Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Chipper Jones picked the Dodgers to win in 4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I can see where some of you are going with this. I still think the team acted immaturely but Chipper could have used better judgement himself.
    Natural Immunity Croc

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

BRule (10-09-2013), DaneHill (10-09-2013), Mrs. Meta (10-09-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Chipper slighted them pretty bad. I get it, the team should man up, but Chipper should just lie. How hard is that?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Why should he lie? Bc his former teammates may get their feelings hurt?

"OMG, someone picked us to loss!"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

ChapelHillMatt (10-09-2013)

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    I think it's a little more than just "someone" picked them to lose. This is a guy who just played with most of them last year, a guy who many of them idolized. It's not like it's Dale Murphy or Tom Glavine or someone else several years removed. It's their HOF third basemen last year who they've all continued to pal around with and let into their "home" this season. I can see how they would consider it as him saying, "I know these guys. I played with these guys. They're not good enough. (Especially without me out there.)" Ok, that last part maybe not. But I keep wondering if Chipper thought similar doom & gloom when he was on the field with them.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    All I have to say is that I hope some of the posters that are b!tching in this thread are not posting here next season. If you hate the team that much then go root for someone else.

Chipper was a punk for what he did. The team was immature for what they did.

And I still don't understand the people who are calling this team the fun police...there is a huge difference between fun and "showing" a team up. What Jose Fernandez and Carlos Gomez did was not fun. I can deal with Fernandez watching his homer, but spitting towards Chris Johnson while rounding third was not "fun". Carlos Gomez glaring at Paul Maholm all the way down the first base line and barking at everyone and their mother was not "fun."

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    This team was a bunch of douchebags, which is very uncharacteristic of the Braves. Usually it is a team full of class and it's from the organization down to the players. They cried when people hit homers off them ; not just Gomez and Fernandez, but also Harper. Yet, they have Upton and Gattis pimp the **** out of homers. It made people that aren't Braves fans really dislike the team. So much so that they were rooting for the evil Dodgers. That says a lot.

Got the Call to Lynchburg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    This is all about personality. Chipper has always been a lone wolf and not the team leader. He's the type of person that says what's on his mind. Especially now that he's retired and isn't accountable to the league. 1 year into retirement he's already gotten himself into trouble on multiple occasions on twitter. He's gotten into flame wars with enemies over steroid allegations. He's made racially insensitive comments. He's also rooted damn hard for this team all year. During the interview and in the context of the question he stated that he bleeds red and blue and hates to go against his team, but the Dodgers starting pitching is just too strong. And so he picked the Dodgers in 4. That's just how he rolls.

Why is he obligated to sugar coat an answer that doesn't paint his former teammates amazing champions that are going to win against all odds.. ?? He answered the damn question candidly and honestly. Like he always has..

But I also think that the way the current Braves team behaved is a key indicator that Chipper made no deep relationships with any of the players on that team. There were no Billy Wagner's or Adam LaRoche's there to show their loyalty. And Chipper is not far enough removed from the team (1 year) for this particular scenario to be overlooked. These guys showered with him every day last year. They were too close to have the "He's an Atlanta Braves Legend and we need to get over ourselves and treat him with respect even though he doesn't believe in us" ethos. So they did what they did. And Chipper reaped what he sowed. And 10 years from now, when the team makes the playoffs and Chipper states that he thnks they will probably lose in 4 or 5 games, he will still have players catching his first pitch.. Because it's the Baseball Legend, Chipper Jones.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MrShwag For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (10-09-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Honestly, this group of Braves is probably the least likable I can remember. I've grown very tired of their "act"
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BRule For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (10-09-2013)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Seriously guys...if that's how you feel please go root for someone else.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    GF what's unclassy about the Braves team in regards to the Gomez, Fernandez, Harper situations?

Bobby's teams would've handled it the exact same way. Maybe instead of McCann chirping at Gomez or Fernandez, those two guys get hit like Harper instead. Bobby always wanted to protect the unwritten rules too, and he was never afraid of asking his pitchers to throw at someone.

Everyone that's saying "Chipper has the right to give his honest opinion"... yeah of course he does, that doesn't mean he should. It's been noted about 30 times now, Chipper after Hank Aaron is basically Mr. Brave. He's the most recognizable hitter after Hank is. He's been treated like royalty since the moment he said he was gonna retire. He was given almost a thousand standing ovations last season amongst various stadiums. He was given like 10 Chipper Jones nights at Turner Field last year. He's thrown out the first pitch about 4-5 times this year already, had his number retired. Yes he has the right to tell the radio how he feels, but he shouldn't. He should lie. That wasn't just a slap to the team, that was a slap to all of his fans everywhere who still root for the team first and foremost. The same team he was drafted by and played for, for over 2 decades.

When Derek Jeter retires, I think Jeter would never go on the radio and say "I think Tampa Bay wins over New York" even if that meant Tampa Bay statistically and on paper had a better team than the Yankees. Jeter's the new Mr. Yankee, and that says a lot because there are still plenty of legendary Yankees still alive (Jackson, Berra). If the Yankees sneak into the playoffs with a lesser team next year, do you think Mariano is going to go on the radio and predict the other team to win?

It was a very idiotic move of Chipper to go on the radio and pick against his team he just played for a year ago.
    Forever Fredi

15. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Mrs. Meta (10-09-2013)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Chipper does have a hunting buddy on this team, and that's Dan Uggla.

