Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: GDT Mon, 7/1 vs Yanks

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Has enscheff released his pitch evaluation for fried's last start?
    no

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    no
    Enscheff, quit playing around here, and get your homework done!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-03-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Freddie has gone "selfish" with the bat. How many opportunities in the past 15 games has he had to knock in a run with a punch hit to left side, but no, he is intent on trying to hit it out of the park to the right side.
    If you've ever been a hitter at any advanced level or coached hitters, you'll know that it isn't that simple. It has zero to do with being selfish. He's not trying to yank every pitch into the right field seats, though it appears so sometimes. It's timing. His timing has been off and he's just trying to make solid contact at the moment. When your timing disappears you might have no confident feel of where your barrel is. That's where the strike outs are coming from. So even though when he went out around a 99 mph pitch last night and grounded out to 2nd base when it was obvious he should stay inside the ball and lace it oppo, that's hard to do when you're out of rhythm and jumping at pitches. It's just baseball. It's hard to stay in a groove for extended periods. An opposite field approach is the best remedy, but it still takes time against the best pitchers in the world to get back in that groove.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    What would it take to get Frazier and Drury from the Yanks? Would you give up Fried and a crappy piece for them?

Yanks need pitching. Frazier could be your Neck replacement. Drury would be a great bench bat.

Yes, I would do that in a heartbeat. I think its unrealistic that the Yankees would consider it.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    What would it take to get Frazier and Drury from the Yanks? Would you give up Fried and a crappy piece for them?

Yanks need pitching. Frazier could be your Neck replacement. Drury would be a great bench bat.
    I mentioned Drury in here about a month ago when he was recovering from his migraine issue at AAA. With Andujar's and Torres' ascension, Drury is the odd man out in the Bronx. Can play a few places in the field and can hit some. Hard to know what his ceiling is, but I'd take a flyer on him if the price were right. I'm still not sold on Frazier, but again, if the price is reasonable, he would be worth a shot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I mentioned Drury in here about a month ago when he was recovering from his migraine issue at AAA. With Andujar's and Torres' ascension, Drury is the odd man out in the Bronx. Can play a few places in the field and can hit some. Hard to know what his ceiling is, but I'd take a flyer on him if the price were right. I'm still not sold on Frazier, but again, if the price is reasonable, he would be worth a shot.
    there are concerns in the Bronx about Bird...Drury might end up in a sort of platoon with Bird...some second guessing on NY talk radio this morning about not pinch hitting for Bird in the 10th inning...of course that second guessing doesn't seem to take into account Biddie' s reverse splits
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    there are concerns in the Bronx about Bird...Drury might end up in a sort of platoon with Bird...some second guessing on NY talk radio this morning about not pinch hitting for Bird in the 10th inning...of course that second guessing doesn't seem to take into account Biddie' s reverse splits
    They are a mystery to the baseball world

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Yes, I would do that in a heartbeat. I think its unrealistic that the Yankees would consider it.
    Fried has more upside than both those guys tho
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Fried has more upside than both those guys tho

2. Clint Frazier, OF Video
    Drafted: 1st Round, 2013 from Loganville HS (GA)
    Age 22 Height 6’1 Weight 185 Bat/Throw R/R
    Tool Grades (Present/Future)
    Hit Raw Power Game Power Run Fielding Throw
    40/50 60/60 50/60 50/50 45/50 60/60
    Relevant/Interesting Metrics
    ZiPS projects .238/.299/.433 slash line in 2017.

Scouting Report
    Frazier was the fifth-overall pick in the 2013 draft out of Loganville High School in Georgia. He was signed away from his commitment to Georgia with a $3.5 million bonus, the most lucrative bonus in Indians draft history. In high school, Frazier was a high-effort spark plug with elite bat speed, though he didn’t look like your typical high-upside prep draftee.

Before the draft, most organizations were correctly skeptical about Frazier’s long-term ability to play center field — despite some of the run times he was posting (he ran a 6.6-second 60-yard dash at East Coast Pro) — because of the way they anticipated his body to fill out. Frazier was listed at 5-foot-11, 185 pounds as an amateur but has grown into a listed 6-foot-1, 190, though he’s probably heavier than that. Despite his likely corner-only profile, Frazier’s bat speed and advanced feel for hitting made him a worthy top-five selection, even if he had atypical physical projection (as in, none) for a prep bat.

Because of the superhuman circumference of his biceps and his generally muscular physique, Frazier is most often body-comped to Popeye the Sailor Man, a reference I hope doesn’t elude the youngest of our readers. Though he posts some plus run times to first base because of a natural jailbreak, he’s only about an average runner whose middling speed is masked by visible effort and good baserunning instincts. Frazier’s speed and feel for playing center field are good enough that I think he’d be passable there in an emergency, but I wouldn’t advocate him playing there every day. I think that, given his size and build at age 22, Frazier is likely to slow down as he enters his prime. His arm strength should allow him to play in either outfield corner, where I believe he’ll be an average defender at maturity.

Frazier’s 80-grade bat speed has helped him generate a .275/.355/.448 career batting line. He’s hit despite the excessive loop his hands take back to the ball, a mechanical hiccup that I think causes his barrel to arrive late and robs him of the ability to pull the ball consistently. This could dilute his game power a bit, but Frazier is strong enough to muscle some of those balls out to right field anyway, and Yankee Stadium will be particularly kind to this flaw. Though his swing features a good bit of effort and Frazier has struggled some with strikeouts throughout his minor-league career, he still projects as an average major-league hitter. Again, the bat speed is the primary reason for this, but Frazier has shown that he has some barrel control and the ability to make adjustments in the middle of at-bats, as well. Reports on his makeup are glowing.

