.
    If you were to trade for Smyly that would give you the depth needed to trade another pitcher like Wheeler for a long term CF.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    If you were to trade for Smyly that would give you the depth needed to trade another pitcher like Wheeler for a long term CF.
    No one's giving up anything of consequence for Wheeler at this point - he hasn't pitched in two years.