Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016-2017 Off-Season Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    If we make a big trade I think Albies will be the center piece. They aren't asking about pitchers like Archer if they are only willing to give up Chris Ellis caliber prospects. Something something value greater at SS.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    To be fair, you have been pretty steadfastly against a Wieters signing since the day it was first suggested (a long time ago), and have been rather keen on Castro - you might've been the first person to bring his name up. Does everything have to turn into something personal with you?

FWIW, it's nice to hear Bowman say that he expects Castro and Hundley to be likelier targets at this point.
    And why do you think I have been touting Castro over Wieters for months? What possible "agenda" could I have other than wanting my favorite team to make the best decisions possible?

I didn't try to make anythign personal, but it was odd that he accused me of having some sort of agenda behind preferring Castro...as if I win some cash if the Braves sign him.

And Hundley would be worse than just sticking with Flowers and Recker. The Braves either need to sign Castro, trade for Mac, or go with their current options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    I agree with you guys. I love Albies and I want to keep him, but he's someone I expect to trade in a huge trade if we make one

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Braves farm system is deep enough to trade for Archer, just depends how expensive the package would be.

Albies/Swanson are probably off limits.

Guys like Soroka, Mallex, Newcomb etc maybe Inciarte would be in play
    Right. A trade for a guy like Archer (or Sale or Quintana or anyone of significant value) would hinge on some other team highly valuing someone like Mallex. I really don't see the Braves trading any other top prospect in any scenario that isn't a clear win for the Braves (which is unlikely to happen again after the Miller fiasco).

It would have been very interesting if Mallex had stayed healthy and did his usual act of improving dramatically after his first month at a new level. If he had been able to put up a .350+ OBP over 400+ ABs while playing average or better defense in CF, he would have either been an extremely valubale trade chip, or allowed the Braves to more seriously shop Inciarte.

As it currently stands, I don't think other teams will value Mallex highly enough for the Braves to get enough value from trading him. I think the Braves will either sell high on Inciarte and hand CF to some combo of Mallex plus a RHed platoon partner like Rajai Davis or Ruggiano, or they will keep both Mallex and Inciarte and let Mallex start the year in AAA. Either way, I would like to see them acquire Ruggiano as their 4th OFer.

Mallex and Inciarte both need to be playing CF to maximize their value, either in AAA or on another team.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-08-2016 at 05:20 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Braves farm system is deep enough to trade for Archer, just depends how expensive the package would be.

Albies/Swanson are probably off limits.

Guys like Soroka, Mallex, Newcomb etc maybe Inciarte would be in play
    I wonder if Quintana wouldn't be a more likely target if Coppy were going to aim high.

Would there be a chance that a Mallex/Demeritte/Newcomb package could get him? Kinda doubt it, but if it would I'd certainly hope Coppy would pounce if it would. If it took Albies and Newcomb, I'd still probably do that and roll the dice that Jace will be solid enough for a couple seasons to see if Demeritte develops.

CF- Ender, SS- Swanson, 1B- Freeman, LF- Kemp, RF- Markakis, C- Flowers/Castro (whomever), 3B- Garcia/Ruiz, 2B- Jace

is still pretty potent, and if you added Quintana and Hammel, they could be pretty good.

Julio/Quintana/Hammel/Folty/Wisler with Blair/Sims/Whalen/Gant/Perez in Gwinnett would be worlds better than where we were last winter.

That team would have the same kind of puncher's chance to back into the playoffs that the Marlins had in 2016, if not a little better.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    I'm curious who the Rays value from our prospects. They are very numbers driven and seem like they'd value Soroka and Allard well over Newcomb, Fried, and Touki.

They have a great CFer so they don't really need Inciarte or Mallex. Albies, Soroka, Dpete to get the conversation going? I'd prefer Archer to anyone else on the market. 5 years of cheap control, power pitcher, only 28. Coming off a slight down year so his value won't be extra inflated.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Just saw where Lucas Harrell opted for free agency from the Rangers. He made it clear he loved his time in ATL and would not bed surprised if he signed minor league deal with MLB invite for 2017. I would welcome him after his strong comeback in 2016.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I'm curious who the Rays value from our prospects. They are very numbers driven and seem like they'd value Soroka and Allard well over Newcomb, Fried, and Touki.

