Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Joyce Alene
    ‏Verified account @JoyceWhiteVance
    5h5 hours ago

The FBI reopened the 1961 bombing at 16th Baptist Church in Birmingham -

the coldest of cold cases - in 1997 & convicted 2 defendants by interviewing witnesses & uncovering new evidence.

Don’t tell me they can complete a background regarding Judge Kavanaugh’s high school conduct.

equals 36 years
    My uncle solved this case.
    Ivermectin Man

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (09-20-2018), Runnin (09-20-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Minds / lost

Isn't this what you complain about ?
    Sen Gillibrand uses even the same verbs you use when talking about oh say Steve Bannon being disinvited from a forum sponsored by The New Yorker

Except The New Yorker event was a meet and greet gabfest and this is a rape accusation (sans investigation) with a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court in the balance
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    If they think about this carefully, the GOP senators would realize they are risking a lot by rushing this through without asking the FBI to investigate. They have time to fill this Supreme Court vacancy before the new Congress is sworn in. I believe the other finalists have already had their background checks done, which should help save time on the process.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Isn't this what you complain about ?
    Sen Gillibrand uses even the same verbs you use when talking about oh say Steve Bannon being disinvited from a forum sponsored by The New Yorker

Except The New Yorker event was a meet and greet gabfest and this is a rape accusation (sans investigation) with a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court in the balance
    Yes, not allowing someone to speak is silencing them.

Publicly inviting someone to speak, either privately or in public, is not silencing in a rational person's mind

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Capital P small a small t small r small o small n small i small z small i small n small g.

Once was told the highest form of insult

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Kyle Griffin
    ‏Verified account @kylegriffin1
    4h4 hours ago

Mazie Hirono tells ABC that Chuck Grassley's

claim that Republicans have done everything they can

to contact Dr. Ford "is such bull**** I can hardly stand it."
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    My uncle solved this case.
    That’s cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    My point was that the back and forth escalation by both sides has landed us here. That's not something I would be hopeful of either side continuing.

Kagan and Sotomayor aren't as far to the left as Roberts and Kavanaugh are to the right? Perhaps, if your view is from the left side. It certainly seems like Roberts has crossed over on more high impact cases than any of the liberals on the court have.

I agree that the way Garland was handled was slimy. That's easily the most legitimate complaint either side has in my mind.

Do you really find your list of grievances in the last paragraph more odious than the Ds identity politics, open borders to import voters, ever more handouts to buy votes, attacks on the parts of the Bill of Rights they don't like, calls to abolish ICE, and calling Every. Single. Person. who disagrees with them racist/sexist/whateverist? (Fun fact- I was once called a racist for having a Herman Cain bumper sticker.) That doesn't get into the nearly continual and almost completely one sided stream of propaganda from academia and media.

As for federal judiciary allies...how many states voted to legalize gay marriage prior to the federal judiciary forcing it on them? How many states would deem a viable pregnancy to be a person with rights, if the federal judiciary would let them?

It doesn't sound to me that picking sides like kids in an elementary school yard and hoping for continued escalation is the best way forward.
    I agree that there has been back-and-forth escalation around the federal judiciary, but my point was that opposing a candidate with massive disqualifying red flags (Bork, Thomas) does not fall into that category.

And, yes, I’m comfortable saying that the Scalia-Thomas-Alito axis and their successors are further to the right than Soto-Kagan-RGB-Breyer. It’s not global, but Sotomayor and RGB have solidly liberal records, Breyer and Kagan center-left, Roberts center-right, Alito solidly right, Scalia (and his successor) significantly further to the right, and Thomas further still. Kavanaugh would slot in somewhere between Alito and Thomas/Gorsuch, based on his record. Multiple analyses have been done on this, Google them as you will.

As for the bolded section, I’m talking about, in most of these cases, concrete actions that have been taken to undermine the democratic process. You’re talking about political tactics that you don’t like. Like, to crib from my man sturg, I’m talking data and you’re talking emotion. Nebulous cries of “identity politics” mean what, exactky, compared to federal court cases identifying states who tried to make it harder for people to vote, on the basis of race? Let’s just stipulate that you’re right on one point, and say that “open borders” policies are a means to “import” voters. Now, first we have to acknowledge that were using politically charged language which in and of itself assume certain conclusions. Next, it’s worth pointing out that some of the biggest proponents of so-called “open borders” are the Chamber of Commerce Republican types. Finally, my question is that if people achieve citizenship, why should they not be allowed and encouraged to vote? I want everybody who is eligible to vote to do so. Don’t you? Do you think that reflects the current culture of the Republican party?