Though I think he’ll always swing and miss at an above-average clip, I’m optimistic about Frazier’s chance to become an above-average regular in New York. I think his power will play there as well as it would anywhere and, even if he only hits around .260, he’s ticketed for 20-plus annual homers and adulation for his style of play.

KATOH+ Projection for first six years: 6.5 WAR

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    2. Clint Frazier, OF Video
    Drafted: 1st Round, 2013 from Loganville HS (GA)
    Age 22 Height 6’1 Weight 185 Bat/Throw R/R
    Tool Grades (Present/Future)
    Hit Raw Power Game Power Run Fielding Throw
    40/50 60/60 50/60 50/50 45/50 60/60
    Relevant/Interesting Metrics
    ZiPS projects .238/.299/.433 slash line in 2017.

Scouting Report
    Frazier was the fifth-overall pick in the 2013 draft out of Loganville High School in Georgia. He was signed away from his commitment to Georgia with a $3.5 million bonus, the most lucrative bonus in Indians draft history. In high school, Frazier was a high-effort spark plug with elite bat speed, though he didn’t look like your typical high-upside prep draftee.

Before the draft, most organizations were correctly skeptical about Frazier’s long-term ability to play center field — despite some of the run times he was posting (he ran a 6.6-second 60-yard dash at East Coast Pro) — because of the way they anticipated his body to fill out. Frazier was listed at 5-foot-11, 185 pounds as an amateur but has grown into a listed 6-foot-1, 190, though he’s probably heavier than that. Despite his likely corner-only profile, Frazier’s bat speed and advanced feel for hitting made him a worthy top-five selection, even if he had atypical physical projection (as in, none) for a prep bat.

Because of the superhuman circumference of his biceps and his generally muscular physique, Frazier is most often body-comped to Popeye the Sailor Man, a reference I hope doesn’t elude the youngest of our readers. Though he posts some plus run times to first base because of a natural jailbreak, he’s only about an average runner whose middling speed is masked by visible effort and good baserunning instincts. Frazier’s speed and feel for playing center field are good enough that I think he’d be passable there in an emergency, but I wouldn’t advocate him playing there every day. I think that, given his size and build at age 22, Frazier is likely to slow down as he enters his prime. His arm strength should allow him to play in either outfield corner, where I believe he’ll be an average defender at maturity.

Frazier’s 80-grade bat speed has helped him generate a .275/.355/.448 career batting line. He’s hit despite the excessive loop his hands take back to the ball, a mechanical hiccup that I think causes his barrel to arrive late and robs him of the ability to pull the ball consistently. This could dilute his game power a bit, but Frazier is strong enough to muscle some of those balls out to right field anyway, and Yankee Stadium will be particularly kind to this flaw. Though his swing features a good bit of effort and Frazier has struggled some with strikeouts throughout his minor-league career, he still projects as an average major-league hitter. Again, the bat speed is the primary reason for this, but Frazier has shown that he has some barrel control and the ability to make adjustments in the middle of at-bats, as well. Reports on his makeup are glowing.

Though I think he’ll always swing and miss at an above-average clip, I’m optimistic about Frazier’s chance to become an above-average regular in New York. I think his power will play there as well as it would anywhere and, even if he only hits around .260, he’s ticketed for 20-plus annual homers and adulation for his style of play.

KATOH+ Projection for first six years: 6.5 WAR
    meh, i'm looking at his numbers. high k-rate, high BABIP. almost 24, doesn't really seem to have speed anymore. i don't think he becomes much of anything. and drury is what he is.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I thought it was an interesting deal. I'm sure Yankee fans would want to use him to get someone like Archer or Fulmer.

That said they have nowhere to play him. They need pitching. We have pitching and have a hole after Neck leaves.

I do not believe we will land any big FA. Marte trade? Frazier?

I don't do future value calcs so not sure what the real deal would be.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts

I would be very hesitant to give up Fried until the situation with that new sinker sorts itself out.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Enscheff, quit playing around here, and get your homework done!
    Well...the data is weird.

Here is a graph from his 5/28 start vs the Giants at Suntrust:

You can see many SIs that have more drop than the FA, as well as more HMov to arm side.

Here is the same graph from 6/30, not at Suntrust:

All the fastballs are grouped as FAs, and they don't seem to have the extra ~2" of sink that qualified them as SIs in the Suntrust data.

So either..

1. The SI isn't sinking right now (most likely reason)
    2. He has stopped throwing it (would be a shame)
    3. The line between his SI/CH was blurred (unlikely due to velocity differences)
    4. The Statcast in Suntrust is calibrated differently than it is in StL (notice the difference in HMov on the CU)

I am not concerned with his results. Every pitcher has a good game sprinkled in between the mediocre/garbage starts.

I am concerned with the SI being consistent, and it doesn't appear to be the case just yet...if he is even still throwing it.

This is what I mean when I say I want to see this SI experiment sort itself out before Fried becomes trade fodder.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-03-2018 at 11:33 AM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-03-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (07-03-2018), Super (07-03-2018)