Ivermectin Man

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-16-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts
    I would think it's extremely unlikely, but does anyone think he gets called up if he handles AA well the next few weeks and Dansby can't return this season?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Whoa. What an awful pick
    so bad. did they even read the free scouting reports online..?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts
    Whoa. What an awful pick
    The floor is not the question with Shewmake, the ceiling is. I always said the hit tool and defensive versatility would make him advance quickly.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Revisionist history is alive and well...lol. Regardless, Shewmake can hit and that's something we can all agree on. Power? He'll have to sacrifice some line drive for loft, but I think he can.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I would think it's extremely unlikely, but does anyone think he gets called up if he handles AA well the next few weeks and Dansby can't return this season?
    No
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,938 Posts
    Sorry with the delay. Went to the movies last night. Good Boys is a must-see!

Pretty much a rough day and night on the farm.

Anyway, Gwinnett loses 2 to the Columbus Clippers, 5-3 and 5-2 respectively. The Toukster pitched 5 shutout innings in the first game, but Webb got rocked for 4 runs in his inning of work to take the loss. Solo HRs by Florimon and A. Jackson accounted for the Braves' runs. Waters 2/4 with 1 K. Pache 0/2 with 1 BB. Ynoa takes the loss in Game 2, giving up 3 ER in 5 IP (6 Ks, 1 BB, 2 HR). Waters 1/3 with 2 K. 1 BB. Pache 0/3 with 1 K. Pache now swimming below the Melvin Mendoza line at .194. Lusty-hitting catcher J.R. Murphy goes 2/3.

Birmingham gets a run in the 9th to edge Mississippi 2-1. Phil Pfeiffer continues his resurrection as a starter giving up 1 ER in 8 IP. 7 H, 10 K, 0 BB. Aro takes the loss. Productive minor league FA Ryan Casteel scores the Braves' lone run, driven in by C Carlos Martinez. Braves managed only 3 hits. As for Pfeiffer, being from the Midwest, we used to quaff down Pfeiffer's brand beer in college. You could get 4 cases for $10. I don't know if the brand was available outside the Midwest, but I'm sure every region has its bargain brand of swill.

Florida gets mauled 14-4 by the Bradenton Marauders. What's the deal with Hayden? Basically unhittable in April and May and now seemingly unmissable. Gets his 10th loss hung on him yesterday, giving up 5 earned runs (8 total) in 2.2 innings. One thing you can say about the guy is he doesn't walk anyone. Only 32 free passes in 117.1 IP. El Jefe Ramos is the Braves' hitting star in the loss, going 2/4 with his 9th HR. Scores 2 and drives in 2. Logan Brown with the other two RBIs. I've read reports on Brown that posit he has plus-plus defensive skills. There is some debate over which Kevin Brown is his father. Former GA Tech and heavy fastball hurler Kevin Brown who pitched in 19 big-league seasons for a variety of squads or Kevin Brown the catcher who played 85 games over seven different seasons in the 1990s and early-2000s. Seeing Brown the latter and Logan Brown both attended the University of Southern Indiana and both are catchers, my bet is on them sharing more genetic traits.

Rome goes down 3-1 to Columbia. Tyler Lawson takes the loss, son. He surrendered 3 ER in the late-going after Ryan Shetter was Ryan Shutter, holding Columbia scoreless over 6 IP. R-Braves managed 5 hits, 2 by Justin Dean. Dean Ks twice and his K-rate is the most troubling aspect of his game. He stole his 41 base as well. Brendan Venter drove in Michael Harris with the Braves' only run. Bryce Ball takes his first collar in A ball, going 0-4.

Braves only farm system win is generated by Danville, with a 4-3 win over Elizabethton by scoring 1 in the bottom of the 9th. LHP Lisandro Xavier Santos throws five scoreless innings in his third Appalachian League start. Santos started the season in the Dominican Summer League, but at age 21, the Braves decided to leap frog him over the Gulf Coast League. Bullpen lets Santos down, with Crouse and Volquez giving up a combined 3 runs to allow the E-Twins to tie the game. Win goes to Chuck, I mean Steve, I mean Justin Yeager.

Dominican League Braves lose 7-6 to the Astros. Astros score 4 in the 11th and Braves come back with 3. Multiple hit games for D-Braves come from Quintero (2/6), Dilone (2/5), Celesten (2/5), and Francisco "Pink" Floyd (2/4) (Crap, I just morphed into the dastardly Chris Berman). Roddery Munoz goes 6 IP, giving up 2 ER while striking out 10. Interesting note. On the DSL Braves roster, there is a Roddery Munoz and a Rolddy Munoz. Same birthday. Relatively same height/weight. Does anyone know if this is an instance of same sports playing twins ala the van Arsdales in the NBA and the Barbers in the NFL? Or is it a typo made by someone along the line.

GCL Braves still plagued by rain. I don't follow the weather in Florida closely, but is there a trend toward ark-building occurring on the Gulf Coast. The new minor league complex should include a floating field.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (08-16-2019), Jaw (08-16-2019), JohnAdcox (08-16-2019), jpx7 (08-16-2019), Tapate50 (08-16-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Revisionist history is alive and well...lol. Regardless, Shewmake can hit and that's something we can all agree on. Power? He'll have to sacrifice some line drive for loft, but I think he can.
    I've always maintained he would be quick through the system. I've actually advocated more aggressive promotions with him compared to Langeliers because of the advanced hit tool and defensive versatility. I think he should have been out of Rome a couple weeks ago.

