Arms in June, bats in July.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

yeezus (06-10-2016)

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    I was hoping for college bats. Got high school pitchers. Nothing immediate gonna be helping Teheran & Co from this draft. Here's hoping for the International signings and more Diamondback trades.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Draft is for pitchers. International will be all pitchers. All 16-18 and 5 plus years away.

We will just have to hope we can stumble into another Shelby type trade to be good

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Wentz is a good pick but I'd still rather have Riley Pint and a slot guy at 40. When you have 3 and 40 you don't dream of ending up with two guys in the 15-25 range.
    At one point Wentz was projected to go #8. Probably dropped for signability..... so potentially two top 10 and one top 25.

Time will tell of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Our track record with HS pitchers taken in the early rounds but outside the first round is not good. Here is the list of the ones we've taken between the end of the first round and the end of the third round:

Marquis, Atilano, Beau Jones, Evarts, Rasmus, Deval, Nation, Belisle, Butler, Digby, Nelson, Bacot, Reyes, Lyman, Locke, Spruill, Stoval, Fulenchek, Bell, Morton, Harrison, Stevens, Rogers, Salazar, Guardado

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    I was hoping for college bats. Got high school pitchers. Nothing immediate gonna be helping Teheran & Co from this draft. Here's hoping for the International signings and more Diamondback trades.
    If one thing is blatantly obvious about this FO, it's that they're not going to cut corners or take a guy closer to the majors if they think someone else is more talented or with a higher ceiling. Regardless of how it turns out, they're building for the long haul, and I think that's the right plan.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Draft is for pitchers. International will be all pitchers. All 16-18 and 5 plus years away.

We will just have to hope we can stumble into another Shelby type trade to be good
    ?

Arizona Fall Leaguer braves31win's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Muller's stock has risen during his senior season as he's dominated while showing improved velocity. Pitching in the competitive Dallas metroplex area, Muller, a Texas signee, struck out a national high school record 24 straight batters over two starts and recorded 36 consecutive outs on strikeouts. He now sits 90-92 mph more consistently after hovering at 87-89 regularly last summer. His delivery is clean and his arm works well with little effort. Muller's improved velocity has come with pitching on plenty of rest, and there are some concerns about how well he can maintain that velocity throwing every fifth day. Muller's slurvy breaking ball has sharpened up and gotten harder but neither it nor his changeup have shown true plus potential. He's is a legitimate prospect as a first baseman/outfielder with well-above-average righthanded power (he hits righthanded but throws lefthanded both as a pitcher and in the field) and would be a two-way contributor if he made it to the Longhorns, but his chances of turning into a future No. 3 or No. 4 starter will likely take the bat out of his hands.

#25 according to BA for those who take that as gospel.
    Whoa.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Still got to sign Wentz. Not a sure thing. According to Callis:

To forgo his commitment to Virginia, he wants top-10-pick money. The assigned value for the 10th selection is $3,380,600.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Was it Heyward who said we didn't have a ton of pitching? I mean, do we now qualify for that designation?
    I said before i wanted Ray or Lewis.

But getting three top 25 talents if they can sign all three is a pretty impressive haul.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Our track record with HS pitchers taken in the early rounds but outside the first round is not good. Here is the list of the ones we've taken between the end of the first round and the end of the third round:

Marquis, Atilano, Beau Jones, Evarts, Rasmus, Deval, Nation, Belisle, Butler, Digby, Nelson, Bacot, Reyes, Lyman, Locke, Spruill, Stoval, Fulenchek, Bell, Morton, Harrison, Stevens, Rogers, Salazar, Guardado
    This is something I honestly don't care about.

Not blasting you for posting it, it's good info. Just saying, it doesn't really have any bearing on these guys.

Arizona Fall Leaguer braves31win's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Muller's stock has risen during his senior season as he's dominated while showing improved velocity. Pitching in the competitive Dallas metroplex area, Muller, a Texas signee, struck out a national high school record 24 straight batters over two starts and recorded 36 consecutive outs on strikeouts. He now sits 90-92 mph more consistently after hovering at 87-89 regularly last summer. His delivery is clean and his arm works well with little effort. Muller's improved velocity has come with pitching on plenty of rest, and there are some concerns about how well he can maintain that velocity throwing every fifth day. Muller's slurvy breaking ball has sharpened up and gotten harder but neither it nor his changeup have shown true plus potential. He's is a legitimate prospect as a first baseman/outfielder with well-above-average righthanded power (he hits righthanded but throws lefthanded both as a pitcher and in the field) and would be a two-way contributor if he made it to the Longhorns, but his chances of turning into a future No. 3 or No. 4 starter will likely take the bat out of his hands.

#25 according to BA for those who take that as gospel.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post

That's depressing

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    If one thing is blatantly obvious about this FO, it's that they're not going to cut corners or take a guy closer to the majors if they think someone else is more talented or with a higher ceiling. Regardless of how it turns out, they're building for the long haul, and I think that's the right plan.

At the rate they (the front office) is going they won't be here for the long haul. With absolutely zero help on the horizon for offense next season is more than likely going to be another 90 plus loss campaign.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Still got to sign Wentz. Not a sure thing. According to Callis:

To forgo his commitment to Virginia, he wants top-10-pick money. The assigned value for the 10th selection is $3,380,600.
    We'll be able to afford it. May have to take a couple college seniors somewhere, but we've easily got the money to do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I dont understand why people are saying we have no bats. We have a big influx in bats coming in July including a player that would be the no doubt #1 overall player drafted in this draft. We already have a franchise 1B. We have good prospects up the middle in Mallex/Swanson/Albies. We also have Ronald Acuna who looks like a big time prospect. I know we signed a few bats last year and are expected to sign more this year.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    At the rate they (the front office) is going they won't be here for the long haul. With absolutely zero help on the horizon for offense next season is more than likely going to be another 90 plus loss campaign.
    I don't care. I'd rather a FO build for the long haul and not get to see it come to fruition than draft for the short-term to save their jobs.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Buddy Reed had an OPS under .800 this year. Good luck with that.

The Padres suck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Was it Heyward who said we didn't have a ton of pitching? I mean, do we now qualify for that designation?
    I've been saying we do not have a surplus of pitching. I'm not surprised we took more. But I think there is a lot of risk with these high school guys, though I don't mind the Anderson pick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Ton of risk with Pint... Not sure there's much difference between him and Anderson. Wentz is even close
    I like Pint's ceiling better than Anderson's. Anderson screams solid, middle rotation to me.

Anderson is a fine pitcher but I don't see him as a top 10 talent. Without draft slotting I don't see him sniffing the top 10.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I dont understand why people are saying we have no bats. We have a big influx in bats coming in July including a player that would be the no doubt #1 overall player drafted in this draft. We already have a franchise 1B. We have good prospects up the middle in Mallex/Swanson/Albies. We also have Ronald Acuna who looks like a big time prospect. I know we signed a few bats last year and are expected to sign more this year.
    Its all relative. We don't have as much hitting as pitching, so we must not have much.