Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Young Pitching Talent in the NL East

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,544 Posts

Young Pitching Talent in the NL East

The Gnats are our current rivals. The Phillies might have one last hurrah left in them but are generally over the hill.

What I want to do here is start a discussion about the Mets and Marlins. I don't think they will contend in 2014. But how much of a threat do they pose beyond that.

They both have some great young pitching. The Mets have Harvey, Wheeler, Syndergaard and a few others. The Marlins have Fernandez, Eovaldi and some others. These are very high upside arms. Guys who you certainly don't want to face in a short series.

Beyond pitching and one great hitter (Wright and Stanton) both teams are quite weak. Their farm systems are not well stocked with high upside position players. Presumably the Mets have the financial resources to go out and sign some free agents to fill the gaps. But the Marlins strike me as having the smarter front office.

I think in both cases, their pitching is potentially so good that they could contend with just an average everyday lineup. And in the post-season of course that pitching could make an even bigger difference. Not in 2014. But imo as soon as 2015 we'll have to take those two teams more seriously.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 03-04-2014 at 06:18 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (03-05-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Said this last year, if the Mets ever get some hitting & a bullpen.....with that POTENTIAL roto....they are going to be scary. Harvey - Wheeler - Syndergaard - Montero - Niese
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    I guess Syndergaard was really impressive yesterday. Put him in the rotation with Wheller and a healthy Harvey in 2015 and the Mets can be a .500 team with their currently crappy roster, and they will almost certainly upgrade somewhere, so I'd be wary of them.

Marlins are worse. They had their young rotation basically all year last year and still sucked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stpeteirish View Post
    Marlins are worse. They had their young rotation basically all year last year and still sucked.
    They gave up 395 runs in the first half and 251 in the second. That's a nice improvement.

Their lineup is just too weak this year, but they have a nice third base prospect in Moran. And their young outfielders should mature over the next year. Their big issue is how long they hold on to Stanton and what they get for him when they trade him.

They also have the #2 pick in this year's draft.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 03-04-2014 at 06:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Fernandez/Turner/Eovaldi/Heaney along with Stanton/Moran/Marisnick is a pretty good start....if they spend money like they did with Reyes and everyone and stick with it, they could be dangerous but I have my doubts that will happen.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    Fernandez/Turner/Eovaldi/Heaney along with Stanton/Moran/Marisnick is a pretty good start....if they spend money like they did with Reyes and everyone and stick with it, they could be dangerous but I have my doubts that will happen.
    They also have Christian Yelich who's still a pretty highly touted prospect. The Marlins could be contenders in 2015.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,881 Posts
    Will never happen. Their owner has proven that over and over again. All he cares about is profit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,911 Posts
    Mets could be real good if both Smith/Nimmo progress. Nimmo looks a bit dicey right now but the pitching is all there. Even past the obvious (Harvey/Wheeler/Noah/Montero) they have a wave of additional arms.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Said this last year, if the Mets ever get some hitting & a bullpen.....with that POTENTIAL roto....they are going to be scary. Harvey - Wheeler - Syndergaard - Montero - Niese
    Good thing the Marlins and Mets are both run by idiots. Obviously Harvey is great, but I dont think any great team is gonna have Wheeler as it's 2nd or 3rd best pitcher, I'm not a big fan of his. I think he'll be lucky to have a mid 3's ERA. There rotation will be solid, but not best in the division level. That rotation can't compete with Zimmermann/Stras/Gio/Fister/Detwiler or Teheran/Minor/Medlen/Beachy/Wood. Marlins aren't all that strong outside of Fernandez.

The young starting pitcher to watch out for in the NL East is Lucas Giolito.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Good thing the Marlins and Mets are both run by idiots. Obviously Harvey is great, but I dont think any great team is gonna have Wheeler as it's 2nd or 3rd best pitcher, I'm not a big fan of his. I think he'll be lucky to have a mid 3's ERA. There rotation will be solid, but not best in the division level. That rotation can't compete with Zimmermann/Stras/Gio/Fister/Detwiler or Teheran/Minor/Medlen/Beachy/Wood. Marlins aren't all that strong outside of Fernandez.

