Page 64 of 95 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1885

Thread: Political Correctness

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    I'm almost certain I addressed your point multiple times...

No, I don't condone bad behavior today in order to make up for bad behavior yesterday.

My solution to the land ownership would for the government to buy back the land at a fair market price... and if the owner refuses, then they respect his/her wishes. Did the owner commit a crime to obtain the land? If not, why are you OK with taking it away from them in order to avenge an old wrong?

Julio - I have a question. Do you think the right thing to do is treat everyone as individuals and therefore protect individual rights? If so, why are you cynical about doing exactly that? You keep saying you are not coming from a place of revenge, but you very clearly are because you keep dredging about the past in order to justify bad behavior today.

If you believe in group rights, then we will never agree and we can move on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Ted Cruz heckled out of DC restaurant because his dad killed JFK.

No, really President said so

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Matthew Yglesias

Verified account

@mattyglesias
    3m3 minutes ago
    More
    It’s pretty wild that a Trump-loving billionaire who uses his power to shut down media outlets he dislikes & opposes democracy as a political system sits on the board of Facebook but every day we’re reading takes about free speech on campus.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    wow political correctness sure is getting crazy
    shocking that this doesn't gain the attention of certain people tho.

Dominic Holden

Verified account

@dominicholden
    Follow Follow @dominicholden
    More
    Texas AG @KenPaxtonTX is trying to intervene in a federal court case to argue that a black girl had to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance — she’d sat down. Texas contends the girl needed parental permission to remain seated.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    wow political correctness sure is getting crazy
    shocking that this doesn't gain the attention of certain people tho.

Dominic Holden

Verified account

@dominicholden
    Follow Follow @dominicholden
    More
    Texas AG @KenPaxtonTX is trying to intervene in a federal court case to argue that a black girl had to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance — she’d sat down. Texas contends the girl needed parental permission to remain seated.
    Looks like a violation of individual rights to me

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I'm almost certain I addressed your point multiple times...

No, I don't condone bad behavior today in order to make up for bad behavior yesterday.

My solution to the land ownership would for the government to buy back the land at a fair market price... and if the owner refuses, then they respect his/her wishes. Did the owner commit a crime to obtain the land? If not, why are you OK with taking it away from them in order to avenge an old wrong?

Julio - I have a question. Do you think the right thing to do is treat everyone as individuals and therefore protect individual rights? If so, why are you cynical about doing exactly that? You keep saying you are not coming from a place of revenge, but you very clearly are because you keep dredging about the past in order to justify bad behavior today.

If you believe in group rights, then we will never agree and we can move on.
    This really leads me to question your oft-stated aversion to double standards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Feels like super should watch this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    This really leads me to question your oft-stated aversion to double standards.
    Go on....

And when you're done, feel free to answer my direct question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Go on....

And when you're done, feel free to answer my direct question.
    I don’t understand your direct question. You seem to be confusing the issue, or perhaps being confused by it. Things can be more than one thing. An immoral legal order (or a de facto order, as in the Jim Crow South) can explicitly discriminate against a group of people, and also, necessarily, violate their rights as individuals. I can believe in individual rights, while also noting (as Jonah Goldberg did) that collective action is often the most expedient means to guaranteeing the deliverance of individual rights—womens’ suffrage, civil rights, and LGBT rights movements being notable examples. While you may demogogue this as eek group rights, the fact is that legislation to this effect is guaranteeing the rights of individuals. I can be me and still be part of us.

Whatever problems exist with land reform in South Africa, it’s a process to redress what I assume you would consider to be a massive violation of individual rights, i.e. legal title to A’s land being revoked and awarded to B, with A having no recourse because they were disenfranchised and denied the basic rights of full citizenship. So, fast-forward a couple of decades, when a new constitution is written that fully recognizes the personhood and citizenship of A. A then enters into a process of adjudication—based on the violation of their individual rights—which may, in extremis, after a legal process and appeal and buyout attempts, etc, involve the expropriation of land belonging to B. This can be viewed solely as an issue of law and justice, rather than an issue of race or “group rights.” I get that both black and white South Africans may view it differently, because it’s perhaps inextricably bound to their particular traumas, but it’s still a legal issue, and an issue of individual rights, at its core.

