Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: GDT- 8/11/18- THE NIGHT OF THE ATTACK OF THE DUVALL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Btw one poster wanted to take Teheran out after 5 tonight. Imo that would have been sub-optimal but not indefensible. Ditto for the poster who suggested Biddle in the 7th and Brach in the 8th. And ditto for the one who wanted Teheran to start the 7th. Anyhow that's my opinion on these matters.

The optimal choices imho were Teheran in the 6th, Brach in the 7th, Venters in the 8th and Minter in the 9th. Nothing is guaranteed, however. Maybe Venters or Minter would have blown the game.

The good news is we have another game tomorrow to argue about bullpen usage.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 08-11-2018 at 09:08 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Yeah, I go Venters but the move to Biddle doesn't deserve the type of crap I've seen thrown around here and even elsewhere. It's not great but it's not terrible and definitely game costing. I feel the Brewers were overdue to put up runs and nothing was guaranteed even with optimal moves and outside 1 solid hit it came in a dumb as crap way instead of hitting the ball hard, like they can do.

The one move that I don't like period though is benching guys that crush lefties at any time. Flowers should've been in today and Suzuki tomorrow.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    This was a bad loss. Not because the Brewers are bad but because we definitely should have won this one.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-11-2018), jpx7 (08-12-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Asdrubal Cabrera may end up being the difference in the nl east. He keeps driving in runs for the Phillies while we have a weakness on the left side. If the braves had got him, braves chances would be much better in east

6. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-12-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Asdrubal Cabrera may end up being the difference in the nl east. He keeps driving in runs for the Phillies while we have a weakness on the left side. If the braves had got him, braves chances would be much better in east
    yeah him or Solarte would have been nice

"I am your retribution."

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Biddle gets a pass but we can't be having that happen any longer! Snitker botched the bullpen of course, JT could have gone seven.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Acuña’s Bat Flip For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-12-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Venters is the only LOOGY on the roster and was acquired for that role specifically.

Venters was burned in the first game of the Nats DH while the Braves were up by several runs.

Venters has had 3 days of rest, and didnt pitch against a team stacked with good LH hitters in a very close game.

That usage of Venters is simply inexcusible, no matter what the outcome was. The only LOOGY on the roster isn’t being used optimally...not even close.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Acuña’s Bat Flip (08-12-2018), Braves1976 (08-12-2018), Garmel (08-11-2018), jpx7 (08-12-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Venters is the only LOOGY on the roster and was acquired for that role specifically.

Venters was burned in the first game of the Nats DH while the Braves were up by several runs.

Venters has had 3 days of rest, and didnt pitch against a team stacked with good LH hitters in a very close game.

That usage of Venters is simply inexcusible, no matter what the outcome was. The only LOOGY on the roster isn’t being used optimally...not even close.
    I've come a long way, I 100% agree with you on this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie's Chainz View Post
    I've come a long way, I 100% agree with you on this.
    but the two of you disagreed by 2 innings on when Teheran should have been removed...a lot of these decisions are close calls

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I can't make my position any clearer. The optimal move imo was Venters. Biddle was sub-optimal but not indefensible. That's how I see it. There is a world out there between sub-optimal and indefensible.
    My "challenge" certainly isn't personal (you've always been great at understanding that), but it still stands.

"Biddle's been pitching well" is the argument you guys would expect to hear from me or another non-numbers inclined poster. As one of those who's consistently been ridiculed as being a non-numbers guy I will say it's a little comical to hear any of you guys "hedge your bets".

Don't misunderstand, I (and I'd guess many other old-school holdouts) am learning and adjusting to think pretty similarly because of what we've learned from you guys - but dancing around and calling running Biddle out there instead of Venters "non-optimal but not indefensible" is pretty comical. We all see the same numbers you do, and many of us are starting to understand too. Running Biddle out there against a bunch of LH hitters was pretty stupid, no matter how well he's been pitching.

Believe in the numbers to whatever extent you choose, and that's OK - just stand by them when they backfire and no one has any reason to question you. Start hedging your bets when trying to soften the *itching you know Snit's going to get when he goes against those precious numbers and people start to challenge you.

I thought (and even texted several friends at the time) that bringing Biddle in at that point was a HUGE mistake, simply because I was looking at some of the numbers you guys like to point to.

A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while, but not terribly often. Just like y'all continuously point out, *hit happens. Your numbers are right the vast majority of the time, so spout them.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    but the two of you disagreed by 2 innings on when Teheran should have been removed...a lot of these decisions are close calls
    LOL, I have to crawl before I walk.