Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead to the postseason roster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I wish we had some speed off the bench. Pinch runners in the playoffs can pay dividends in the late innings and we're now running out Fried as our pinch runner when Ender is starting.
    In theory, Waters or Pache could provide this.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Riley was crushing more.
    And playing a new position and not making 3 million. I think it's pretty clear that AA sees Duvall as sort of a last resort option. Hopefully duvall runs with the opportunity though

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Well, AA could've went with Duvall over Riley when Riley was promoted. Duvall was crushing at the time too
    In an AA chess type move though Duvall continued to crush and we were able to keep him down long enough to gain an extra year of control.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    And playing a new position and not making 3 million. I think it's pretty clear that AA sees Duvall as sort of a last resort option. Hopefully duvall runs with the opportunity though
    Riley was crushing more.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    I hate using this phrase but I think we needed to see what we had in Riley and used Duvall as an insurance policy in case Riley pulled a Riley.
    Coppy

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Carp (08-05-2019), jpx7 (08-05-2019), Tapate50 (08-05-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I hate using this phrase but I think we needed to see what we had in Riley and used Duvall as an insurance policy in case Riley pulled a Riley.
    The way he was going at the time it made absolute sense to call up Riley before Duvall.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    In an interview about a month ago, AA dwelled on starting pitching. He tried at the deadline, but couldn't find a starter at a reasonable price. AA said he wanted four starting pitchers he could have confidence in. At the time he game the interview he said there were only two he had confidence in--Soroka and Keuchel.

Not much has changed since then, except maybe Fried building a bit of a case for himself. With external options are no longer available, I think the front office has a plan to allow the starting pitching candidates every opportunity to step forward. This includes the guys in AAA. And Gausman and Teheran in the majors. I think those two will be kept in the rotation until rosters expand.

Once rosters expand it will be the five who are pitching best, and that could include one or two currently pitching in AAA. August and September are audition time for the starters. AA is looking for one or two to step forward and claim a spot in the post-season rotation.
    Has there been any update on Folty? I figured he'd be back by now. He's not dominating, but he appears to be doing well in AAA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Has there been any update on Folty? I figured he'd be back by now. He's not dominating, but he appears to be doing well in AAA.
    The update is that he has made progress on the slider. I suspect part of the plan is to let him continuing working on it in AAA and then put him in the rotation in September.

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    For Gwinnett, in the AAA playoffs.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

Carp (08-05-2019), jpx7 (08-05-2019), UNCBlue012 (08-05-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    There's 2 months to go, so the pitching staff could shake out any number of ways. Trying to project it now is pointless.

We do know there will be a hole in the OF, and not adding a RHH OFer as I discussed over and over is probably going to be an issue.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,986 Posts
    Well, AA could've went with Duvall over Riley when Riley was promoted. Duvall was crushing at the time too
    Riley was doing a little better at the time and had more position flexibility. Also came with the added bonus of potentially bringing more interest to the fanbase with a hot hitting rookie. I'm sure that gaining an extra year of control over Duvall wasn't lost on AA either.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,986 Posts
    The update is that he has made progress on the slider. I suspect part of the plan is to let him continuing working on it in AAA and then put him in the rotation in September.
    I don't know for certain, but service time is again a consideration here. I would assume we are close to gaining another year of control on Folty as this point.

Edit: Looks like this isn't a factor. He's already at 4 year and 72 days and still on track to reach FA at the end of 2021.
    Last edited by Carp; 08-05-2019 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    There's 2 months to go, so the pitching staff could shake out any number of ways. Trying to project it now is pointless.

We do know there will be a hole in the OF, and not adding a RHH OFer as I discussed over and over is probably going to be an issue.
    I'm excited that we are likely going to win the division again. But looking at things realistically, I can't see us being a legit world series contender this year with this rotation.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    I'm excited that we are likely going to win the division again. But looking at things realistically, I can't see us being a legit world series contender this year with this rotation.
    Don't worry. Folty will come back strong.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    The Brewers gave the Dodgers all they could handle in the 2018 NLCS with a bad rotation and intelligent use of the pitching staff as a whole.

The Braves have a collection of arms that can be used similarly.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-05-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    If I’m AA, I thank Snitker for his important managing of the clubhouse during the regular season, but tell him that it’s my way or the highway if/when the postseason comes.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (08-05-2019), jpx7 (08-05-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    If I’m AA, I thank Snitker for his important managing of the clubhouse during the regular season, but tell him that it’s my way or the highway if/when the postseason comes.
    Problem with that is it's not exactly easy to suddenly switch roles of players in the playoffs. That's why last year I was hoping the Braves would play the last ~1 week like they were practice playoff games, complete with platoon match ups and aggressively deploying the BP. Suggested here:

http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8684

That didn't happen, and the Braves were thoroughly outmaneuvered by the Dodgers in the NLDS.

I don't think it would be wise to suddenly change the way these guys are used as soon as the playoffs start. They will likely need some time to adjust to the mental side of these strategies.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-05-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    If the Braves win in the playoffs, it will be in spite of Snit's terrible game-to-game management and likely more due to talent.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    If the Braves win in the playoffs, it will be in spite of Snit's terrible game-to-game management and likely more due to talent.
    Talent can get any team to the playoffs. Hell it can even win in the playoffs. But managing becomes a little more important and I don’t have high expectations for this manager.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    The frustrating thing is that there are like 10-15 scenarios that are most likely to play out in any given game that remains competitive, so it should be relatively straightforward to script the moves for that small list of scenarios. Almost all late game high leverage situations should be accounted for ahead of time, so there should be nearly zero reason for Snit to make any decision in the heat of the moment.

When to pull the SP. What to do if he gets in trouble early. What part of the lineup each BP arm faces. Who PHs for who based on the opposing BP arm currently pitching. When does a defensive sub come in. When does Culberson pinch run for Mac, and how does that double/triple switch happen.

All of these things should be anticipated and planned for prior to the game. It may not be sustainable for 162 games, but for the playoffs it can certainly be done.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-05-2019), UNCBlue012 (08-05-2019)