We’re not talking about ancient history here. We’re talking about stuff that happened in our lifetimes, so spare me the dredging up history bit. The double standard is this:

People got their **** taken because the law didn’t consider them people. There’s no question that their rights, as a libertarian would understand them, were egregiously violated. What you’re saying is that the results of a legal process that existed under apartheid law are ok, and should stand in perpetuity because it happened yesterday, and our concern for individual’s rights should only extend to things that happened today. Meanwhile, a legal process undertaken by a democratic and representative government to redress the violation of these rights should be considered as invalid and merely revanchist.

Now, I’m not going to argue that the issue hasn’t been demagogued in revanchist fashion, nor should you argue that it hasn’t been utterly stripped of context and demagogued by opposing forces. I’m merely asking why your oft-repeated concern for individual rights, and your likewise repeated abhorrence of double standards don’t trip you up here. Why do individual rights matter today, but not when these offenses were committed, well within the lifetimes of many of the principal actors?

It’s the same question on the domestic front. Why are you a supporter of the Confederacy and an apologist for secession when those very ideas explicitly embraced and endorsed—and were, in fact, born of—the most significant violation of individual rights in the history of our nation?

WRT South Africa, I’m inclined to say that a legal process undertaken by a fully representative government is more valid than a legal process undertaken by a radically anti-democratic government. If, in extremis, it results in the expropriation of property, I’d say that it was still the lesser of two evils. What I’m positing may be imperfect, but it seems a damn sight better than merely accepting the result of an barely-comprehensible crime of history.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    I'll address your long post when I'm home... But in the meantime, can we please be more like Sweden?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    I had to look up the reasoning behind this and it was as absurd as you would expect. Its sexist because it shows a man being attracted to a womans apperance.....
    Really..... and the original was about wanting to work somewhere else so both women were labeled as jobs. They say thats sexist because it says you can change girlfriend like changing jobs...... which is ridiculous. You can dump your gf at anytime just as you can quit your job at any time.

We have a word for people we like that we dont want to have sex with. Its called "friends".
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I had to look up the reasoning behind this and it was as absurd as you would expect. Its sexist because it shows a man being attracted to a womans apperance.....
    Really..... and the original was about wanting to work somewhere else so both women were labeled as jobs. They say thats sexist because it says you can change girlfriend like changing jobs...... which is ridiculous. You can dump your gf at anytime just as you can quit your job at any time.

We have a word for people we like that we dont want to have sex with. Its called "friends".
    Also being sexually attracted to someone is not sexist lol

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I don’t understand your direct question. You seem to be confusing the issue, or perhaps being confused by it. Things can be more than one thing. An immoral legal order (or a de facto order, as in the Jim Crow South) can explicitly discriminate against a group of people, and also, necessarily, violate their rights as individuals. I can believe in individual rights, while also noting (as Jonah Goldberg did) that collective action is often the most expedient means to guaranteeing the deliverance of individual rights—womens’ suffrage, civil rights, and LGBT rights movements being notable examples. While you may demogogue this as eek group rights, the fact is that legislation to this effect is guaranteeing the rights of individuals. I can be me and still be part of us.

Whatever problems exist with land reform in South Africa, it’s a process to redress what I assume you would consider to be a massive violation of individual rights, i.e. legal title to A’s land being revoked and awarded to B, with A having no recourse because they were disenfranchised and denied the basic rights of full citizenship. So, fast-forward a couple of decades, when a new constitution is written that fully recognizes the personhood and citizenship of A. A then enters into a process of adjudication—based on the violation of their individual rights—which may, in extremis, after a legal process and appeal and buyout attempts, etc, involve the expropriation of land belonging to B. This can be viewed solely as an issue of law and justice, rather than an issue of race or “group rights.” I get that both black and white South Africans may view it differently, because it’s perhaps inextricably bound to their particular traumas, but it’s still a legal issue, and an issue of individual rights, at its core.

