Thread: Austin Riley being called up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm a Riley fan, but I would have gone with Duvall. I just find it difficult to believe that a guy who has played a grand total of 36 regular-season innings in the OF is ready to play there at the big league level. Happy to be wrong and he'll likely be better than Gattis was out there, but it's a stretch in expectations from my perspective.
    How many had Camargo played before this year?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Interesting thought that hasn't really been discussed...

It would have to be an unexpected situation for sure, but say there's a point that Donaldson could be traded for something better than the compensation pick we'd get for him turning down the QO this winter. It certainly wouldn't have hurt to let Riley have gotten his feet wet already.

It's unlikely, sure, but the reports say that Andujar's shoulder hasn't improved - and I don't think the Yankees expect Gio Urshela to continue hitting at a level he's never hit in his life. They've got LeMahieu, but he's much better suited to provide them flexibility with using Gleyber at SS some after Didi gets back (to try to make sure he's healthy during the postseason). If they're dead-set on making a push and Andujar's unavailable, isn't Donaldson a perfect fit as a rental that won't be in the way if they shut him down until 2020?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-16-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,361 Posts
    I think Riley has a much better shot of providing a spark than Duvall does.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,149 Posts
    Count me among those who think the more prudent move would have been to go with a Duvall/Joyce platoon in LF for a bit. I expect Riley to be a pretty bad in LF, though not Kemp-bad. He isn't being called up to be the short side of a platoon, so we are going to see a lot of him in LF for a bit.

It will be cool to get real data on him though.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-15-2019), JohnAdcox (05-16-2019), jpx7 (05-15-2019)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    How many had Camargo played before this year?
    Camargo spent a lot of spring training in the outfield and if I were to venture a guess, he's more athletic than Riley.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Camargo spent a lot of spring training in the outfield and if I were to venture a guess, he's more athletic than Riley.
    Not so sure. Riley might have a better speed number than Comargo. Comargo looks athletic but he is really slow and really stiff.

I hope this means that Neck gets some more rest. He's been big time but I'd like to try to sit him once a week to keep him fresh. With Comargo, Riley, Ender and Culberson I really don't think Donaldson or Neck should ever play a day game after a night game or play more than 5 days in a row.

When Ender is back what do you do? I'd option a bullpen piece and just use options to keep bringing up fresh arms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Not so sure. Riley might have a better speed number than Comargo. Comargo looks athletic but he is really slow and really stiff.

I hope this means that Neck gets some more rest. He's been big time but I'd like to try to sit him once a week to keep him fresh. With Comargo, Riley, Ender and Culberson I really don't think Donaldson or Neck should ever play a day game after a night game or play more than 5 days in a row.

When Ender is back what do you do? I'd option a bullpen piece and just use options to keep bringing up fresh arms.
    I doubt Riley's are any worse as Camargo's were among the slowest on the team last year.