Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TONS Of Money To Spend

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

TONS Of Money To Spend

Now even Liberty is throwing AA under the bus...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...s-outlook.html
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (03-12-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Reading comprehension...it’s not for everyone.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I kind of agree with all of the Braves individual decisions, but the end result seems a little short.

I actually believe the Braves when they say there is more money but they don't like the deals that were around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I kind of agree with all of the Braves individual decisions, but the end result seems a little short.

I actually believe the Braves when they say there is more money but they don't like the deals that were around.
    they made an offer for Brantley that was well above what they are paying Muk...so in all likelihood they have some budget to play with
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Now even Liberty is throwing AA under the bus...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...s-outlook.html
    Did you read that?

I honestly don’t put much stock into management comments to the public. BUT- I think I’m this case they have had their offers rebuffed and we still have money to spend, perhaps even a lot to spend.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    they made an offer for Brantley that was well above what they are paying Muk...so in all likelihood they have some budget to play with
    What would you guess they offered Brantley? A minimum of $15M in 2019? Meaning they have $10M-ish left to play with after signing Markakis?

That certainly jives with estimates of an opening day payroll around $120M-$125M.

There has to be at least 1 more move coming, I just can’t figure out what that move is likely to be. Something like Newk for a position player and then backfill the rotation with Gio. An arm for Clint Frazier. Something like that.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 03-12-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    What would you guess they offered Brantley? A minimum of $15M in 2019? Meaning they have $10M-ish left to play with after signing Markakis?

That certainly jives with estimates of an opening day payroll around $120M-$125M.

There has to be at least 1 more move coming, I just can’t figure out what that move is likely to be. Something like Newk for a position player and then backfill the rotation with Gio. An arm for Clint Frazier. Something like that.
    I'd be up for a Clint Frazier move.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

Yeah, at least 15M. I'm guessing the full season budget is around 135M. Maybe the plan was to start the season around 120M, with 15M (which prorates to being able to take on 30-40M in salary mid-season). Now they have around 20-25M to play with (up to 50M of salary to take on mid-season). AA is in a position to be very aggressive this mid-season. I think he will look for value as always. But he could pick up a couple big contracts.

Just to throw out some names and their salary this year:

Cervelli (11M)
    Wade Davis (18M)
    Ian Desmond (15M)
    David Peralta (7M)

We could pick up 2 players like that. I'm guessing if there is a long term injury we will react quickly to plug the whole.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 03-12-2019 at 01:45 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Yeah, at least 15M. I'm guessing the full season budget is around 135M. Maybe the plan was to start the season around 120M, with 15M (which prorates to being able to take on 30-40M in salary mid-season). Now they have around 20-25M to play with (up to 50M of salary to take on mid-season). AA is in a position to be very aggressive this mid-season. I think he will look for value as always. But he could pick up a couple big contracts.

Cervelli (11M)
    Wade Davis (18M)
    Ian Desmond (15M)
    David Peralta (7M)

We could pick up 2 players like that. I'm guessing if there is a long term injury we will react quickly to plug the whole.
    Ozuna is someone we could target if the Cards fall out of it. A shame Cepedes can't stay healthy as I'd be all over him too at the deadline.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I'd be up for a Clint Frazier move.
    That kind of move is always there regardless of budget. The idea with having a bigger slush fund for mid-season moves is you can take on some bigger contracts with less surplus value. That way you minimize what you give up in the way of prospects.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Ozuna is someone we could target if the Cards fall out of it. A shame Cepedes can't stay healthy as I'd be all over him too at the deadline.
    Yeah. The one problem with mid-season moves is you don't know which teams will be sellers. A team like Baltimore or Miami will be a seller, but neither has much to pick from.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

Cervelli (11M)
    Wade Davis (18M)
    Ian Desmond (15M)
    David Peralta (7M)

Ozuna is another one.

One or more of the Pirates OF in additional to Cervelli seems likely to be in play. Along with old pal Chris Archer.

Couple of teams in the Central will be selling.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Yeah. The one problem with mid-season moves is you don't know which teams will be sellers. A team like Baltimore or Miami will be a seller, but neither has much to pick from.
    Upton but his deal is a little longer and he has a no trade clause.

When the Angels fall out of it again I'd try to make a super trade and bring back Upton and Simmons to rebuild the Golden Wrens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Upton but his deal is a little longer and he has a no trade clause.

When the Angels fall out of it again I'd try to make a super trade and bring back Upton and Simmons to rebuild the Golden Wrens.
    Yeah, Upton is on my radar too. There are some teams that are trying to contend this year, but look like pseudo contenders. Puig with the Reds is another possibility.

"I am your retribution."

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-13-2019), The Chosen One (03-12-2019)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    You guys sure do have a lot of faith in what they are saying, and not what they have a history of doing.I hope that faith is rewarded.
    Fingers crossed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
    You guys sure do have a lot of faith in what they are saying, and not what they have a history of doing.I hope that faith is rewarded.
    Fingers crossed
    Actually, its not just what was just said yesterday. It also involves the fact that a pretty competitive offer was made to Brantley. McGuirk is probably the guy who has given the most detailed information on budgeting and I'm taking that into account as well. I think the information is out there to make some pretty well-educated guesses.

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

Its just hard to understand how you could look at getting Grandal on a one or two year deal and not like the value of it. I understand we already had B-Mac at that point, but still.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I think that a few OFers in the NL Central are bound to become available at some point this season. I think the Reds are gonna come back down to earth quickly so Puig could be an option. Polanco or Marte from the Pirates. Ozuna from the Cardinals. Maybe Happ from the Cubs.

The NL is going to be soooo competitive this year and I think we will see a few teams with legitimate assets unexpectedly drop out of contention by the trade deadline. Some of them will probably be looking to sell. After this relatively passive offseason, we need to be at the forefront of any potential deals that could be had.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts

I still think it's gonna be Castellanos

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-12-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I think that a few OFers in the NL Central are bound to become available at some point this season. I think the Reds are gonna come back down to earth quickly so Puig could be an option. Polanco or Marte from the Pirates. Ozuna from the Cardinals. Maybe Happ from the Cubs.

The NL is going to be soooo competitive this year and I think we will see a few teams with legitimate assets unexpectedly drop out of contention by the trade deadline. Some of them will probably be looking to sell. After this relatively passive offseason, we need to be at the forefront of any potential deals that could be had.
    Everybody's aware of how dangerous it is to read anything into camp performances, but Pache and others can't have the breakout seasons that catapult them into "core pieces" without having big springs. Cristian, Wright, Wilson, and several others couldn't have done more to establish themselves as "untradeable" a month into the 2019 season.

As always, there are still plenty of questions for people to answer, but thus far even I'm willing to admit it's relatively tough to argue against AA's lack of activity. I'm still in favor of a Kimbrel addition (if and only if he can get him on the right terms), but there are several kids that are well on their ways to establishing themselves as someone who we'd already be *itching about having traded for shorter-term additions like Realmuto.

Don't misunderstand - if there really is still substantial money available and AA's not willing to overpay a bit at the deadline if this team is in the mix, I'm sure I'll howl as loud as anyone...but if the depth continues to take steps forward, things "should" turn out great. He still needs to remain keenly aware of the fact that he's only going to be able to afford major pieces like Freeman, Acuna, Albies, etc. for so much longer unless several pieces are willing to hang around for "fair value" rather than "market value".
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?