Page 59 of 94 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1868

Thread: - STARTS TODAY AT 7PM - 2016 June Amateur Draft Discussion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    A two way collegiate prospect that I know the Braves have scouted pretty heavily is Reid Humphreys from Mississippi State. He hit .315 with 5 HR and 15 doubles and a .906 OPS on the year for MSU as a LF/DH. The impressive thing is that he threw 21 innings on the mound and struck out 28 while walking 6.

This dude comes into the game from LF on most nights, throws few warm up pitches, and then has a swing and miss 93-95 mph fastball. I have a feeling that if he were in a position where he pitched all the time, he could be a lights out bullpen piece for a team down the road.

Reid also happens to be the brother of Gwinnett 1B Tyler Moore.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Perfect Game has a new mock that went Lewis-Puk-Ray. They said we've been on Ray all spring, but also noted that Groome is still possible at 3. They also said 3 is Groome's ceiling as of now.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Perfect Game has a new mock that went Lewis-Puk-Ray. They said we've been on Ray all spring, but also noted that Groome is still possible at 3. They also said 3 is Groome's ceiling as of now.
    Ewwww, don't like that.

I guess you can maybe get Ray underslot, but I'd rather just take the premium talent at #3. Give me Groome, Pint or Perez over Ray. I also think I'd take Moniak/Senzel over Ray as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Ewwww, don't like that.

I guess you can maybe get Ray underslot, but I'd rather just take the premium talent at #3. Give me Groome, Pint or Perez over Ray. I also think I'd take Moniak/Senzel over Ray as well.
    I'm pretty sure I'm the high man on Ray on this board. I get the Groome-Ray debate for sure, but I'd take Ray over any of the others in this scenario.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I'm pretty sure I'm the high man on Ray on this board. I get the Groome-Ray debate for sure, but I'd take Ray over any of the others in this scenario.
    partially because you can underslot him? Or because you are that high on him?

I see a guy who might not be a CF and probably doesn't have the power you need as a corner outfielder.

If the plan is to get Ray at #3 and sign him quite a bit under slot then HOPEFULLY get two guys to fall at #40/#44 - I wouldn't love that plan, but I would understand it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    partially because you can underslot him? Or because you are that high on him?

I see a guy who might not be a CF and probably doesn't have the power you need as a corner outfielder.

If the plan is to get Ray at #3 and sign him quite a bit under slot then HOPEFULLY get two guys to fall at #40/#44 - I wouldn't love that plan, but I would understand it.
    The underslot thing is definitely nice, and I firmly believe we could with Ray. But I've seen multiple people say they see Ray as a .270/.340 hitter with 20 homers, 20 steals. I think we can expect good defense in left field. I know that's not the sexiest skillset, but that's an extremely productive player.

The only guy I'd for sure take over Ray is Lewis. I realize most think I'm crazy for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Kyle Lewis just hit a 461-foot homer. Sheesh.

Here's video: https://twitter.com/SoConSports/stat...25653382975488

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (05-25-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    The underslot thing is definitely nice, and I firmly believe we could with Ray. But I've seen multiple people say they see Ray as a .270/.340 hitter with 20 homers, 20 steals. I think we can expect good defense in left field. I know that's not the sexiest skillset, but that's an extremely productive player.

The only guy I'd for sure take over Ray is Lewis. I realize most think I'm crazy for that.
    I'll gladly take .270 with 20/20 in LF. No issues there. I'm not sure he's that guy though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    I'll gladly take .270 with 20/20 in LF. No issues there. I'm not sure he's that guy though.
    That's fair. I know Keith Law and the Perfect Game scouts have said they agree with that, but I understand skepticism of it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    It's so odd because I've read things by guys who claim to have scouting connections that say Ray is not even in the Braves top 5 hitters. Who knows what to believe?

