Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Braves in talks w/ NL West club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    Peter Gammons just said we don't want to trade Julio or Simba but may have to bc of their contracts.
    I saw that tweet but read it differently. I think the contracts are part of the reason they don't want to trade those guys. I think they might have to trade one to get the pieces needed to continue the rebuild.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-12-2015), JohnAdcox (11-12-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Yeah in division should cost more. But Simmons has a ton of value and won't be had for peanuts. Finally we're in the drivers seat for once it seems.
    This is the reason I've said all along that I do think they should at least "listen" on everyone. All it takes is one team (with Simba/Freeman/Miller/Teheran as that one inexpensive piece that they NEED) to be willing to give up an absolute haul for one of our "untouchables" to make their plan come together.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-12-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    have to agree, i could see a move happen at the winter meetings though....

it is kinda wierd that this news would come out this early. you would think that if this is true which it seems to be, the braves brass clearly want this to be priority 1A or 1B. (other being AJ re-sign)

Not necessarily. Dombrowski has said that things were much further along this winter than he'd seen in the past. If you're a contender able to strike early and add a Simmons or whomever early on, the "Aces" are still available to you as well.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not necessarily. Dombrowski has said that things were much further along this winter than he'd seen in the past. If you're a contender able to strike early and add a Simmons or whomever early on, the "Aces" are still available to you as well.
    True. I'm sure a lot of teams would love to check off SS from the list early and it be someone affordable enough so they can still grab a FA or two.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sc1767 View Post
    I think they handled the teardown part just fine, the building back I'll believe it when I see it.
    That's fair. Of course trading one (or more) of the more valuable assets than we've already traded away will certainly add even better pieces to help with that building process.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    It really pains me to say this but I think the right move is to continue through with a complete tear down. Trade Freeman, Shelby, Simmons, Teheran and Maybin. After the draft and international signings in July the farm system would be ridiculous. If we traded those players I think we would be a near lock for the #1 pick, possibly for 2-3 years. Then when those young players come up we try and lock as many up as early as possible and buy out a couple free agent years. The amount we save from the good contracts should drastically outweigh the ones that go Hinske on us. Then only bring in mid tier or lower free agents. That should get us back to winning in 2020 much like the Astros and Cubs this year.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    One thing I do find funny is that one of the huge sellings points on getting Olivera was that he would be an above average player (say 2-3 WAR range) but being paid way under market value which let them spend money elsewhere to fix the team. Thus sending a quality left handed started and a top 50 prospect for him was ok (to some). Yet the Braves have that type of player in Simmons and they are trying to trade him. Hopefully all of this is just putting his name out there and seeing if someone bites on giving up the moon for him.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

goldfly (11-12-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    If we are going to do a COMPLETE tear down, then Olivera makes no sense. I think he is the key to saying we won't do it.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    And I thought you said you'd never be back then.
    what?
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Fangraphs suggested a Puig for Simmons based swap.
    Ivermectin Man

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    AJ and Puig in the same clubhouse could be entertaining.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    no chance on a one for one. however, Puig might make HO feel more at home and they could do some damage on the ATL night life.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    One thing I do find funny is that one of the huge sellings points on getting Olivera was that he would be an above average player (say 2-3 WAR range) but being paid way under market value which let them spend money elsewhere to fix the team. Thus sending a quality left handed started and a top 50 prospect for him was ok (to some). Yet the Braves have that type of player in Simmons and they are trying to trade him. Hopefully all of this is just putting his name out there and seeing if someone bites on giving up the moon for him.
    ^ yep ^

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (11-12-2015), JohnAdcox (11-12-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    ^ yep ^
    The caveat to all of that is that we have a cheap high ceiling SS waiting to take his place in Albies. All those things don't apply in the Olivera department (positionwise).
    Ivermectin Man

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    no chance on a one for one. however, Puig might make HO feel more at home and they could do some damage on the ATL night life.
    Always have to take account the economic side of things. Maybe one of the caveots of the new stadium is a strip club close by so even though we'd be paying them millions, they would also be reinvesting it back into us!

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    The caveat to all of that is that we have a cheap high ceiling SS waiting to take his place in Albies. All those things don't apply in the Olivera department (positionwise).
    I'd rather trade Albies then move a sure thing in Simmons.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

goldfly (11-12-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    I read that article and it was interesting. Puig has high end talent and is still really young. His contract isn't that much but doesn't run for as long as Simmons'. His clubhouse reputation and injury history make him a risky move but if he was a model citizen and durable player he probably wouldn't even be available. That would probably be a pretty fair swap actually.

I wouldn't be as afraid of Puig's personality issues here with Fredi as manager and Olivera on the team. They might have an impact on him.

CF Mallex, RF Puig, LF Markakis, 1B Freddie, 3B Olivera, C AJ, 2B Peterson, SS Whoever (wish we still had Peraza). That's a better lineup than last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    I'd rather trade Albies then move a sure thing in Simmons.
    What if it meant getting a sure thing back?

I think everyone will admit that trading Simmons for a sore armed pitcher would be incredibly stupid but what if you could get a sure thing piece back? At that point you're just betting more on Albies being something than what you have at the other position. For example, if we got a 3B of equivalent value for Simmons then we'd essentially be shifting our lack of a 3B to a lack of a SS and we have Albies as an option at SS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    If we can get Peraza back in the deal I might do it. Swing a trade for Lucroy and all of a sudden we have the makings of a decent offense. Puig makes 25 million over 3 years and Lucroy less than 10 million over 2 years. I think we could do some king of deal with the Brewers like Lucroy, KRod, and Matt Garza for prospects with the Brewers paying a portion of Garza's salary depending on the quality of prospects we give them. Garza I think is a good change of scenery candidate. KRod gives us a durable veteran closer. In no way should we bet on the health of Vizcaino. That would put us right about at our max budget.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I read that article and it was interesting. Puig has high end talent and is still really young. His contract isn't that much but doesn't run for as long as Simmons'. His clubhouse reputation and injury history make him a risky move but if he was a model citizen and durable player he probably wouldn't even be available. That would probably be a pretty fair swap actually.

I wouldn't be as afraid of Puig's personality issues here with Fredi as manager and Olivera on the team. They might have an impact on him.

CF Mallex, RF Puig, LF Markakis, 1B Freddie, 3B Olivera, C AJ, 2B Peterson, SS Whoever (wish we still had Peraza). That's a better lineup than last year.
    If we are dealing with the Dodgers again and Simmons is involved, if Peraza is not headed back then I am not interested in the deal. That would solve 2 issues there...lead off hitter/SS replacement, and right handed hitter.

SS Peraza
    CF Maybin
    1B Freeman
    RF Puig
    LF Markakis
    3B Olivera
    2B Peterson
    C Bethancourt/AJ

Though now the scary part of that would be Wood, Johnson, Symba for Peraza (who we originally had), Puig, and Olivera.......
    Last edited by bravesfanforlife88; 11-12-2015 at 03:45 PM.