We’re not talking about ancient history here. We’re talking about stuff that happened in our lifetimes, so spare me the dredging up history bit. The double standard is this:

People got their **** taken because the law didn’t consider them people. There’s no question that their rights, as a libertarian would understand them, were egregiously violated. What you’re saying is that the results of a legal process that existed under apartheid law are ok, and should stand in perpetuity because it happened yesterday, and our concern for individual’s rights should only extend to things that happened today. Meanwhile, a legal process undertaken by a democratic and representative government to redress the violation of these rights should be considered as invalid and merely revanchist.

Now, I’m not going to argue that the issue hasn’t been demagogued in revanchist fashion, nor should you argue that it hasn’t been utterly stripped of context and demagogued by opposing forces. I’m merely asking why your oft-repeated concern for individual rights, and your likewise repeated abhorrence of double standards don’t trip you up here. Why do individual rights matter today, but not when these offenses were committed, well within the lifetimes of many of the principal actors?

It’s the same question on the domestic front. Why are you a supporter of the Confederacy and an apologist for secession when those very ideas explicitly embraced and endorsed—and were, in fact, born of—the most significant violation of individual rights in the history of our nation?

WRT South Africa, I’m inclined to say that a legal process undertaken by a fully representative government is more valid than a legal process undertaken by a radically anti-democratic government. If, in extremis, it results in the expropriation of property, I’d say that it was still the lesser of two evils. What I’m positing may be imperfect, but it seems a damn sight better than merely accepting the result of an barely-comprehensible crime of history.
    I'll hop in on this one. I will say that I'm only vaguely informed on the South African situation, so I'll just be speaking to how I would handle this if were the tyrant of South Africa.

Also, forewarning that I tend to lean libertarian like sturg33 so I'll often be really concerned with things like the protection of negative individual rights and an adherence to the non-aggression principle (although I'm not without wiggle room). Just to get my bias out of the way.

I think the problem is determining what you mean by individual rights. If you are talking about a single individual who can prove that he had land unjustly confiscated or stolen under apartheid and can point to the direct beneficiary of that, then obviously some legal decisions need to be made to recompensate that person. However if we are just speaking about one identity group against another identity group, that is full of both victims and non-victims, perpetrators and non-perpetrators, then I think creating broad legislation that will unilaterally take away land without any regard for circumstance is unjust. Stuff like this needs to be really, really specific with individuals filing individual grievances. And I'm a firm not on generational victimhood. Meaning that just because my grandfather stole your grandfather's land, I should be under no LEGAL obligation to give it back. I understand that sorting all that out seems like a monumental, almost impossible, task for a government to undertake. But I think in the case of South Africa its the only way to make sure that as few people as possible have their rights trampled on. Also, if you want to draw up some form of subsidized compensation for those who may have been tangential victims under apartheid, fine. But it can't come at the cost of direct unilateral land seizures or anything like that.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    He’s absolutely, 180 degrees off when talking about suicide rates among the transgender community. He’s wrong, specifically, in his characterization of the study he referenced, the conclusions of which directly refute what he’s claiming.
    His claim that it makes virtually no difference in suicidality whether someone recognizes you as transgender or not is 100% factual according to the Anderson school study. That study found:

"People can tell I'm transgender/GNC":

Always: 42%
    Most of the time: 45%
    Sometimes: 41%
    Occasionally: 41%
    Never: 36%

The percentage is the suicide rate amongst their respective answer categories. I rate his claim: True.

For those interested in the study: https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.e...port-Final.pdf

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    His claim that it makes virtually no difference in suicidality whether someone recognizes you as transgender or not is 100% factual according to the Anderson school study. That study found:

The percentage is the suicide rate amongst their respective answer categories. I rate his claim: True.

For those interested in the study: https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.e...port-Final.pdf
    I’m not the only person that can see those numbers decreasing, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts

I will repeat: that’s not a suicide rate. That’s a suicide attempt rate.

