Page 35 of 62 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: HRC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I am going to go against the grain and say this election has been invigorating.

We are watching democracy work as designed.

The debates were informative and substantive

The candidates couldn't be more different

In the next two weeks we will learn more about the composition of our national legislature

We are watching our country repudiate bigotry,misogyny and ignorance

again, we are watching in real time, democracy work
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Looks like Kate McKinnon

She probably wishes she had Kate McKinnon's approval rating as well.

57, I don't know if I would describe the election as invigorating, but I think it has unearthed a lot of the discontent that doesn't feel it has a voice in the modern political state. We see that in both Sanders and Trump. There's a lot of blame to go around in the current situation, but I think the overweening policy wonkishness of the Left and the Rovian slicing-and-dicing of the electorate into minute communities to be targeted with infinitesimally narrow messages are the major culprits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Going back to my thoughts on the 2016 definition /constitution of the Silent Majority.
    Sanders was for all intent and purposes toast in March and Trump has gotten close but never lead

Certainly discontent is out front to see proving once again the story must always have conflict to sell and if it bleeds it leads.
    What does that "discontent" mean?
    Early in the election cycle Trumps supporters ( falsely portrayed in this forum too) , were being portrayed as disgruntled because of disappearing opportunity and economic stagnancy.
    That proved to not be the defining picture of the Trump campaign. Not at all
    "Lock Her Up" ruled the day and Build that Wall "

I don't see the narrative of discontent meaning anything . Trump has a steady 30% and Sanders people pack up their toys and go home if conditions at the slightest bump in the road. Ala 2010 mid terms.
    Sanders got boat raced.
    Trump and Sanders had the splashiest pictures, the loudest voices and rallies but the down the middle policy wonk had her way and skinned them both.

This election has defined the country as a Center-Left multi cultural ----- mess :)

My point on "discontent"

Dude, if you strip away the racism, sexism, etc. of the GOP, there is barely enough left to call a political party.
    Last edited by 57Brave; 10-21-2016 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Democrats looking good in the senate, too.
    The trump Effect. Blowing up that **** party. Thx.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Going back to my thoughts on the 2016 definition /constitution of the Silent Majority.
    Sanders was for all intent and purposes toast in March and Trump has gotten close but never lead

Certainly discontent is out front to see proving once again the story must always have conflict to sell and if it bleeds it leads.
    What does that "discontent" mean?
    Early in the election cycle Trumps supporters ( falsely portrayed in this forum too) , were being portrayed as disgruntled because of disappearing opportunity and economic stagnancy.
    That proved to not be the defining picture of the Trump campaign. Not at all
    "Lock Her Up" ruled the day and Build that Wall "

I don't see the narrative of discontent meaning anything . Trump has a steady 30% and Sanders people pack up their toys and go home if conditions at the slightest bump in the road. Ala 2010 mid terms.
    Sanders got boat raced.
    Trump and Sanders had the splashiest pictures, the loudest voices and rallies but the down the middle policy wonk had her way and skinned them both.

This election has defined the country as a Center-Left multi cultural ----- mess :)

My point on "discontent"

Dude, if you strip away the racism, sexism, etc. of the GOP, there is barely enough left to call a political party.
    I agree that the media may be overplaying the "discontent" card as they are wont to do with whatever theme they come up with and although I'm not in the retail politics business anymore, I hang around the game enough to feel that voter unhappiness is elevated this year for some reason or another. Elites, both within the political parties and the country as a whole, are getting blamed for much of that. I have a healthy skepticism of the elites, but I think there is more to this year's model of voter angst than simply that. Baby boomers are getting older and retirement isn't looking as good as it did years ago (should have saved more--me included in that). Millenials see opportunity as being closed off. X-ers lost a ton in the housing crash and while they may no longer be underwater, they are still living on credit and their housing values have not recovered to the point where they can harvest equity (and buy more crap). Those still around from Hero and Silent Generations see social norms spinning out of control. It's hard to see any generation as feeling happy and secure.

Maybe it's that rash consumerism has taken over and everyone feels that politics, like the consumer product market, should be customized and everyone should get exactly what they want. We live in a double-shot, half-sweet, no-fat, caramel macchiato world and politics is always going to be a cup of watery Maxwell House. People no longer accept that part of life is going to adhere to the lowest common denomnator, with stress on the common (those things which bind us all).