They have a great CFer so they don't really need Inciarte or Mallex. Albies, Soroka, Dpete to get the conversation going? I'd prefer Archer to anyone else on the market. 5 years of cheap control, power pitcher, only 28. Coming off a slight down year so his value won't be extra inflated.
    This is promising. How about Soroka, Albies and Pache for Archer and Taylor Guerrieri?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    The GM of the Tigers was on MLB Tonight on MLB Network this evening and I just got the feeling listening to his interview that Verlander and Miggy are coming to Atlanta.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (11-09-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    The GM of the Tigers was on MLB Tonight on MLB Network this evening and I just got the feeling listening to his interview that Verlander and Miggy are coming to Atlanta.
    Good to know some things never change. You are as full of **** as ever. But I did laugh.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Can Newcomb,Wisler,Malex and Sims get us Archer?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    If we were to go after Archer I believe we'd have to include Albies. The pitchers included would be pitchers coming off good seasons like Fried, Weigel, Soroka, Povse, and Allard. I think it would cost Albies, Fried, and Soroka. That's probably too rich for our blood. I think Smyly or Cobb seem much more reasonable for us at this time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    If we were to go after Archer I believe we'd have to include Albies. The pitchers included would be pitchers coming off good seasons like Fried, Weigel, Soroka, Povse, and Allard. I think it would cost Albies, Fried, and Soroka. That's probably too rich for our blood. I think Smyly or Cobb seem much more reasonable for us at this time.
    I know it would be high, but I'd love to try and get a deal together for Longoria and Smyly.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I know it would be high, but I'd love to try and get a deal together for Longoria and Smyly.
    The good thing about trading for Longoria is you can trade Garcia, Ruiz and Riley either as part of that package or in another package.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Free agency begins today. I'm thinking we'll see catchers and infielders signed first while the OF and pitching market sorts itself out.
    Jumping on Melancon while others are focused on Chapman and Jensen would be a smart move by someone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Free agency begins today. I'm thinking we'll see catchers and infielders signed first while the OF and pitching market sorts itself out.
    Jumping on Melancon while others are focused on Chapman and Jensen would be a smart move by someone.
    Very smart. It would be a perfect move to tighten up the BP for several more years.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Very smart. It would be a perfect move to tighten up the BP for several more years.
    I said this a week or so ago. Would love to get a lock down closer for the next few years. I know an elite closer is the last piece you get, but getting one now only helps the rebuild IMO.. it will allow us to use other BP parts to restock prospects or fill holes. I would love a 4/50 to even 60 for him.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I wonder if Quintana wouldn't be a more likely target if Coppy were going to aim high.

Would there be a chance that a Mallex/Demeritte/Newcomb package could get him? Kinda doubt it, but if it would I'd certainly hope Coppy would pounce if it would. If it took Albies and Newcomb, I'd still probably do that and roll the dice that Jace will be solid enough for a couple seasons to see if Demeritte develops.

CF- Ender, SS- Swanson, 1B- Freeman, LF- Kemp, RF- Markakis, C- Flowers/Castro (whomever), 3B- Garcia/Ruiz, 2B- Jace

is still pretty potent, and if you added Quintana and Hammel, they could be pretty good.

Julio/Quintana/Hammel/Folty/Wisler with Blair/Sims/Whalen/Gant/Perez in Gwinnett would be worlds better than where we were last winter.

That team would have the same kind of puncher's chance to back into the playoffs that the Marlins had in 2016, if not a little better.
    The Sox sure could use Albies and Mallex up the middle. A package based around those two (other parts would be involved) for Quintana would be smart for both clubs. They'd have Anderson, Albies, and Mallex for the next 5 years to build around. We'd have Julio/Quintana for the next 4 years at an average of 9M per year to anchor the rotation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I said this a week or so ago. Would love to get a lock down closer for the next few years. I know an elite closer is the last piece you get, but getting one now only helps the rebuild IMO.. it will allow us to use other BP parts to restock prospects or fill holes. I would love a 4/50 to even 60 for him.
    And Fredi isn't around to leave him standing in the dugout during a playoff game where he is dearly needed.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    And Fredi isn't around to leave him standing in the dugout during a playoff game where he is dearly needed.
    I give a less than 20% chance we go after Melancon... but I would rather spend 13 million per on him than I would Weiters. What makes us better Weiters at 3/39 or Melancon at 4/52 and staying pat with Flowers/Recker or pony up a bit more for Castro..