Basically, I’m giving you concrete examples about how one party (the one that’s lost the popular vote in seven of the last eight presidential elections) is trying to consolidate minority rule, and you’re responding with stuff you don’t like about political discourse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Wow at Ed Whelan's twitter. WTF is he thinking? He better have Garrett ready to state that he's the one who committed the assault. If not then wow.
    thank you weso1!

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    While Ford's lawyer is fundraising for Democrats, Ford insists of no questions from lawyers, only senators, and Kauvanaugh can't be there and must go first.

Gosh. Lots going on here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    While Ford's lawyer is fundraising for Democrats, Ford insists of no questions from lawyers, only senators, and Kauvanaugh can't be there and must go first.

Gosh. Lots going on here
    Maybe you should be more specific. Ford’s lawyers, who held a fundraising event for Tammy Baldwin in her last campaign, were holding another event this year, which was scheduled before they represented Ford. Shocking.

As for the rest, is it similarly shocking that lawyers are (gasp) trying to negotiate favorable circumstances for their client? In other words, being lawyers?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Maybe you should be more specific. Ford’s lawyers, who held a fundraising event for Tammy Baldwin in her last campaign, were holding another event this year, which was scheduled before they represented Ford. Shocking.

As for the rest, is it similarly shocking that lawyers are (gasp) trying to negotiate favorable circumstances for their client? In other words, being lawyers?
    Deep State.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Wow at Ed Whelan's twitter. WTF is he thinking? He better have Garrett ready to state that he's the one who committed the assault. If not then wow.
    What makes this more wow is that Whelan isn’t just some schmoe, but has been heavily involved with the Federalist Society’s effort to support Kavanaugh. So this appears to be a coordinated part of that effort.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-21-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    John Harwood

Verified account

@JohnJHarwood
    Follow Follow @JohnJHarwood
    More
    Hugh Hewitt 2/16 on Obama’s nomination of Merrick Garland: “Republicans are under no obligation to hold a hearing much less a vote”

Hewitt 9/18 decrying allegations against Kavanaugh: “Seriously, due process is a real concept, deeply embedded in Anglo-American law and politics”

pointing out the blatant hypocrisy is old and tired but goddamn it never ends.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    What makes this more wow is that Whelan isn’t just some schmoe, but has been heavily involved with the Federalist Society’s effort to support Kavanaugh. So this appears to be a coordinated part of that effort.
    if kavanaugh had anything to do with crafting it, it's automatically disqualifying. that is some horrible, perverse judgement.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Let’s just stipulate that you’re right on one point, and say that “open borders” policies are a means to “import” voters. Now, first we have to acknowledge that were using politically charged language which in and of itself assume certain conclusions. Next, it’s worth pointing out that some of the biggest proponents of so-called “open borders” are the Chamber of Commerce Republican types. Finally, my question is that if people achieve citizenship, why should they not be allowed and encouraged to vote? I want everybody who is eligible to vote to do so. Don’t you? Do you think that reflects the current culture of the Republican party?
    The three main tenets of the Democrat's immigration policy are oppose additional border security, sanctuary cities, and amnesty with a path to citizenship. Now it looks like they are going to follow Ocasio-Cortez down the rabbit hole of pushing for the abolishment of ICE. Neither of us is naive enough to think that is only because of the goodness in their hearts. Sanctuary city laws exist, meeting your bar of "concrete actions." As a party, the Democrats have taken the "concrete action" of opposing and sinking any immigration reform legislation that either includes additional physical barriers or does not include amnesty. Again, this is an action taken to achieve a desired result of changing the electorate, which will, in your words, "undermine the democratic process."
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    All I can think of is Russell Crowe going out to his workshop in A Beautiful Mind.

Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    The three main tenets of the Democrat's immigration policy are oppose additional border security, sanctuary cities, and amnesty with a path to citizenship. Now it looks like they are going to follow Ocasio-Cortez down the rabbit hole of pushing for the abolishment of ICE. Neither of us is naive enough to think that is only because of the goodness in their hearts. Sanctuary city laws exist, meeting your bar of "concrete actions." As a party, the Democrats have taken the "concrete action" of opposing and sinking any immigration reform legislation that either includes additional physical barriers or does not include amnesty. Again, this is an action taken to achieve a desired result of changing the electorate, which will, in your words, "undermine the democratic process."
    I’ve got plenty more to say about this, but I’m not sure how I follow that people who are eligible to vote being allowed to vote is undermining the democratic process. Please explain. Is a naturalized citizen less of an American?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Super (09-21-2018)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Naturalization and citizenship are two separate things.