Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: John Sickel's Top 200 Prospect List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Agreed, give me the stars. A single 6 win player is more valuable than a pair of 3 win players because all MLB teams should be able to add a player that produces more than 0 WAR to take up the free roster spot, thus producing more wins overall.

There is certainly some kind of "WAR concentration value", but I haven't seen any work done on quantifying it.

Yet another point in favor of drafting BPA rather than a grab bag of "signable" guys.
    More goes into it then just the WAR. If those two players are making 15 cumulatively while the 6 war player is making 30 then I'd rather have the 2 3 war players. This is less relevant to a team like the Yankees though
    Natural Immunity Croc

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    More goes into it then just the WAR. If those two players are making 15 cumulatively while the 6 war player is making 30 then I'd rather have the 2 3 war players. This is less relevant to a team like the Yankees though
    There are a lot of things to factor in. But I am going to assume we are talking about a level playing field. Not one where you have the 6 WAR offensive first player like Stanton compared to the 3-4 WAR defensive first player like Ender. The pay scale on those players will never be the same. You are going to get more bang for your buck with the defensive first player.

With that being said $$/WAR holds strong to around 3 WAR and then starts to diminish. You will pay less money per year on the open market for your 6 WAR player than you would for 2 3 WAR players. Also factoring in that giving that money to a 6 WAR players open up a spot on the team that you would hopefully fill in with a pre-FA player that would clearly cost less than what he would produce on the field.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Please. Learn. To. Read.

The discussion was specifically about prospects, not MLB veterans making tons of money. The thread literally has the word "prospects" in the title. Harry specifically asked about which type of prospects a team should prefer.

Jesus man, get a damn clue just once before jumping in to contradict someone. Just once. Please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    There are a lot of things to factor in. But I am going to assume we are talking about a level playing field. Not one where you have the 6 WAR offensive first player like Stanton compared to the 3-4 WAR defensive first player like Ender. The pay scale on those players will never be the same. You are going to get more bang for your buck with the defensive first player.

With that being said $$/WAR holds strong to around 3 WAR and then starts to diminish. You will pay less money per year on the open market for your 6 WAR player than you would for 2 3 WAR players. Also factoring in that giving that money to a 6 WAR players open up a spot on the team that you would hopefully fill in with a pre-FA player that would clearly cost less than what he would produce on the field.
    It is a tricky thing to analyze...my intuition also says a 6 win player is more valuable than two 3 win players...but there is a risk management issue that works the other way...diversification is a powerful thing