It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Yelich is 27.

It's one extra year of control.

You can project whatever you want to project Albies to be, but Yelich is pretty clearly the better bet to be worth more wins in the near future.

I think Albies is fine, but he was a bad hitter after May and horrendous in the last two months. Like significantly worse than Markakis horrendous.

I don't think we have any idea what Albies is at this point. His offensive approach doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense for his tools in my view. His April was fun while it lasted, but reality set in thereafter.
    One extra year of control..but while yelich is cheap, albies is even cheaper during that time. what can that extra ~$10M be spent on?
    he also just turned 22. he's far from a finished product.
    albies was phenomenal with the bat in april, average the next 3 months, and bad the final 2. he was an average hitter (slightly above) the 2 months after may. you seem to be willing to give markakis the benefit of the doubt for his unsustainable numbers, but not albies.

with an average bat last year, ozzie was still a 3.8 WAR player. it's perfectly reasonable to expect him to progress. over the next 3ish years, i think the two will be pretty close in WAR, and one will be cheaper.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    One extra year of control..but while yelich is cheap, albies is even cheaper during that time. what can that extra ~$10M be spent on?
    he also just turned 22. he's far from a finished product.
    albies was phenomenal with the bat in april, average the next 3 months, and bad the final 2. he was an average hitter (slightly above) the 2 months after may. you seem to be willing to give markakis the benefit of the doubt for his unsustainable numbers, but not albies.

with an average bat last year, ozzie was still a 3.8 WAR player. it's perfectly reasonable to expect him to progress. over the next 3ish years, i think the two will be pretty close in WAR, and one will be cheaper.
    Ozzie has some adjustments to make offensively but the guy was a top 10 prospect for a reason (and it wasn't solely based on defense). He should be a good offensive player and with his defense will be a WAR machine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    We need WAR machines.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We need WAR machines.
    which is why markakis was re-signed
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We need WAR machines.
    Braves will have 4 4+ WAR guys in 2019. Need JTR to make it 5.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Thought it was interesting there wasnt much talk about Markakis then right when he's close to being brought back, Rosenthal tweets it out.

AA works very quietly to say the least.

Regarding Albies/Yelich, on the surface that's not a bad trade, but no one saw the Braves being as good as they were last year. That is the kind of player you move Ozzie for though in hypothetical scenario.
    bad timing for the braves. The marlins sell off was a year too early for us. Now they are being tough of JTR b/c they learned how bad they did last year.

Then the mariners start moving people, but they'll only move guys to our divisional rivals. Mariners won't move the one guy we really want.

Rangers should have been a clear sell off but no movement there either.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Found this line in Bowman's most recent article interesting...

"Other than saying there will be an increase, Anthopoulos has never provided a projected payroll for the 2019 season. But it appears he has the option to spend at least $15 million this offseason and still have some remaining funds that could be used for in-season moves next summer."

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/brav...is/c-302986966

Assuming for the sake of argument that that $15 million figure is at least close to right and the option of releasing Duvall and/or Freeman remains if he adds upgrades, that pushes that figure slightly higher. While it's been discussed at length and doesn't need to be rehashed in detail, a deal for Bumgarner and one of Will Smith or Tony Watson fits that price range almost exactly.

Whether anyone wants to consider adding MadBum as an effort to address the top of the rotation, a deal for two arms from San Francisco would be taking a stab at two areas and the prospect cost wouldn't be nearly as high as for Kluber (if he's still available at all) or Realmuto (if they'd actually trade him to us). They'd also fit the mold of the short-term deals AA has been chasing since you wouldn't be committed to Bumgarner, Smith, or Watson beyond 2019.

A deal involving Ender for Kluber would fit for both teams salary-wise, but the problem is what other pieces would have to be included. Newk/Touki/Fried/Gohara and ??? They could then add Adam Jones, CarGo, or Matt Joyce (possibly even two of them) as a corner OF and still run away with their division, but that would involve several moves and it seems that they wanted to "fix" everything in one deal if they're going to move Kluber.

I liked the mention of possibly adding another bench piece (likely meaning you'd ditch Duvall or Culberson), and Marwin would further upgrade the bench without costing a pick or prospects - given $15 million left to spend, you could easily replace Duvall with Gonzalez and take a flier on someone inexpensive like Holland in the pen to see if you could catch lightning in a bottle.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-23-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Found this line in Bowman's most recent article interesting...

"Other than saying there will be an increase, Anthopoulos has never provided a projected payroll for the 2019 season. But it appears he has the option to spend at least $15 million this offseason and still have some remaining funds that could be used for in-season moves next summer."

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/brav...is/c-302986966

Assuming for the sake of argument that that $15 million figure is at least close to right and the option of releasing Duvall and/or Freeman remains if he adds upgrades, that pushes that figure slightly higher. While it's been discussed at length and doesn't need to be rehashed in detail, a deal for Bumgarner and one of Will Smith or Tony Watson fits that price range almost exactly.