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Only half of Republicans would accept Clinton, the Democratic nominee, as their president. And if she wins, nearly 70 percent said it would only be because of illegal voting or vote rigging, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Friday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Only half of Republicans would accept Clinton, the Democratic nominee, as their president. And if she wins, nearly 70 percent said it would only be because of illegal voting or vote rigging, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Friday.
    And we wonder why they support Trump. I'm just curious as to what they think they are going to do if Clinton has a clear victory - hold their breath til they turn blue? Sounds like a good idea to me.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    And we wonder why they support Trump. I'm just curious as to what they think they are going to do if Clinton has a clear victory - hold their breath til they turn blue? Sounds like a good idea to me.
    Well, it gives cover to Rs in congress to dig in their heels and deny her a honeymoon, as well as litigating the new Clinton Scandals (TM) while re-litigating all the old ones. It's gonna be great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Well, it gives cover to Rs in congress to dig in their heels and deny her a honeymoon, as well as litigating the new Clinton Scandals (TM) while re-litigating all the old ones. It's gonna be great.
    I thought their heels were already dug in up to their ankles. Now they can work on getting up their knees in obstructionism.

FWIW, I haven't heard many Rs in office saying that the election is rigged.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I thought their heels were already dug in up to their ankles. Now they can work on getting up their knees in obstructionism.

FWIW, I haven't heard many Rs in office saying that the election is rigged.
    They haven't, but if they're the kind who don't actually care to see the business of government get done, they can keep their powder dry on that issue, content that their constituents buy it.

What I'm curious about is if there's mainstream Republican support for, say, immigration reform, whether there will be a further Tea Party/Trump Caucus intra-party bloodletting in 2018.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    They haven't, but if they're the kind who don't actually care to see the business of government get done, they can keep their powder dry on that issue, content that their constituents buy it.

What I'm curious about is if there's mainstream Republican support for, say, immigration reform, whether there will be a further Tea Party/Trump Caucus intra-party bloodletting in 2018.
    Led by Curt Schilling? Seems rather far-fetched, but then . . .

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Curt needs to calm down, he said on Hardball last night that he did not want to be an experienced politician. He has seen what that has done to his party. But he is one of those that wants to go to bed in 2016 and get up in 1958 so I guess he can be overlooked. Funny part is, if the Repubs are running a normal sane candidate like Jeb Bush or Kasich they are likely winning.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I think Schilling is a straight up moron. His interview with Jake Tapper scared me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Curt needs to calm down, he said on Hardball last night that he did not want to be an experienced politician. He has seen what that has done to his party. But he is one of those that wants to go to bed in 2016 and get up in 1958 so I guess he can be overlooked. Funny part is, if the Repubs are running a normal sane candidate like Jeb Bush or Kasich they are likely winning.
    The 1958 thing is why many minority groups fear the republican party. All of this "Make America great again" bs scares they hell out of me. So you want to go back to Jim Crow? Lynchings? Slavery? Please tell me when was America great for all people? Cause what Im hearing is a bunch of white people basically saying that they want to go back to full out white supremacy. That crap scares me so I cant even look at any Republican sanely.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to njc108 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (10-22-2016), VirginiaBrave (10-22-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    If you think anything with Trump is about white supremacy then you are far too susceptible to propaganda. It's leftist fear mongering and your buying it hook line and sinker.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (10-23-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    If you think anything with Trump is about white supremacy then you are far too susceptible to propaganda. It's leftist fear mongering and your buying it hook line and sinker.
    Oh I know the Dems are terrible too. But they are more accepting of minorities. You can take Trump out of the equation and the Republican party is still scary. Remember that Paul Ryan intern photo. It was like wheres waldo to find a minority. That photo was not a true reflection of America. How about Palin and this "Real American" crap. You telling me my Grandfather who fought in WWII is not a real American? Im tired of hearing how the Left brain washes minority groups. The republicans need to actually put up or shut up. Ive seen Reupiblican areas and how there policies have hurt minorities and many poor white people. If that party keeps doing nothing for us and keeps offending us than you will keep seeing blacks and other minority groups continue to flock to the dem party.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to njc108 For This Useful Post:

VirginiaBrave (10-23-2016)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (10-24-2016), cajunrevenge (10-23-2016)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Greg Sargent Verified account
    ‏@ThePlumLineGS

Untold story of 2016: Trump didn't just implode. Clinton took on the *moral* argument over Trumpism -- and won:

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I am so happy this frickin' election is almost over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!