And yes, we can all agree the kid has a phenomenal hit tool. There's a video on youtube of his swing in super slow motion. His swing is super level and he's fantastic at getting the bat to the ball. He was said to have to best hit tool in the draft and I see no reason to doubt that.

His power development will be key for his ceiling. Is he Zobrist or is he Marwin Gonzalez? Time will tell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I've always maintained he would be quick through the system. I've actually advocated more aggressive promotions with him compared to Langeliers because of the advanced hit tool and defensive versatility. I think he should have been out of Rome a couple weeks ago.

And yes, we can all agree the kid has a phenomenal hit tool. There's a video on youtube of his swing in super slow motion. His swing is super level and he's fantastic at getting the bat to the ball. He was said to have to best hit tool in the draft and I see no reason to doubt that.

His power development will be key for his ceiling. Is he Zobrist or is he Marwin Gonzalez? Time will tell.
    Holy crap, does it matter? Those are two awesome outcomes.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts
    Holy crap, does it matter? Those are two awesome outcomes.
    This is an internet message board, everything matter!

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Is he Zobrist or LaStella is a better comparison for Shewmake (both of which would also be fine).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Why? The Braves need a guy that can handle a MLB position.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts

Marwin or Zobrist? Their career ISOs are .156 and .160...

Which one "developed power", and which one didn't?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Lusty-hitting catcher J.R. Murphy goes 2/3.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-16-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Marwin or Zobrist? Their career ISOs are .156 and .160...

Which one "developed power", and which one didn't?
    Zobrist is 8 years older than Marwin and has seen his power erode. If Marwin plays another 8 years his ISO will probably drop as well.

In any event, I was talking role and worth. If Shewmake develops power and keeps a hit tool to hit .280, he's a Zobrist type. Gets starter ABs but can be shifted around the OF or IF as needed. Probably has a primary spot but that ability to go from LF to 2B mid game offers extra value.

If he doesn't develop power, he's more likely to have that Marwin Gonzalez role. Brings every glove to the park, hits better than some starting players around the league, gets a ton of ABs but never gets a full time starting job himself. If Shewmake's power doesn't really develop he'll end up with less power than Marwin but a markedly better hit tool. Similar value at the plate but provided different ways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts
    Take this concession for what it's worth.

I'm pretty sure I hated the Shewmake pick more than it probably deserved. I had been hoping with two first round picks, including a top 10, to draft someone with superstar tools. Instead we went with Langeliers at 9 and Shewmake at 21. Going with two "safe," high floor college bats in the first round annoyed me. So I was harsher on Shewmake than I should have been.

Either first round pick is justifiable, I just didn't like the strategy of drafting both. I still don't but it's a sunk cost now.

Shewmake's draft spot can be justified based on his crazy high floor. With his versatility and hit tool it would take something crazy happening to keep him from making it to the majors. There's also an extremely high chance he establishes himself as AT LEAST a top notch utility player (Marwin Gonzalez role and value).

In today's game, a super utility player like that is extremely valuable. We've all seen what the Dodgers have done with those kind of guys. Shewmake's high chance of being at least that along with the potential to be a very good starter with some obtainable development justifies his spot.

I still wish we'd have gone higher risk, higher reward at 9 if we were going to pick Shewmake at 21 but that's a different question.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Take this concession for what it's worth.

I'm pretty sure I hated the Shewmake pick more than it probably deserved. I had been hoping with two first round picks, including a top 10, to draft someone with superstar tools. Instead we went with Langeliers at 9 and Shewmake at 21. Going with two "safe," high floor college bats in the first round annoyed me. So I was harsher on Shewmake than I should have been.

Either first round pick is justifiable, I just didn't like the strategy of drafting both. I still don't but it's a sunk cost now.

Shewmake's draft spot can be justified based on his crazy high floor. With his versatility and hit tool it would take something crazy happening to keep him from making it to the majors. There's also an extremely high chance he establishes himself as AT LEAST a top notch utility player (Marwin Gonzalez role and value).

In today's game, a super utility player like that is extremely valuable. We've all seen what the Dodgers have done with those kind of guys. Shewmake's high chance of being at least that along with the potential to be a very good starter with some obtainable development justifies his spot.

I still wish we'd have gone higher risk, higher reward at 9 if we were going to pick Shewmake at 21 but that's a different question.
    Mighty big of you Striker...Mighty bigly...Ha. There were many bewildered Brave fans during the first day. I didn't like the strategy the first day, but felt they were going to go against the grain. I will say that for all of the hand wringing this was a pretty good departure, opportunity draft. I think some lower draftees are going to be potential above average players. Add in two potential first few picks...we'd all take that.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (08-16-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Mighty big of you Striker...Mighty bigly...Ha. There were many bewildered Brave fans during the first day. I didn't like the strategy the first day, but felt they were going to go against the grain. I will say that for all of the hand wringing this was a pretty good departure, opportunity draft. I think some lower draftees are going to be potential above average players. Add in two potential first few picks...we'd all take that.
    I loved everything after the second round so all in all, I'll take it.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,827 Posts
    Shewmake officially to AA.

What is even the point of the Fire Frogs? Braves need to get their A+ affiliate back to the Carolina League.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-16-2019), Tapate50 (08-16-2019)