Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Realistic moves for the remainder of the offseason

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I disagree about the pen. We will have a good pen imo. I think cather is address next off season. And we will need either 3rd and/or of spot to be addressed as well. If pitching doesn't pan out then I agree. Resumes need to be on hand.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Long-term SP answers might be in the system but not at the upper levels. We are going to have to sign or trade for at least one SP for 2018.
    Which is why I would have preferred Volquez on a two-year deal in place of one of either Dickey or Colon on a one-year deal.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    So with the leaked proposal of Musgrove, Martes, Tucker, would a similar package be Newcomb, Albies, Mallex?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Which is why I would have preferred Volquez on a two-year deal in place of one of either Dickey or Colon on a one-year deal.
    Yeah. At least the Dickey deal has an option. I wasn't a fan of the Colon signing.

Looking ahead to 2018 I think our pitching staff might look like this:

Starters: Teheran, Folty, Wisler, Dickey, someone like Kennedy or Zimmermann acquired by trade.

Pen: Cabrera, Johnson, Simmons, Winkler, Krol, Minter, Newcomb

I'm thinking we build up Vizcaino's trade value by making him the closer. In that sort of scenario, we include him in a trade for a starting pitcher. I could see us sending Viz, Markakis and maybe a second-tier prospect for Kennedy or Zimmermann.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 12-10-2016 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I disagree about the pen. We will have a good pen imo. I think cather is address next off season. And we will need either 3rd and/or of spot to be addressed as well. If pitching doesn't pan out then I agree. Resumes need to be on hand.
    I think we'll add a catcher this off-season. It might come late in the off-season, maybe even spring training.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    The only White Sox player I think we should be interested in is Frazier. He honestly shouldn't take too much to acquire with only one year remaining and coming off a down year overall.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    So with the leaked proposal of Musgrove, Martes, Tucker, would a similar package be Newcomb, Albies, Mallex?
    Wisler/Blair, Albies, and Newcomb would have been the equivalent.

And to be honest, I'm not sure I wouldn't do that for Quintana with the extra years of control.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Wisler/Blair, Albies, and Newcomb would have been the equivalent.

And to be honest, I'm not sure I wouldn't do that for Quintana with the extra years of control.
    Don't really see that as being equivalent.

Wisler may be equal to Musgrove, but Blair is certainly not with his mega struggles last year. Actually Musgrove's brief time in the MLB was still better than Wisler thus far at the MLB level. In just a partial season, Musgrove already has more fWAR than Wisler in two seasons... not equal.

Martes is most certainly a ton more valuable than Newcomb at this stage
    Tucker and Albies are very similar in their value.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 12-10-2016 at 03:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The White Sox did very well in the Sale and Eaton trades and their rumored ask for Quintana is in the same ballpark in terms of overpay. There might be another team out there willing to discount the future the way the Red Sox and gnats were willing to. I hope it isn't us.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think we'll add a catcher this off-season. It might come late in the off-season, maybe even spring training.
    If I had to predict a single "big" FA signing next offseason, I would predict the Braves sign Lucroy. He should only cost them a 3rd draft pick (if I understand the insanely complex QO rules of the new CBA). He should command a deal in the 5/85 range, which is under the max size FA contract I expect the Braves to hand out in the near/mid future.

Lucroy would be a "win now" move at a time the Braves should finally be in a position to win, and he will fill the biggest area of need on the MLB team.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-12-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    The thing is that everyone is focused on the 2017 season. That's understandable. But, most will at least admit that, while the team is likely to be improved over 2016, it is no where near competing on a one year basis much less on a year after year basis.

There are still VERY big areas of concern, some with no realistic internal options anywhere near.

OF - Kemp and Markakis are on the wrong side of peak baseball from an age standpoint. Both are of dubious current value, much less with the ticking of time. And internal replacement options are pretty scarce. IF Peterson continues to improve, maybe he fills one of those spots but right now he's more likely a 4th OF. Acuna and M Smith are CF and potential replacements for Inciarte (which is the one area that looks ok in the OF), even long shots like Didder are unlikely to profile as everyday LF or RF. And, outside of that, there's not much.

C - This position is really worse off than LF or RF as the 1st option is a career second option on other teams and getting old himself. Essentially no real minor league help within 3 years unless you believe in Scavies.

3B - Ruiz might turn out to at least be part of the solution, but his bat will have to significantly develop. Riley also, but he's 2-3 years away. Garcia surely isn't the long term solution.

Pen - Johnson is bubblegum over the crack in the Dam. It looks to me that they don't really trust OR like Viz. LH relief is very limited.