My issue with Ray is his platoon splits, but I don't know if he has improved them this season. Platoon OFers do not get picked at #3.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts

Most impressive thing about that was the pitch location. Most long HRs to CF are the result of a guy leveling off on a high pitch. That pitch was low and away, and Lewis looked like he even reached a little.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts

This is one of the big differences that I notice with Kyle Lewis and Corey Ray. You can just see Lewis's easy power. His hands and wrists are so strong and quick, you can project out his power. I just don't see that with Corey Ray.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    This is one of the big differences that I notice with Kyle Lewis and Corey Ray. You can just see Lewis's easy power. His hands and wrists are so strong and quick, you can project out his power. I just don't see that with Corey Ray.
    Even as a big Ray fan, I would take Lewis over him without hesitation. I don't think many would disagree with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    John Manuel said in the Baseball America chat that Matt Manning is the name that could be this year's Daz Cameron who floats down. But he also mentioned how hard it will be to float him into the 40s this year.

He also said that Senzel is thought to be a tougher sign than Ray because of who they're represented by.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...HtoqbmIlceE.97

Lowe’s skill set creates so many options that Pope head coach Terry Rowland wouldn’t be surprised if he transitions to center field as a pro, as scouts project.

“He’s a 6.5 (seconds) 60-yard guy, and those don’t come around often,” said Rowland, whose team won state titles in Georgia’s big school classification in 2009 and 2013—when Nathaniel hit a walk-off grand slam.

“He tracks balls well . . . glides to the ball and has a cannon for an arm. He’s 95 (mph) across the infield now.”
    You take this kid, with his skill set and tools, and put him in center field.....I'm telling you. This guy is better than where most have him rated right now. I'd take him over Moniak as a high school bat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1464178092

John Manuel: I don't think this changes the Braves' strategy at all; they've been trying to move up for months and were happy to get an extra pick. It's hard to get a read on exactly what they want to do at 3, whether they would take one of the high-ceiling prep arms (Pint or Groome) there or not, but overall they will be aggressive, they will go after guys they have conviction about (think Austin Riley last year) and they will look for impact. I don't see the Braves taking guys who are "good ballplayers" who don't have at least a 60 tool, at least in the early rounds.
    John Manuel: As we discussed in the podcast, I think it is harder to float guys down that far this year because of teams such as San Diego, Washington and St. Louis, even the Dodgers, are all in the way. LA has 3 picks from 20-36, going to be hard to sneak guys through there. Also, the strength of this draft is more 25-75 than it is 1-10 or 1-20. The guys who teams might try to float down are guys like Matt Manning, who is reportedly floating a large price tag that not too many teams can meet. He could be this year's Daz Cameron who "fell" to the Astros' 3rd pick last year and got $4 million.
    Just note that Matt Manning is a guy the Braves have been mentioned with. He is in Tom Battista's scouting area as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Jayson Stark:

"Sources say the Phillies have set up a private pre-draft workout Thursday with Delvin Perez, 17-yr-old shortstop from Puerto Rico. They have many names still in play for the first overall pick. One source says they're "struggling" with this huge decision."

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Jayson Stark:

"Sources say the Phillies have set up a private pre-draft workout Thursday with Delvin Perez, 17-yr-old shortstop from Puerto Rico. They have many names still in play for the first overall pick. One source says they're "struggling" with this huge decision."
    good, maybe they will go off the reservation and take a guy like Perez then the Reds will take Puk leaving us Lewis!

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    What happens if the Braves draft someone with the 3rd pick who doesn't sign?

1) Are the Braves allowed to allocate the slot money associated with pick #3 elsewhere?
    2) Is next year's draft class expected to be more top heavy whereby having picks #1 and #4 might not seem like a bad idea?

One drawback would be missing out on a year of pick #3's development (this year)...but just wondering if I'm thinking about this right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawkchop View Post
    What happens if the Braves draft someone with the 3rd pick who doesn't sign?

1) Are the Braves allowed to allocate the slot money associated with pick #3 elsewhere?
    2) Is next year's draft class expected to be more top heavy whereby having picks #1 and #4 might not seem like a bad idea?

One drawback would be missing out on a year of pick #3's development (this year)...but just wondering if I'm thinking about this right.
    We lose the slot money if the guy doesn't sign, I'm not sure about next year's draft.