Page 30 of 52 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Trade Deadline Rumors and Moves

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Margot is elite defensively in CF though, even if he's average offensively he'll wind up like Inciarte. Kimbrel also had a year less of control when moved by the Padres, they without question got more talent in return considering that. Regardless of trying to make comparisons and argue semantics, moving BJ in the deal wound up being a mistake because it lost us potential talent in return. And the only gain we got was saving money in two years we aren't competing for squat anyway.
    Even conceding that the Padres got more in return, you can't just assume we could have. The Red Sox FO was different by the time the Padres traded him, and their previous regime was nowhere near as willing to give up young talent. So the Red Sox almost certainly wouldn't have given us a similar package, it would have had to be somebody else. And I'm just not sure we could have done it. Maybe we could have, but I am totally fine with the return we got, as was essentially everyone at the time we made the deal. I'm not that interested in comparing our good deal with another that I might consider even better. I like the deal we made.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSlid92 View Post
    There were definitely negative reports and questions about him then.
    You can find negative reports and questions about basically everyone. His star was not fading. Everyone was pumped to get him.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    You can find negative reports and questions about basically everyone. His star was not fading. Everyone was pumped to get him.
    I wasn't thrilled then and have been proven right to this point. As a Braves fan, I hope he can get the ship righted. He's still young and has time. But we are going 3 straight years now of terrible performances.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Even conceding that the Padres got more in return, you can't just assume we could have.
    I'm not talking about getting more in return from the Red Sox, I'm talking about getting more in return from the Padres. And we would have without a doubt gotten more if we didn't include BJ.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-31-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Yeah, he was slightly higher ranked in 2015 than 2014, though there were pretty big warning signs in his AAA numbers in 2014. Most at the time were as excited about moving BJ as getting Wisler, but they were buying the company line of a quick rebuild as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    RE: Matt Wisler.....I'm sure glad the Braves didn't give up on Tom Glavine when he went 0-5 with a 6.30 ERA in August of 1990 or John Smoltz when he was 2-11 with a 5.16 ERA through the first half of the 1991 season.

Matt Wisler 1st 235 IP, 4.95 ERA, 6.4 K/9, 3.0 BB/9
    Tom Glavine 1st 245 IP, 4.77 ERA, 3.8 K/9, 3.9 BB/9

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    RE: Matt Wisler.....I'm sure glad the Braves didn't give up on Tom Glavine when he went 0-5 with a 6.30 ERA in August of 1990 or John Smoltz when he was 2-11 with a 5.16 ERA through the first half of the 1991 season.

I see this argument made a lot.

It's a poor one.

Using this argument will justify any poor performance because two hall of famers started out poor also!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-31-2016)

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I see this argument made a lot.

It's a poor one.

Using this argument will justify any poor performance because two hall of famers started out poor also!
    Except for Tom Glavine himself made this argument during a telecast. He said that he sees a lot in Wisler and we need to be patient as he works his game management (basically) out through the year(s). He used himself as an example.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I think the Marlins were one of the teams...
    If I were Coppy, I would tell the Marlins a flat no too. Next to worst farm system and only position player I like is Yelich (considering contracts). Sounds disgusting.

It makes sense to say Teheran's not available at all to teams with trash farms and weird production of ML talent.
    Last edited by Managuarantano's Volunteers; 07-31-2016 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Anything new on Markakis, Johnson, or anyone else? The silence has me worried

13. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (07-31-2016)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    No real news on any team in quite awhile

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    We're pretty good when it comes to being silent and making a splash.

I'm about 35/65 we trade Julio. Viz is still a possibility.

I think Johnson is gone. Adonis probably a sleeper to get traded.

I think we trade Mall or Ender this offseason.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post

Can we stop with the Glavine and Smoltz comps with every pitcher that struggles? It is beyond moronic. All it shows is you have no ability to bring a unique thought to the argument.

For every Glavine there are 100 pitchers who performed poorly at a young age and ended up as nothing.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (08-01-2016)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Can we stop with the Glavine and Smoltz comps with every pitcher that struggles? It is beyond moronic. All it shows is you have no ability to bring a unique thought to the argument.

For every Glavine there are 100 pitchers who performed poorly at a young age and ended up as nothing.
    While the latter is true, we do have Glavine in the organization and he's actively mentored Wisler. So I still reserve hope for Wisler because he looked awesome in the beginning and there's nothing physically preventing him from getting back to that.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    While the latter is true, we do have Glavine in the organization and he's actively mentored Wisler. So I still reserve hope for Wisler because he looked awesome in the beginning and there's nothing physically preventing him from getting back to that.
    The problem is they aren't comparable pitchers at all in terms of style. Glavine got away with being a low strikeout pitcher mostly because he was an extreme groundball pitcher. Wisler is a flyball pitcher, so he can't get away with not missing bats. Having Glavine mentor him isn't going to necessarily do squat for him since they are entirely different types of pitchers. The only hope Wisler has is to improve his secondary stuff and develop an out pitch.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-01-2016)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    The problem is they aren't comparable pitchers at all in terms of style. Glavine got away with being a low strikeout pitcher mostly because he was an extreme groundball pitcher. Wisler is a flyball pitcher, so he can't get away with not missing bats. Having Glavine mentor him isn't going to necessarily do squat for him since they are entirely different types of pitchers. The only hope Wisler has is to improve his secondary stuff and develop an out pitch.
    I think his slider is a decent out pitch, but he really needs an effective third pitch. If he could develop a better change I believe his slider would play way up. Throwing it close to 30% with just a FB wont work. Agree about the lack of similarities though.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    They don't have to be the same style pitcher to make the mentoring work.

Glavine can just be there to dissect Wisler's game, and help him mentally in certain situations.

It looks like it was working, don't know what happened to Matt now. It's never too late for him to develop a sinker or 2 seamer either. He has a solid arm, and I'd like to continue giving him chances.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    That's fine, so say that. Say "Glavine is mentoring him, and that guys knows a thing or two about pitching".

Don't say, "Hey Wisler sucked early in his career, and so did Glavine, so it's all good".

Wisler is talented and chances are he is going to round into a decent MOR starter that will be pretty valuable into his late 20s. He is likely going to succeed or fail regardless of chatting with Glavine about the finer points of pitching to the outside corner of the plate. There is a less than 1% chance he even sniffs the level of production Glavine enjoyed, so let's stop with the asinine comparisons.

Here's a rule of thumb: if you find yourself comparing a player with a couple years of service time to a HOFer, just stop. Don't hit the post button. Delete whatever you were about to write, and slap yourself for being an idiot.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Pretty much what Enscheff said. This happens every time a somewhat decent pitching prospect comes up and doesn't do well. It's beyond annoying to constantly compare young struggling pitchers to HOF players who also happened to struggle early. Odds are that Wisler is average at best. Now there is nothing wrong with that but there is nothing to suggest he's going to be an upper end starter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Jay Bruce on the move... Not sure where yet.
    Ivermectin Man