SS, 2B, 1B and CF all seem to have short term AND long term answers. SP better have a long term answer or the Johns will need to get their resumes ready.
    Corner OF should never, ever, be a position a contending team can't find a 2+ WAR solution unless they have really screwed up their resource planning. There are always a couple good OFers available via trade and several available via FA.

I think the Braves should add Lucroy next offseason. They will probably stick with a Ruiz/Adonis/SRod platoon at 3b for the next 2 seasons, and then try to buy Donaldson's decline years for something like 5/120 for his age 33-37 seasons.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    As I keep reading about short-term and long-term pitching plans, I have to chuckle that virtually everyone has overlooked one of the best under-the-radar picks of the 2016 draft.

Lefty Drew Harrington was the ACC Pitcher of the Year for Louisville on a loaded staff in a loaded conference. The Braves picked him 80th overall after he went 12-2 for the Cardinal. He got a late start on his pro career because of a cautious approach to an arm strain, but made nine appearances (one start) and went 1-0, 2.45 with a strikeout per inning.

He might be converted to relief because of the raft of strong starters drafted before him, but he is 21, a little more advanced that the many prep pitchers drafted, and his sinking fastball and willingness to pound it in the strike zone projects him as a reliever to many. He has even hit 94 on the gun when pitching in relief. But it ain't necessarily so.

Expect Harrington to appear in my year-end prospect board much higher than anyone seems to consider him. I think he projects as a big leaguer by 2018 at the latest and expect him to start the year with the Fire Frogs if he has no setbacks.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-12-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    There was a report we were looking in to catchers in the high minors, as well as Coppy saying he was still talking potential trades with teams. I'm hoping we make a play for someone like Chance Sisco or Connor Kelly.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-12-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    There was a report we were looking in to catchers in the high minors, as well as Coppy saying he was still talking potential trades with teams. I'm hoping we make a play for someone like Chance Sisco or Connor Kelly.
    Everything I've read about Carson Kelly suggests he is a pretty sure bet to be a solid starting caliber catcher. The guy at FG said his floor is an everyday catcher, and so is his ceiling. He would have been a great return if the Cards came to the Braves for their CFer, but now that they signed Fowler I don't see what the Braves have to offer the Cards.

I honestly have no idea what the Braves could be cooking up to acquire a young catcher. The only MLB ready piece they could deal now is Ender/Mallex, and it would have to be a hell of a catcher to be worth Ender. The trade deadline might be a more realistic time for such a trade once the Braves go into sell mode.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Everything I've read about Carson Kelly suggests he is a pretty sure bet to be a solid starting caliber catcher. The guy at FG said his floor is an everyday catcher, and so is his ceiling. He would have been a great return if the Cards came to the Braves for their CFer, but now that they signed Fowler I don't see what the Braves have to offer the Cards.

I honestly have no idea what the Braves could be cooking up to acquire a young catcher. The only MLB ready piece they could deal now is Ender/Mallex, and it would have to be a hell of a catcher to be worth Ender. The trade deadline might be a more realistic time for such a trade once the Braves go into sell mode.

They could use some late-inning / back of bullpen type arms, so could Viz plus Braxton Davidson (might have to add another piece like Brett Cumberland) get Kelly? Obviously Davidson's stock isn't high but he could be a potential 1B for them in few years.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I think the Reds match up well on a catcher trade. Mesoraco and Barnhart both are decent options. I think I prefer Barnhart, but surely we could almost get Mesoraco for free considering his recent injuries and salary for the next 2 years.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I think the Reds match up well on a catcher trade. Mesoraco and Barnhart both are decent options. I think I prefer Barnhart, but surely we could almost get Mesoraco for free considering his recent injuries and salary for the next 2 years.
    Personally wouldn't touch Mesoraco, but that's me. Don't want "Catchers" who can't squat before the NL gets the DH.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    They could use some late-inning / back of bullpen type arms, so could Viz plus Braxton Davidson (might have to add another piece like Brett Cumberland) get Kelly? Obviously Davidson's stock isn't high but he could be a potential 1B for them in few years.
    Maybe? I doubt Davidson factors at all for any other team as more than a filler piece or change of scenery lotto ticket, but Viz might interest them. Legit BP arms are certainly more valuable at the trade deadline, as we have seen lately, so that might be when the braves look to acquire a young catcher.

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    i expect a few more pitching prospects to be given away for pretty much nothing. you know, because of depth. get dealing coppy! lol.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    i expect a few more pitching prospects to be given away for pretty much nothing. you know, because of depth. get dealing coppy! lol.
    Wisler, Blair, & Sims for Corky Miller? Seems like a pretty steep price, don't think I'd do it especially when you consider a guy like Gerald Laird is still on the open market. Either one would be a huge addition, though, I will admit that.