Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: GDT 4/16; On the Menu: CAJUN FRIED SNAKEMEAT.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    CK is not the total answer to our BP issues but he’d go a long way towards fixing them. Viz and Minter are not reliable enough to close. Viz can’t go every day and Minter is still working things out. As far as shoring up the pen from there AA could take the same approach as last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I don't think they gave him much rope at all. If you don't trust him to control whether he throws strikes, not sure how the bullpen is a better option. Seems like you should just see what the Rays will give you and prepare for his eventual transformation.
    Newk has been given over a year this far and not much has changed with his control and given his age it probably never will. At least in the bullpen he could cut it loose with his fastball.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I don't think they gave him much rope at all. If you don't trust him to control whether he throws strikes, not sure how the bullpen is a better option. Seems like you should just see what the Rays will give you and prepare for his eventual transformation.
    nothing has changed with newk one little bit since he's been in the majors. well, no good changes, anyway. not sure how much longer you can try him out as a starter.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    nothing has changed with newk one little bit since he's been in the majors. well, no good changes, anyway. not sure how much longer you can try him out as a starter.
    He's had three April starts and one of them was good. And in one of the others he didn't give up a run in 4 innings pitched though he wasn't great.

Last season he produced a good half of baseball with two near no-hitters vs elite offenses.

His BB/9 dropped by a half walk last season.

I'm not crying about it, but he got a quick hook.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 04-17-2019 at 09:10 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    He's had three April starts and one of them was good. And in one of the others he didn't give up a run in 4 innings pitched though he wasn't great.

Last season he produced a good half of baseball with two near no-hitters vs elite offenses.

bad 2nd half, worse spring, isn't striking anyone out, velo down.
    his one "good" game he struck out two guys. the one game he didn't give up a run in...he was very bad, but lucky. his improvement in walk rate from 17 to 18 was also accompanied by a bigger decrease in K rate.
    but most of all, there are simply better options at this point. i assume they'll let him start in the minors and see how he does.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    A bullpen of

CK
    Newk
    Viz/Minter
    Jackson
    Biddle
    Winkler
    6th starter

Starts to look like a pretty viable pen

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    yes let's not help the team from within
    When there are clearly available options on the FA market, it doesn't make much sense imo. CK, Bud Norris, and Ryan Madson all remain unsigned and each would likely be an improvement over several pitchers currently on our roster. I somewhat understand why we haven't signed CK, but Madson and Norris are both guys who could be big upgrades and should come pretty cheap. Really no reason they shouldn't already be donning a Braves uni.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (04-17-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    When there are clearly available options on the FA market, it doesn't make much sense imo. CK, Bud Norris, and Ryan Madson all remain unsigned and each would likely be an improvement over several pitchers currently on our roster. I somewhat understand why we haven't signed CK, but Madson and Norris are both guys who could be big upgrades and should come pretty cheap. Really no reason they shouldn't already be donning a Braves uni.
    Well, Norris has been dropped by one team and I think another backed out?

And Madson has been sitting there all offseason with no bites, so perhaps there are issues with both of them.

But sure, at this point taking a flyer could not hurt.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-17-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    his one "good" game he struck out two guys. the one game he didn't give up a run in...he was very bad, but lucky. his improvement in walk rate from 17 to 18 was also accompanied by a bigger decrease in K rate.
    but most of all, there are simply better options at this point. i assume they'll let him start in the minors and see how he does.

Like I said, I'm not crying about it. Just noting that it was a quick hook. But seems even more clear now the front office challenge about walks was directed at him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    This

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    You are correct in that we currently have better options, but I think it's fair to say Newk improved from 2017 to 2018. He's been bad so far in 2019. May be it's a mechanical error or injury related. Obviously he still has a lot to improve upon. I don't think a transition to RP right now is smart option given his inability to throw strikes anyways.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Well, Norris has been dropped by one team and I think another backed out?

And Madson has been sitting there all offseason with no bites, so perhaps there are issues with both of them.

But sure, at this point taking a flyer could not hurt.
    The Jays wanted to keep Norris as evidenced of them paying Norris a $100K retention bonus after telling him that he wouldn’t make the OD roster. I'm guessing an injury concern is what prompted the release. And the Nat's wanted him, but his timeline for return apparently didn't match up with what they needed right now.

But yes, the point is, there are solid options available that don't cost much, and have the potential to be pretty big additions. No reason we shouldn't be taking a flyer on them.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    none of these guys help you right now.
    there's probably a reason no one has signed Madson despite lots of teams having bad bullpens at the moment.
    CK and Norris are weeks out. you don't even know how effective Norris can be. granted, the same could be said for the guys we're talking about moving there.

in what world are norris and madson "big upgrades" even in the best case scenario? Madson might be a big upgrade, but not one team wants him? come on.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    The Jays wanted to keep Norris as evidenced of them paying Norris a $100K retention bonus after telling him that he wouldn’t make the OD roster. I'm guessing an injury concern is what prompted the release. And the Nat's wanted him, but his timeline for return apparently didn't match up with what they needed right now.

But yes, the point is, there are solid options available that don't cost much, and have the potential to be pretty big additions. No reason we shouldn't be taking a flyer on them.
    Norris, and Madson especially, could probably more easily be just as bad as our current options, or worse, than be legitimate upgrades. certainly a much better chance of being worse than being "big additions."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-17-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts

I disagree that it was a quick hook. If he were Teheran you'd be breaking out the whine glasses. The edict all summer was that the pitchers would be held accountable and can't keep walking people.

It's not a death warrant that Newk got sent down but it's clear. Throw strikes and pitch with some aggression. He clearly hasn't done that. Improved from previous versions is an ok thing, but he's got to see Dr. Llewellyn and get some oomph about himself.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-18-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    I disagree that it was a quick hook. If he were Teheran you'd be breaking out the whine glasses. The edict all summer was that the pitchers would be held accountable and can't keep walking people.

It's not a death warrant that Newk got sent down but it's clear. Throw strikes and pitch with some aggression. He clearly hasn't done that. Improved from previous versions is an ok thing, but he's got to see Dr. Llewellyn and get some oomph about himself.

Teheran 4.71 ERA 4.85 FIP 4.29 BB/9
    Newcomb 4.38 ERA 4.28 FIP 5.84 BB/9

Just because you asked.

I think it's a quick hook. It doesn't bother me much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Teheran 4.71 ERA 4.85 FIP 4.29 BB/9
    Newcomb 4.38 ERA 4.28 FIP 5.84 BB/9

Just because you asked.

I think it's a quick hook. It doesn't bother me much.
    I think the decision was based almost solely on walks. I think everyone, including the FO is sick of them. lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    More so of the obvious one...I don’t personally believe that, but...
    You don't even realize everyone is mocking you...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    A bullpen of

CK
    Newk
    Viz/Minter
    Jackson
    Biddle
    Winkler
    6th starter

Starts to look like a pretty viable pen
    I'm not sure what's going to happen with Kimbrel, but adding Newk and Touki/Wilson to the BP, which is where they most likely fit long term anyways, will go a long ways towards improving that unit.

When the rotation is Folty, Gaus, Soroka, Julio and Fried in the next week or so, and Wright, Tomlin, and Wilson/Touki are still around for SP depth, it will be a good time to transition some of the non-elite young SPs to the BP where they ultimately belong.

If not for the rash of injuries it probably would have happened already. It needs to happen sooner rather than later.