Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: GDT: 4/11 Gaus v.s. Muts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
    Yes your right tonight, only Venters pitched bad but do you think we have a playoff caliber bullpen?
    With the exception of Minter,Viz, Biddle and maybe Sobotka I don’t trust any of the other guys in the pen.
    Hope they prove me wrong.
    I know Jackson has been pitching better but there’s a reason dude has been on the mlb/AAA shuttle his entire career.
    Regardless I love the way the rest of our team stacks up to the other contenders in the East so I’m optimistic we can be in the thick of the race until we can add at the break.
    So, outside of the last 3 guys out of the pen (who everyone has agreed since preseason need replacing), you like our pen. Okay.
    Last edited by CyYoung31; 04-11-2019 at 10:44 PM.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Bad night for the home plate ump, not the worst ump ever but that was pretty brutal.
    FKA Ozzie's Chainz

Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Got to take the L sometimes.

I've been used to it over the years.
    Braves / Panthers / Lakers / Hornets / Clemson / Duke Basketball

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    BP is about average overall.

That Didn’t change after the first series when everyone was calling for AAs head.

That didn’t change after the good stretch they just had when nobody around here even mentioned the BP.

That didn’t change after tonight either.

The BP can and almost certainly will be upgrades at some point. Getting Kimbrel after the draft is a real possibility.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    if the rumors i have seen are true that we offered 2 years and maybe an option year but Kimbrel wanted 3

we at this point should just give him the 3rd year imo
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    BP is about average overall.

That Didn’t change after the first series when everyone was calling for AAs head.

That didn’t change after the good stretch they just had when nobody around here even mentioned the BP.

That didn’t change after tonight either.

The BP can and almost certainly will be upgrades at some point. Getting Kimbrel after the draft is a real possibility.
    That’s all I’m saying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acuña’s Bat Flip View Post
    Bad night for the home plate ump, not the worst ump ever but that was pretty brutal.
    The 6 inches off the plate inside to right handers he gave Matz all night had a huge impact on the game. Just a terrible umpire.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-12-2019), JohnAdcox (04-12-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I'm not saying the ump cost us the game, but I am beyond sick of this sort of thing. Umps influence far too many games. Managers should at least be able to challenge balls and strikes.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    if the rumors i have seen are true that we offered 2 years and maybe an option year but Kimbrel wanted 3

we at this point should just give him the 3rd year imo
    I disagree. No reason to lose a 2nd round pick on it. Just wait until after the draft and pull the trigger.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    I'm not saying the ump cost us the game, but I am beyond sick of this sort of thing. Umps influence far too many games. Managers should at least be able to challenge balls and strikes.
    The ump cost us a shot at the game. Once Matz realized he was getting calls on anything inside to right handers, it was over. Squeezing our pitchers didn't help either. With a fair strikezone it's a different game. Perhaps the same result but who knows.

There's a part of me that's hesitant to go to robo umps calling balls and strikes. They'd be consistent but it would take away some things from the game. The problem is that MLB, through decades of turning a blind eye to terrible umpiring, has created a situation where the guys making the calls are just terrible at their jobs and have no incentive to get better.

If baseball actually worked harder to weed out terrible umpires like the guy last night, I don't think there's anywhere near the need for robo umps. But the system as it is now is so full of guys who are just awful at their jobs that taking the ball and strike calls away from them seems like the only realistic option to improve the quality of the calls.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-12-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    The Acuna AB was text book what Bryce Harper goes through. Acuna didn't offer because neither balls were strikes. He knew it was the wrong call. Went from walking on 4 straight to 2-2 because of two missed calls in a row.

He knows the zone better or as good as the umps, and it may cost him some ABs like that when the ump isn't consistent.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    If mlb doesn't want to go to robot strike callers, umps should be graded every game. Bad, but consistent for both teams shouldn't be the same grade as bad for one team in particular. Determine the sample size then to consider suspension or replacement. Players are signing 300 million contracts... umps should be paid well, but judged harshly. If mlb pays well and allows guys to flunk out, it'll get better umps

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I disagree. No reason to lose a 2nd round pick on it. Just wait until after the draft and pull the trigger.
    Exactly. No need to forfeit the pick and the one million of our pool with that pick for an extra two months of Kimbrel. Just wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    0-4 in the important games again Phillies and Mets so far. Not a good start, but it's still early. Plenty of games against them left.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

goldfly (04-12-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    The ump cost us a shot at the game. Once Matz realized he was getting calls on anything inside to right handers, it was over. Squeezing our pitchers didn't help either. With a fair strikezone it's a different game. Perhaps the same result but who knows.

