Results 7,741 to 7,760 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    he was a negative in 2017 on FG, which is all i was going by.
    Nope.

You were looking at his Def number, which is different than his UZR.

An above average defender at 1B is still a negative defensive player overall because how easy the position is. He has positive UZR at 1B which still translates to negative Def overall.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    There have been 28 player-seasons over the last 5 seasons where a guy was labeled as a 1B and accumulated 4+ wins. The defensive ding for being a 1B is so large it requires a wRC+ in the neighborhood of 140 to get that many WAR.

Assuming Hoskins isn't a complete butcher at 1B, I would say there's a good chance he reaches 4 WAR. Projections have him fall just short (3.6), and I wouldn't call it "likely" he is 4+...but I loath arguing semantics (it's what folks do when they have no valid data to back up their assertion) when numbers accurately describe something.
    i think "likely" and "good chance" are quite a bit different. i wouldn't call that semantics. i'm also not sure how i have no data to back up my assertion. i think my assertions on hoskins have been correct.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Nope.

An above average defender at 1B is still a negative defensive player overall because how easy the position is. He has positive UZR at 1B which still translates to negative Def overall.
    right, i didn't say i was looking at UZR, just the negative numbers on FG. i wasn't even sure if FG uses UZR. just that looking at that negative (whatever it is measuring) made me think he wasn't good at 1B.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    he was a negative in 2017 on FG, which is all i was going by.
    That includes the negative adjustment he gets by playing 1B. Overall he's at +1.5 UZR in 300 innings at 1st. Will that hold up? Who knows but either way it's going to be a vast improvement over what he was doing in LF.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    i think "likely" and "good chance" are quite a bit different. i wouldn't call that semantics. i'm also not sure how i have no data to back up my assertion. i think my assertions on hoskins have been correct.
    That's exactly semantics...

se·man·ticDictionary result for semantic
    /səˈman(t)ik/Submit
    adjective
    relating to meaning in language or logic.

See how annoying that is?

One person says 3-4 WAR, one person says 4+ WAR, and then we wait to see who was right.

Much different than arguing in circles over the meanings of "likely" and "good chance" in an attempt to make sure you aren't wrong.

However, I agree, I don't think Hoskins has better than a 50/50 shot at reaching 4+ wins...I would place my money on the under.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Nope.

Yep, all Def is is his UZR + his positional adjustment, which at 1st base is -12.5. So if he had a 10 UZR then he would have a -2.5 Def, If I'm thinking about that correctly.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Yep, all Def is is his UZR + his positional adjustment, which at 1st base is -12.5. So if he had a 10 UZR then he would have a -2.5 Def, If I'm thinking about that correctly.
    If he plays 1B 100% of the time that's pretty much how it works.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Yeah according to Mish neither the Braves nor the Marlins have ever submitted a formal offer to each other. Just have bandied about a few names
    Then why are labeled as being so heavily involved? And why have we been labeled as having ‘35% chance’ over and over by Mish? How can one have any sort of chance, much less the leader in trade rumors, without having even made an offer?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tululush For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-29-2019)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Yes. Even the best defender at 1B last year, Matt Olson, was a "negative defender".

Speaking of defense. I'm just now seeing that Freeman won a GG this year. Well deserved I might add. And with LeMahieu going to the Yankees that opens it wide open for Albies to get the award in 2019.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yes. Even the best defender at 1B last year, Matt Olson, was a "negative defender".

Speaking of defense. I'm just now seeing that Freeman won a GG this year. Well deserved I might add. And with LeMahieu going to the Yankees that opens it wide open for Albies to get the award in 2019.
    Baez.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    this definitely confused me when looking only at FG. good to know.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Baez.
    overrated

Ozzie's real threat will be from Kinsler now that he's with the Padres.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    overrated

Ozzie's real threat will be from Kinsler now that he's with the Padres.
    Like that matters to the people who vote on these things. He’s the biggest name in a large market.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Like that matters to the people who vote on these things. He’s the biggest name in a large market.
    I understand this sentiment and sometimes it's true. But LeMahieu won it the last two years and he's a no name with **** offense in Coors.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I think the one thing we'll be elite at next year is defense. We have plus plus or plus defenders at 6 or 7 different positions (depending on how you view Acuna's defense, long term) and that should go a long way towards benefiting our young staff. In fact, I think that AA is counting on our good defense to help give us an above average staff when most people see it as too young, inexperienced, or just not good.

This is one reason why I'm so pro-Dansby. Or at least pro giving Dansby a really long leash. Having him, Ender, and Ozzie up the middle is a really, really, really good defensive alignment. Freeman and Donaldson are positives at the corners. Flowers is an elite framer. Acuna *should* be an above average defender once he eliminates those ridiculous mental errors. Its kinda ironic, but the only poor defender out there is probably going to be last year's gold glove winner in right field.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I think the one thing we'll be elite at next year is defense. We have plus plus or plus defenders at 6 or 7 different positions (depending on how you view Acuna's defense, long term) and that should go a long way towards benefiting our young staff. In fact, I think that AA is counting on our good defense to help give us an above average staff when most people see it as too young, inexperienced, or just not good.

This is one reason why I'm so pro-Dansby. Or at least pro giving Dansby a really long leash. Having him, Ender, and Ozzie up the middle is a really, really, really good defensive alignment. Freeman and Donaldson are positives at the corners. Flowers is an elite framer. Acuna *should* be an above average defender once he eliminates those ridiculous mental errors. Its kinda ironic, but the only poor defender out there is probably going to be last year's gold glove winner in right field.
    Will remain to be seen. He's been positive 2 of his 4 seasons in Atlanta. I think he will be the lowest guy of the current projected 7 starters though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I don’t understand how we can be called the favorites if we haven’t even made a formal offer?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I don’t understand how we can be called the favorites if we haven’t even made a formal offer?
    I actually hear that the Royals are the favorites to land Realmuto.

See, it isn't that hard.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    It is all speculation until a trade is consummated. Everyone knows that the Marlins should trade JTR. Mish has heard that Florida has talked with ATL, LAD, SD, CIN, etc. No formal offers from any team have been made. However, judging from the conversation / information, Florida likes the proposed prospects from ATL better than the others. Mish is also speculating that Florida likes ATL's so much more that if AA comes back with even a lesser offer, MIA will take it over the other likely offers.

It is not unlike thinking that one team will rebuild even though they have yet to make dump a player.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I actually hear that the Royals are the favorites to land Realmuto.
    The Royals make the most sense, just like SD, JTR will be a FA prior to them competing.