Maybe Chipper was mad Uggla got taken off the team. Who knows, it still was a stupid comment by Chipper.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    1) You'd have to think Chipper is still cool with many of the players on the team, so for him to pick against them in public is like him saying "I don't believe in you guys". What a slap in the face!

2) I didn't see anything wrong with how our players acted this year at all. In fact, this was one of the most fun teams I can remember. In the past, the Braves were always criticized for NOT hitting batters and never retaliating. Well I'm proud of how they handled themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    GF what's unclassy about the Braves team in regards to the Gomez, Fernandez, Harper situations?

Bobby's teams would've handled it the exact same way. Maybe instead of McCann chirping at Gomez or Fernandez, those two guys get hit like Harper instead. Bobby always wanted to protect the unwritten rules too, and he was never afraid of asking his pitchers to throw at someone.

Everyone that's saying "Chipper has the right to give his honest opinion"... yeah of course he does, that doesn't mean he should. It's been noted about 30 times now, Chipper after Hank Aaron is basically Mr. Brave. He's the most recognizable hitter after Hank is. He's been treated like royalty since the moment he said he was gonna retire. He was given almost a thousand standing ovations last season amongst various stadiums. He was given like 10 Chipper Jones nights at Turner Field last year. He's thrown out the first pitch about 4-5 times this year already, had his number retired. Yes he has the right to tell the radio how he feels, but he shouldn't. He should lie. That wasn't just a slap to the team, that was a slap to all of his fans everywhere who still root for the team first and foremost. The same team he was drafted by and played for, for over 2 decades.

When Derek Jeter retires, I think Jeter would never go on the radio and say "I think Tampa Bay wins over New York" even if that meant Tampa Bay statistically and on paper had a better team than the Yankees. Jeter's the new Mr. Yankee, and that says a lot because there are still plenty of legendary Yankees still alive (Jackson, Berra). If the Yankees sneak into the playoffs with a lesser team next year, do you think Mariano is going to go on the radio and predict the other team to win?

It was a very idiotic move of Chipper to go on the radio and pick against his team he just played for a year ago.
    100% agree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Chipper does have a hunting buddy on this team, and that's Dan Uggla.

Maybe Chipper was mad Uggla got taken off the team. Who knows, it still was a stupid comment by Chipper.
    I don't understand how a player can be upset over being removed from the roster when they literally hit .100 over the last 2 months of the season. Is Uggla delirious?

Playing the Waiting Game Bdawg2309's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    Honestly, this group of Braves is probably the least likable I can remember. I've grown very tired of their "act"

https://twitter.com/ZachKleinWSB/sta...88363120488448

https://twitter.com/ZachKleinWSB/sta...91347363586048

this should be an interesting offseason...

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Some of you forget the Braves are the youngest team in baseball. And that's even with Tim Hudson, Freddy Garcia, Gerald Laird to skew the age average.

I'm not surprised they show some immaturity, but they've also grown a bunch this year.

People complain Justin and Gattis showboat their homeruns, they still are walking or jogging after they hit them. I've never seen Gattis showboat how Harper or Gomez did, maybe Upton delays a little but he has never pulled a Fernandez or Gomez.

Look at a team like the Dodgers, with Crawford, Uribe, Hanley, Puig. That's the MLB All Sportsmanship Team right there.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I wish someone here would name me one unlikeable player on the team. Just one player who is clearly a douche. I've never seen so many so called fans turn on their team just because we lost a playoff series, because that's really what this is all about. We lost and people want to act like kids. Does the term poor losers meaning anything to anyone?

I really don't know about the Chipper thing. Perhaps more will come out over the off-season but if McCann or Freeman or Heyward, some of the most likeable down to earth guys in professional sports, or even Terry Pendelton, who's known Chipper since he was a rookie, didn't want to catch his pitch then that tells me something.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Some of you forget the Braves are the youngest team in baseball. And that's even with Tim Hudson, Freddy Garcia, Gerald Laird to skew the age average.

I'm not surprised they show some immaturity, but they've also grown a bunch this year.

People complain Justin and Gattis showboat their homeruns, they still are walking or jogging after they hit them. I've never seen Gattis showboat how Harper or Gomez did, maybe Upton delays a little but he has never pulled a Fernandez or Gomez.

Look at a team like the Dodgers, with Crawford, Uribe, Hanley, Puig. That's the MLB All Sportsmanship Team right there.
    The guys acting like douchebags aren't the rookies. It's McCann, Johnson, etc.

The Braves were the laughingstock of baseball fans by their actions when anyone has the gal of hitting a homer....it got old.

http://deadspin.com/d-backs-gm-kevin...-du-1442970604

http://zite.to/1fYbXke

http://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/com...s_first_pitch/

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    I wish someone here would name me one unlikeable player on the team. Just one player who is clearly a douche. I've never seen so many so called fans turn on their team just because we lost a playoff series, because that's really what this is all about. We lost and people want to act like kids. Does the term poor losers meaning anything to anyone?

I really don't know about the Chipper thing. Perhaps more will come out over the off-season but if McCann or Freeman or Heyward, some of the most likeable down to earth guys in professional sports, or even Terry Pendelton, who's known Chipper since he was a rookie, didn't want to catch his pitch then that tells me something.
    I will start with Chris Johnson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    I will start with Chris Johnson.
    And most likely end there. I can live with his fire/douchieness.

Without it he'd probably be hitting .260 and not have a starting job.