There's a part of me that's hesitant to go to robo umps calling balls and strikes. They'd be consistent but it would take away some things from the game. The problem is that MLB, through decades of turning a blind eye to terrible umpiring, has created a situation where the guys making the calls are just terrible at their jobs and have no incentive to get better.

If baseball actually worked harder to weed out terrible umpires like the guy last night, I don't think there's anywhere near the need for robo umps. But the system as it is now is so full of guys who are just awful at their jobs that taking the ball and strike calls away from them seems like the only realistic option to improve the quality of the calls.
    You are absolutely right.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If mlb doesn't want to go to robot strike callers, umps should be graded every game. Bad, but consistent for both teams shouldn't be the same grade as bad for one team in particular. Determine the sample size then to consider suspension or replacement. Players are signing 300 million contracts... umps should be paid well, but judged harshly. If mlb pays well and allows guys to flunk out, it'll get better umps
    Unions dont allow for accountability and thus give us a worse product

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Unions dont allow for accountability and thus give us a worse product
    lulz
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Looking here:

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/...&prevDate=0411

I count...

1 bad Ball call for the Mets pitchers vs a Braves LHH.
    0 bad Ball calls for the Braves pitchers against any Mets hitter.

1 bad Strike call outside for the Mets pitchers vs a Braves LHH.
    1 bad Strike call low for the Braves pitchers vs a Mets RHH.

The chart vs LHH shows the Mets got 1 of 5 questionable pitches called strikes on the outer edge, while the Braves got 2 of 7 questionable pitches called strikes on the outer edge. Seems pretty reasonable.

The chart vs RHH shows the Mets peppering the edge of the zone and getting calls, while the Braves failed to pepper the edge of the zone at all vs RHH. This also seems reasonable

As usual, the complaints over the umpires favoring one team are being blow out of proportion. The Mets actually had 1 more bad call against them than the Braves did. Both teams got a reasonable proportion of the questionable pitches vs LHH called for them. The Braves didn't manage to throw a single questionable pitch to a RHH, so they obviously didn't get any calls there.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 04-12-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Looking here:

I count...

The chart vs LHH shows the Mets got 1 of 5 questionable pitches called strikes on the outer edge, while the Braves got 2 of 7 questionable pitches called strikes on the outer edge. Seems pretty reasonable.

The chart vs RHH shows the Mets peppering the edge of the zone and getting calls, while the Braves failed to pepper the edge of the zone at all vs RHH. This also seems reasonable

As usual, the complaints over the umpires favoring one team are being blow out of proportion. The Mets actually had 1 more bad call against them than the Braves did. Both teams got a reasonable proportion of the questionable pitches called for them. The Braves didn't manage to throw a single questionable pitch to a RHH, so they obviously didn't get any call there.
    The fox trax was off bad last night then

ETA... you even said matz was getting "liberal corners" in post 100 of this thread. Hopefully fox's box was off and it wasn't just a bad umpire
    Last edited by msstate7; 04-12-2019 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Looking here:

I count...

As usual, the complaints over the umpires favoring one team are being blow out of proportion. The Mets actually had 1 more bad call against them than the Braves did. Both teams got a reasonable proportion of the questionable pitches vs LHH called for them. The Braves didn't manage to throw a single questionable pitch to a RHH, so they obviously didn't get any calls there.
    Maybe the issue is that the box that the network shows isn't the actual strike zone?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    The fox trax was off bad last night then
    I remember making a comment about Matz getting both corners vs Acuna early. That's because he was peppering both corners. We see that in the data.

Braves pitches weren't hitting the corners vs RHH. It is impossible to get the calls if the pitches aren't thrown.

I realize folks want to claim their team got screwed compared to the other team, but it simply wasn't the case last night. I can promise you no Braves fans complained about the bad low strike call the Braves got against a Mets RHH, but everyone remembers the bad strike call the Mets got...and then bitched about it for 2 hours.