The young starting pitcher to watch out for in the NL East is Lucas Giolito.
    Knew it was a matter of time before giles brought up Giolito.
    Fernandez is better than he is.
    Overall I agree, I think how much talent the Mets have is being overblown. Syndergaard looks great, but who knows how great he'll actually end up being. Something something New York teams and media hype.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Obviously Fernandez has proven his talent on the big stage and is a far safer bet to be a cy young caliber pitcher. Same with Harvey. I just brought up Giolito bc I saw him throw recently and he may be overall the most talented of the bunch.(or at in the conversation) But, he's far far away and with young pitchers anything can happen. I recently read that BP gave him 80s for his fastball and curveball and a 70 for his changeup.

Either way, the talent on the Mets is overblown outside of Harvey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    We're doomed.
    thank you weso1!

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    The Mets are ran by idiots?

What wrong move have they made since Alderson took over?

Also Lol at bringing up a guy who hasn't even been to AA yet. Only harperfan.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,911 Posts
    I've heard/read nothing but great things about Giolito. As much as I don't want to agree with GF I think he is right.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    He hasn't gotten over A ball yet. Why the hell would you waste your time comparing him to a guy who would have won the Cy Young if he didn't go down with TJ, or the reigning ROY.

He has sick talent, that's great. You know who else had sick talent? Tommy Hanson, Brett Anderson, and Brian Matusz were all BA top 10 prospects recently. All have had injury/consistency issues. Talent gets you about 50% of the way there. They don't give out awards for the most talented player on the DL.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    He hasn't gotten over A ball yet. Why the hell would you waste your time comparing him to a guy who would have won the Cy Young if he didn't go down with TJ, or the reigning ROY.

He has sick talent, that's great. You know who else had sick talent? Tommy Hanson, Brett Anderson, and Brian Matusz were all BA top 10 prospects recently. All have had injury/consistency issues. Talent gets you about 50% of the way there. They don't give out awards for the most talented player on the DL.
    Bc the topic is young pitching in the NL East and Giolito is at the top end of talent. I pointed out how far away he is from the majors.

The talent gap between Hanson, Anderson, Matusz and Giolito is massive.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    The Mets are ran by idiots?

What wrong move have they made since Alderson took over?

Also Lol at bringing up a guy who hasn't even been to AA yet. Only harperfan.
    Off the top of my head playing John Buck over D'Arnaud. Screwing around with Harvey's injury. Letting Wheeler pitch down the stretch last year when there were clear signs of fatigue and/or injury. Signing Granderson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,544 Posts
    Compared to the other teams in this division, the Braves have good starting pitching depth but our pitchers don't quite have the upside of guys like Harvey, Fernandez, Strasburg or even a kid like Gioloto. Of course not everyone maxes out on their upside. And one of our players could surprise and become an ace. But it will be interesting to see how we do with the other teams in the division having some clear Cy Young candidates and our having none. I think we'll do fine. But now and then we are going to run into a buzz saw in the playoffs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Bc the topic is young pitching in the NL East and Giolito is at the top end of talent. I pointed out how far away he is from the majors.

The talent gap between Hanson, Anderson, Matusz and Giolito is massive.
    Congrats, he's talented. But you're high if you think there's an insane talent gap between him and the guys listed. Or you're just a big believer in revisionist history. Or you just prefer your Nats players to other teams players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Compared to the other teams in this division, the Braves have good starting pitching depth but our pitchers don't quite have the upside of guys like Harvey, Fernandez, Strasburg or even a kid like Gioloto. Of course not everyone maxes out on their upside. And one of our players could surprise and become an ace. But it will be interesting to see how we do with the other teams in the division having some clear Cy Young candidates and our having none. I think we'll do fine. But now and then we are going to run into a buzz saw in the playoffs.
    IMO, Teheran doesn't take a back seat to anyone.
    Natural Immunity Croc