Thread: Megathread: Braves lose Maitan, Bae and 10+ plus International Sanctions.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    "What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Shoeless Joe Jackson says hi.

It's not entirely preposterous. Losing players we signed this year would be logical. If we were bundling we'd have never gotten them but for the illegal acts. Also, there is a precedent for this with the Sox.

Preventing us from signing international players is another punishment with an established history.

With Maitan, it's a question of the evidence. If they find we gave him illegal benefits then the only thing keeping them from making him a free agent is determining whether or not that's a fair punishment. If they're looking to make an example then they'll make Maitan a free agent.

Finally, the draft pick is one of the more public ways of punishing us. Taking away the 8th pick on top of everything else would be very, very harsh but it would send a strong message. Perhaps losing a second rounder is more likely but I wouldn't put taking away the 8th pick past MLB.
    FWIW, the rumblings I heard on XM yesterday were that it has more to do with the fact that we apparently put he and his family up in a hotel as the signing day approached so that no one else could find him to try to change his mind.

There was also a mention that Coppy "offered Waters a car to sign a below-slot deal", and that it was dismissed as being a joke. We obviously have no idea if that has any legs.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    FWIW, the rumblings I heard on XM yesterday were that it has more to do with the fact that we apparently put he and his family up in a hotel as the signing day approached so that no one else could find him to try to change his mind.

There was also a mention that Coppy "offered Waters a car to sign a below-slot deal", and that it was dismissed as being a joke. We obviously have no idea if that has any legs.
    A lot of this stuff they can't prove. If Waters doesn't snitch which he won't, then I don't see them taking any pick from us at all. A hotel room? Seriously? That's not bad enough to make Maitain a FA. A lot of this stuff seems to be getting overblown. In the end Encheff may be right and it was just a way for Coppy to be canned.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Waters signed for $1.5 million, which was only about $100 K below his slot. Not enough money to make that kind of difference. Padres pick two ahead of him took only $1.3 M.
    Last edited by rico43; 10-04-2017 at 09:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    It stands to reason that MLB is going to look into what Hart knew and when he knew it.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Waters signed for $1.5 million, which was only about $100 K below his slot. Not enough money to make that kind of difference. Padres pick two ahead of him took only $1.3 M.
    Don't you remember what you would've done for a $100,000 sports car when you were 18???

That's simply the story being "reported" (no one named sources or put their names to it, it's just what they heard, kinda like Bowman and DOB - ell, like Shanks for that matter) - I didn't comment on whether I believed it one way or the other. Given the other stories we're beginning to hear about Coppy's practices you think it's out of the question? I have no clue, but will wait to see if the story has legs personally.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Don't you remember what you would've done for a $100,000 sports car when you were 18???

That's simply the story being "reported" (no one named sources or put their names to it, it's just what they heard, kinda like Bowman and DOB - ell, like Shanks for that matter) - I didn't comment on whether I believed it one way or the other. Given the other stories we're beginning to hear about Coppy's practices you think it's out of the question? I have no clue, but will wait to see if the story has legs personally.
    I would have to believe his agent would know enough to tell the Braves to kindly **** off and give him the extra $100,000 instead.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-04-2017)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    If this is true, that's one of the smartest moves I've seen out of a Braves front office in quite a while.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (10-09-2017), jpx7 (10-04-2017), Knucksie (10-04-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,504 Posts
    Interesting point by Dave Cameron that I hadn't considered about Maitan:

"I don't think MLB really wants to make a guy like Maitan a free agent unless they have to, though. If he gets $20 million or something if his contract is voided and he's allowed to sign with anyone for whatever teams want to offer, then it will become even more obvious to future players that it could be financially advantageous to them to engage in shady activity with a team, then turn in the team they signed with in order to become a free agent."

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

Chico (10-04-2017), clvclv (10-04-2017), FreemanFan (10-09-2017), JohnAdcox (10-04-2017), jpx7 (10-04-2017), Knucksie (10-04-2017), striker42 (10-04-2017)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    If this is true, that's one of the smartest moves I've seen out of a Braves front office in quite a while.
    Wasn't that done in "Jerry McGuire"?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    There's so much going on in this thread I don't know where to begin, and don't want to read through 37 pages.

Can we just have a collection on whatever narrative posters are trying to pitch in once place? :)