Thank you for posting the link to the study. I already posted it, and referred to the specific pages that refute the conclusion that legal and cultural acceptance has no impact on suicidality. So I’m really not sure what you’re getting at here.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts

Thank you for posting the link to the study. I already posted it, and referred to the specific pages that refute the conclusion that legal and cultural acceptance has no impact on suicidality. So I’m really not sure what you’re getting at here.
    Even then, I’m unclear on his specific argument. People being able to “tell someone is transgender” would seem to be an example of being seen as different. Ideally you’d not want attention brought to being transgender when the alternative is most likely being seen as the gender to which you identify.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Via Salon:

Graham, Maher joked during his opening monologue, had long been “familiar” with the “back door.” But, the comedian concluded, as a “beta male,” Graham had grown accustomed to living in the shadow of his “alpha,” recently deceased Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz. With McCain’s passing, Maher said, Graham had taken to President Donald Trump.

“Lindsey Graham needs the stabilizing influence of his dead boyfriend,” Maher joked to an outburst of laughter from his panelists, including CNN’s April Ryan and author Max Boot.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

The claim that Shapiro made was that it makes virtually no difference if someone recognizes you as transgender, in regards to rate at which transgenders attempt suicide. And yeah I should have put attempt rate. I don't think that changes anything substantially in regards to this conversation. But that very specific claim made by Shapiro and is clearly supported by the study's numbers. Those numbers show little correlation to suicide attempt rates and how society perceives transgender people. Shapiro's basic claim in almost all of that video is that the transgender suicide rate remains WAYYYYY higher than the rest of the population regardless of experience. The first highlighted quote in the study is "“Overall, the most striking finding of our analysis was the exceptionally high prevalence of lifetime suicide attempts reported by NTDS respondents across all demographics and experiences.” Meaning that their suicide rates remain exceptionally high regardless of what modern treatments or experiences they may have. Which absolutely lends credence to his argument that transgenderism is a mental illness.

To be fair, I am more in the "could be" a mental illness camp. The issue has become so politicized that I don't think any fair minded scientific analysis can even be done to prove one way or another. But the data does seem to suggest that being transgender leads to a really really difficult life and the data also suggests that the main variable in that is the transgenderism itself, and not necessarily how society treats you. And that is the main point that I extracted from the Shapiro video, and its one that I agree with.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    The claim that Shapiro made was that it makes virtually no difference if someone recognizes you as transgender, in regards to rate at which transgenders attempt suicide. And yeah I should have put attempt rate. I don't think that changes anything substantially in regards to this conversation. But that very specific claim made by Shapiro and is clearly supported by the study's numbers. Those numbers show little correlation to suicide attempt rates and how society perceives transgender people. Shapiro's basic claim in almost all of that video is that the transgender suicide rate remains WAYYYYY higher than the rest of the population regardless of experience. The first highlighted quote in the study is "“Overall, the most striking finding of our analysis was the exceptionally high prevalence of lifetime suicide attempts reported by NTDS respondents across all demographics and experiences.” Meaning that their suicide rates remain exceptionally high regardless of what modern treatments or experiences they may have. Which absolutely lends credence to his argument that transgenderism is a mental illness.

To be fair, I am more in the "could be" a mental illness camp. The issue has become so politicized that I don't think any fair minded scientific analysis can even be done to prove one way or another. But the data does seem to suggest that being transgender leads to a really really difficult life and the data also suggests that the main variable in that is the transgenderism itself, and not necessarily how society treats you. And that is the main point that I extracted from the Shapiro video, and its one that I agree with.
    But there is a bit of "chicken/egg" that goes on in the debate. Does the mental illness result from the transgenderism or the transgenderism from the mental illness? If one has felt at odds with one's gender from a very early age, it's probably going to result in depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, or any number of other unhealthy coping devices up to and including suicide. I'm not saying that all people who declare themselves transgender are truly transgender (I say this because I know several transgender individuals and have talked with them about their experience). There can be a shock value to the declaration that might fuel some to run it up the flagpole, but, again, that wasn't the experience with those transgender individuals with whom I have met.