Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SATURDAY MINORS FINAL 5/11/19: Gwinnett walkoff win; Riley homers again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I don’t think this is just a hot streak. I think he’s turned the corner as a hitter. If he was striking out more while hitting more homers then that would be another story but he’s not. I’d say he’s a top 15 prospect by mid season at this rate. We dodged a bullet not trading him for JTR.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    As long as the reports on his of defense arent atrocious he should be called up immediately.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Pache back in the Mississippi lineup today.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    I’m probably the only person who thinks it’s funny, but he’s hitting so many HRs that his BABIP isn’t the driving force behind his BA because HRs don’t count as balls in play.

A talented writer could come up with a snazzy stat showing how absurd it is that he has 14 HRs and 18 singles.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Ok, here’s the snazzy stat...

Riley’s BA is .309.

Riley’s BABIP is .304.

I can’t remember a time I’ve seen a BA higher than a BABIP.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Riley’s BA is .309.

Riley’s BABIP is .304.

Me neither. At least not in a sample this large. Riley is doing some pretty silly things at the moment.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts

Riley’s BA is .309.

Riley’s BABIP is .304.

That might change today.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Me neither. At least not in a sample this large. Riley is doing some pretty silly things at the moment.
    ARod did it a couple times. Bonds did it over his entire career.

It’s a combination of hitting a lot of HRs and not striking out very often.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    ARod did it a couple times. Bonds did it over his entire career.

It’s a combination of hitting a lot of HRs and not striking out very often.
    Which brings us to the amazing Ted Williams.

Career BA: 344
    Career BABIP: 328

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I don’t think this is just a hot streak. I think he’s turned the corner as a hitter. If he was striking out more while hitting more homers then that would be another story but he’s not. I’d say he’s a top 15 prospect by mid season at this rate. We dodged a bullet not trading him for JTR.
    This is why I don’t like to make big prospect trades unless you are really that one player away and that one player needs to be a BIG difference maker. Boston’s trade for Sale comes to mind. Chicago went all in the year they won...it turned out well. On the flip side, it turned out horrible on the Quintana trade.

Either way, because Flowers and BMac have played so well...we would have gained nothing and gave away some possible key future players in the future and if Flowers and BMac would have not done that well...it would have still been too much to give up.

It is definitely frustrating for the team to spin it’s wheels a bit this year, but we have been very lucky. Soroka is healthy and dominating ...Fried is doing very well. Riley, Pache and Waters are all out performing expectations. Ozzie and Acuna are locked up forever. This has been a very good year. We are set up for a very, very long run.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-13-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    This is why I don’t like to make big prospect trades unless you are really that one player away and that one player needs to be a BIG difference maker. Boston’s trade for Sale comes to mind. Chicago went all in the year they won...it turned out well. On the flip side, it turned out horrible on the Quintana trade.

Either way, because Flowers and BMac have played so well...we would have gained nothing and gave away some possible key future players in the future and if Flowers and BMac would have not done that well...it would have still been too much to give up.

It is definitely frustrating for the team to spin it’s wheels a bit this year, but we have been very lucky. Soroka is healthy and dominating ...Fried is doing very well. Riley, Pache and Waters are all out performing expectations. Ozzie and Acuna are locked up forever. This has been a very good year. We are set up for a very, very long run.
    yes...prospect hoarding and strict insistence on getting value are very good principles for operating a team...of course the devil is in the details
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts

It might not feel like a great year but I agree that this year has set the Braves up very nicely for a long time and that is a very great thing.
    Coppy

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    It might not feel like a great year but I agree that this year has set the Braves up very nicely for a long time and that is a very great thing.
    Yep, may not win the division or even make the playoffs but the team is set up to be good for a very long time.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    yes...prospect hoarding and strict insistence on getting value are very good principles for operating a team...of course the devil is in the details
    The thing with prospects (except for a few), you always have surprises and disappointments. With a farm as good as ours...you have to be a bit more careful. There have been so many high ceiling prospects in our system the last few years...it’s just different.

Early last year if ask us to choose between Fried and Gohora...we all pick Gohora. Things can change quick. It’s why you keep as many as you can keep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    The thing with prospects (except for a few), you always have surprises and disappointments. With a farm as good as ours...you have to be a bit more careful. There have been so many high ceiling prospects in our system the last few years...it’s just different.

Early last year if ask us to choose between Fried and Gohora...we all pick Gohora. Things can change quick. It’s why you keep as many as you can keep.
    Off topic but the Justin Upton trade looking pretty good if Fried can keep it up. Justin also netted us Mallex which netted us Gohara. Wish there was some news on Gohara because his raw stuff is filthy but shoulders are scary.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

Riley’s BA is .309.

Riley’s BABIP is .304.

wait really? i've been seeing this more lately...some guys in the MLB even. this year so far: yelich, trout, bregman, matt chapman, michael brantley, alex gordon, arenado.
    jose ramirez did it over all of last year.
    maybe i'm misunderstanding what you mean
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg