Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tigers possibly pushing to trade Upton

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Our rebuild was Jumpstarted because we had valuable assets to trade. I don't expect to see any major FA signings or Tex type trades thus off season though.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I think the Braves will have to be more flexible with some names that people have already pencilled into the starting lineup for the next ten years, who haven't really done much yet.

Even some of the guys who might be very good players might not be more valuable than what they can be traded for. I love Albies, I think he could be a very good player. But perhaps an OBP 2B is not the most valuable way the Braves can deploy his value. Perhaps his highest value is in helping acquiring an Ace. Or a power hitter.

I don't want to trade any of the prospect guys, but sometimes trading value for value is a nice proposition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think the Braves will have to be more flexible with some names that people have already pencilled into the starting lineup for the next ten years, who haven't really done much yet.

Even some of the guys who might be very good players might not be more valuable than what they can be traded for. I love Albies, I think he could be a very good player. But perhaps an OBP 2B is not the most valuable way the Braves can deploy his value. Perhaps his highest value is in helping acquiring an Ace. Or a power hitter.

I don't want to trade any of the prospect guys, but sometimes trading value for value is a nice proposition.
    I completely agree. I love Albies and would hate to see him go, but you do have to think about the future and your needs.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts

I couldn't agree with this more. Just glad I don't have to make these decisions. I am a prospect hoarder.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

But that's only a potentially good move if Demeritte is capable of approximating Albies' value at 2B. If not, you're just creating one hole to fill another, and given our farm system, the hole at 2B would likely be harder to fill than the hole at SP.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    But that's only a potentially good move if Demeritte is capable of approximating Albies' value at 2B. If not, you're just creating one hole to fill another, and given our farm system, the hole at 2B would likely be harder to fill than the hole at SP.
    I'm not suggesting trading Albies as he is as close to a sure thing as you can get in a prospect, but we do have a pipeline of 2B options if we chose to go that route.

Jace, Demeritte, Moore, Camargo, Seymour, Dykstra, and eventually Cruz.

There's not a lot of star potential there outside of Demeritte and Cruz, but you could play the numbers and the hot hand for the next few years.

However if you're trading a top 10 prospect it better be for a player of that caliber...someone like a Clint Frazier and I wouldn't even do that straight up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post

Jace, Demeritte, Moore, Camargo, Seymour, Dykstra, and eventually Cruz.
    I don't think those guys hold a candle to Albies. If Albies ends up like Jose Ramirez, which I think is very possible, then it would be a mistake to trade him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I don't think those guys hold a candle to Albies. If Albies ends up like Jose Ramirez, which I think is very possible, then it would be a mistake to trade him.
    Oh, I think he can be better than Ramirez.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Oh, I think he can be better than Ramirez.
    He can be, sure. But Ramirez was damn good this year, and their overall numbers could be similar.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

I have little doubt that some of these guys will be traded, but don't think there's much chance Albies will be one of them unless it's as part of an absolute monster deal. Short of being able to land a Sale/Archer/Quintana-type, I'm relatively sure he'll be playing 2B alongside Swanson for a long time. Having a combination of Ozzie, Dansby, and Ender up the middle is something some teams can only dream about.

Remember how upset everyone was when Peraza was shipped out? He was traded because Albies was both better, and breathing down his neck.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-26-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I have little doubt that some of these guys will be traded, but don't think there's much chance Albies will be one of them unless it's as part of an absolute monster deal. Short of being able to land a Sale/Archer/Quintana-type, I'm relatively sure he'll be playing 2B alongside Swanson for a long time. Having a combination of Ozzie, Dansby, and Ender up the middle is something some teams can only dream about.

Remember how upset everyone was when Peraza was shipped out? He was traded because Albies was both better, and breathing down his neck.
    I don't think anyone would argue this unless Sale/Archer/Quintana were a target. If we traded him in a deal for anything less than a bonified Ace, our whole front office needs to be immediately fired.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Why?
    Do you not understand what "buy low" means?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

You may have a point. Albies may be more valuable to the Braves if he is traded as a SS rather than keeping him to play 2B. It's in the same vein as trading one of Mallex or Inciarte to be a starting CFer somewhere else rather than letting Mallex rot on the bench or in AAA, or Inciarte as a RFer.

It's all about maximizing value, and if they can get more value from Albies by trading him to a team that wants a franchise SS, I would be all for it. The return would have to be another "can't miss" top 10 position prospect though. No pitchers, and no package of lesser talents.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Seriously?

Everyone else that read that understood exactly what that meant, yet you don't?

The Braves didn't try to sign him because they thought his contract demands were ridiculous BEFORE the Cubs gave him that contract. Giving up ANY prospect and paying the money left on it is the farthest thing from "buying low" that you can get.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Yeahhhhhhh paying Heyward the rest of his contract AND giving up prospects for him is buying high, not low.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Jason still walks on water. The Cubs wouldn't be where there are without him. Isn't he at least 6.0 WAR?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Yeahhhhhhh paying Heyward the rest of his contract AND giving up prospects for him is buying high, not low.
    Buying low means you get him for cheaper.

If the Cubs ate some of the contract or gave him to us for low level prospects, he'd be an excellent buy low candidate.

Unless you think 2016 is his true self, and not the previous 6 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Buying low means you get him for cheaper.

If the Cubs ate some of the contract or gave him to us for low level prospects, he'd be an excellent buy low candidate.

Unless you think 2016 is his true self, and not the previous 6 years.
    If we traded low-level prospects for him and the Cubs didn't eat any salary...we'd still be buying high. They'd have to eat a good chunk of change and also give him to us for the low-level prospects for it to be a buy-low.

I do definitely think it's possible he continues to struggle offensively (even if he's not quite as horrid as he was last year). And the defense still has to remain elite for the entirety of the contract for it to be worth it.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    28 per is too risky. if the Cubs ate 16 million so his next 2 years are 20 per, then that might be a risk I would be willing to take.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    If we traded low-level prospects for him and the Cubs didn't eat any salary...we'd still be buying high. They'd have to eat a good chunk of change and also give him to us for the low-level prospects for it to be a buy-low.

I do definitely think it's possible he continues to struggle offensively (even if he's not quite as horrid as he was last year). And the defense still has to remain elite for the entirety of the contract for it to be worth it.
    ...and even then it's not close to worth it. We dodged a yuge bullet there.

He is as helpless as a kitten. Maddon sitting him for a third straight game tonight in favor of Soler this time.

Watching him as a rookie with a .393 OBP, I really didn't think we were seeing his high water mark. The debate used to be whether you dared move him to CF. Now you almost have to in order to get any value out of him. 6'5", 240 with the skills of a 5'10", 175 lb man.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-26-2016)