Whether anyone wants to consider adding MadBum as an effort to address the top of the rotation, the prospect cost in a deal for two arms from San Francisco would be taking a stab at two areas and the prospect cost wouldn't be nearly as high as for Kluber (if he's still available at all) or Realmuto (if they'd actually trade him to us). They'd also fit the mold of the short-term deals AA has been chasing since you wouldn't be committed to Bumgarner, Smith, or Watson beyond 2019.

A deal involving Ender for Kluber would fit for both teams salary-wise, but the problem is what the other pieces would have to be included. Newk/Touki/Fried/Gohara and ??? They could then add Adam Jones, CarGo, or Matt Joyce (possibly even two of them) as a corner OF and still run away with their division, but that would involve several moves and it seems that they wanted to "fix" everything in one deal if they're going to move Kluber.

I liked the mention of possibly adding another bench piece (likely meaning you'd ditch Duvall or Culberson), and Marwin would further upgrade the bench without costing a pick or prospects - given $15 million left to spend, you could easily replace Duvall with Gonzalez and take a flier on someone inexpensive like Holland in the pen to see if you could catch lightning in a bottle.
    Don't forget, if you trade for JTR, you likely trade Flowers as well. So you could dump Flowers, Duvall, and/or Freeman, freeing up plenty of space to be creative.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Based on Mish's last comments I wonder if the Marlins have like 3 pool of players and JS has told them they can choose one player from each pool.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    Based on Mish's last comments I wonder if the Marlins have like 3 pool of players and JS has told them they can choose one player from each pool.
    If they'd take Flowers back as part of the deal and you release Freeman, there could be enough left to add Kimbrel on a pillow deal. If they're committed to giving Camargo the RF ABs against lefties, that wouldn't be so bad IMO.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Ooooppps JS?

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Ooooppps JS?
    Haha...yeah...ooppps

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Like one from Riley/Anderson/Soroka, one from Wilson/Allard/Wentz, and one in the 20-30 prospect range?

If the Braves are willing, then they have by far the best package to offer if Houston isnt moving Tucker or Whitley (they shouldnt but i'd get it if they did)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    If they'd take Flowers back as part of the deal and you release Freeman, there could be enough left to add Kimbrel on a pillow deal. If they're committed to giving Camargo the RF ABs against lefties, that wouldn't be so bad IMO.
    I think the Braves could trade Flowers elsewhere, lot of teams need catchers and he's pretty affordable.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    I think the Braves could trade Flowers elsewhere, lot of teams need catchers and he's pretty affordable.
    My thoughts as well...Oakland is a good spot
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    You are proving it is debatable, I suppose, but it isn't a debate for me.

Yelich is cost-controlled for four years and IS a 5+ MVP caliber player right now. He fits the Braves needs perfectly and is probably will produce a good 120m+ in surplus value.

The Braves could have shifted Camargo over to 2B where he would likely make up a fair amount of Albies' surplus value (perhaps all of it, if Albies is really the below average hitter he looked to be after May 1 and Camargo is who he's been with the bat).

the Braves then go into 2019 with three MVP talents in their prime with the financial ability to still add Donaldson if they wanted to make it four and trade for Realmuto.

the braves could not have known that they would contend in 2018 and probably didn't have reason to believe that Yelich was a 7.6 win player, but I think they'd go back and make that deal in hindsight if the Marlins would take an Albies package.
    Yelich won't be cheap much longer. He'll likely be pushing arby records. And that isn't insignificant.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Yelich won't be cheap much longer. He'll likely be pushing arby records. And that isn't insignificant.
    he already has a contract. he's stupidly cheap
    2015: $0.6M
    2016: $1M
    2017: $3.5M
    2018: $7M
    2019: $9.8M
    2020: $12.5M
    2021: $14M
    2022 Team Option: $15M ($1.2M buyout)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    he's on a contract through 2022

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Like one from Riley/Anderson/Soroka, one from Wilson/Allard/Wentz, and one in the 20-30 prospect range?

If the Braves are willing, then they have by far the best package to offer if Houston isnt moving Tucker or Whitley (they shouldnt but i'd get it if they did)
    It's probably Riley plus a pitcher, and the identity of that pitcher is the hold up. The Braves seem willing to deal Riley based on all the tidbits we've seen. The question is which pitcher are they more likely to move? Does the spin rate info we've seen for Anderson mean he's not as highly rated internally? Is it even correct? Riley plus Anderson certainly looks good on paper based on the recently released public prospect lists..."The Braves two best prospects!!".

Or are the Marlins simply asking for something crazy like Riley plus Soroka plus Pache?