Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Our farm system is truly ridiculous...

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I just think we are missing stars. I don't think we have anyone close to a bregman
    This is what I've been saying. We have an incredible amount of depth in the minors. By far the deepest in baseball. But we're lacking true impact potential stars. We have a couple guys in the lower minors but until the show any kind of success in the minors I can't give them that label. We surely have an impressive group of prospects but I wish we went for quality of quantity during the rebuild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    I really don't see how Dansby doesn't qualify as a star. He's drawing Derek Jeter comparisons, has ripped every level he's been at, and he was the number one overall pick just a year ago.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-29-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I really don't see how Dansby doesn't qualify as a star. He's drawing Derek Jeter comparisons, has ripped every level he's been at, and he was the number one overall pick just a year ago.
    in my mind we have one potential star in Swanson. Others potentially without any track record yet. But he also doesn't necessarily project to be a true middle of the order impact bat.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    While I think Dansby will be a great major leaguer I tend to think Ozzie will be the better MLB player..At some point you have to just look at the numbers and he's by far ahead of where Dansby is.Thats not to say I don't think he could end up having a better career..I just think Albies will hit in the majors like he has in the minors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Bregman is rated #1 with Swanson #5 on MLB Pipeline's list, and both have been given 65 overall grades. So, I would say we have at least one prospect that is close to Bregman.
    Thank you. And Matian's upside is as good if not better than anyone listed. I know he's an unknown, but that's not the point. He has as much, if not more upside than almost any prospect.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    in my mind we have one potential star in Swanson. Others potentially without any track record yet. But he also doesn't necessarily project to be a true middle of the order impact bat.
    Just have to give it time. We have Riley, Demeritte, Ruiz, Davidson, Peterson, Maitan, plus all the other international signees and the draft picks. Very likely we'll get an impact bat among this group, even if they're 3+ years away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Swanson and Albies both certainly have high end star potential. Hopefully the reach it. We have plenty other star potential, its just far away... but Allard, Anderson, Wentz, Muller all have TOR ceiling arms... Newcomb has a very high ceiling if he can get his control under wraps. Shoot, Demeritte even could have some star potential if he keeps growing and lowers the k-rate. The fact is, that with all high end star prospect, there are always going to be at least a few questions until they actually do it consistently in the show. Folty could turn into a star to if he can keep his head in the game and have a different catcher.

And that's not even the biggest star potential we just signed... Maitan and a slew of other international guys... add on all the raw international talent we've signed in the last 2-3 years... some of those are likely to make the step towards major prospect statuss (Acuna, Cruz, Pache, etc...)

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    It's good & deep but I don't know about ridiculous. We need someone to develop into that Chris Sale/Bumgarner/Jose Fernandez type ace. Right now we basically have 20-30 guys whose ceiling is Ervin Santana. He's a fine pitcher...but can you win a WS with that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    It's good & deep but I don't know about ridiculous. We need someone to develop into that Chris Sale/Bumgarner/Jose Fernandez type ace. Right now we basically have 20-30 guys whose ceiling is Ervin Santana. He's a fine pitcher...but can you win a WS with that?
    You honestly think Allard, Wentz, Muller, Anderson, Sims, Newcomb all just have the ceiling of Ervin Santana? You're crazy. They obviously won't all turn into aces, but they ALL have that ceiling and scouts agree that most of these guys have some TOR and/or ace potential.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    First off, those kinds of arms are incredibly rare. I think a rotation of Julio Teheran types could win a WS, yes... especially with a good BP. If I had to put my money on it, I'd say one of our guys ends up being a legit ace. Allard is the best candidate IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    You honestly think Allard, Wentz, Muller, Anderson, Sims, Newcomb all just have the ceiling of Ervin Santana? You're crazy. They obviously won't all turn into aces, but they ALL have that ceiling and scouts agree that most of these guys have some TOR and/or ace potential.

Santana isn't a bad pitcher. mid to low 3 era usually. He's a 2 or 3. Right NOW, nobody is a 1 for us. There's no Giolitio, Glasnow, Snell, Urias, Reyes, or even a Berrios or Taillon right now. We need someone to develop into that...especially in our division where there are aces everywhere

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Santana isn't a bad pitcher. mid to low 3 era usually. He's a 2 or 3. Right NOW, nobody is a 1 for us. There's no Giolitio, Glasnow, Snell, Urias, Reyes, or even a Berrios or Taillon right now. We need someone to develop into that...especially in our division where there are aces everywhere
    Yeah, we need a super highly touted prospect like deGrom, Kluber, Salazar, Arrieta, Sanchez, Keuchel, etc were. Without a guy getting a lot of hype we won't go anywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Yeah, we need a super highly touted prospect like deGrom, Kluber, Salazar, Arrieta, Sanchez, Keuchel, etc were. Without a guy getting a lot of hype we won't go anywhere.

Sanchez & Arrieta were highly touted. Salazar was too but was a fast riser. The rest of the guys sans Degrom were late bloomers. Some late 20s bloomers on their 2nd or 3rd team...like Arrieta. It's a penny in a fountain to hit on those guys. Degrom is your only exception in that list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Sanchez & Arrieta were highly touted. Salazar was too but was a fast riser. The rest of the guys sans Degrom were late bloomers. Some late 20s bloomers on their 2nd or 3rd team...like Arrieta. It's a penny in a fountain to hit on those guys. Degrom is your only exception in that list
    Arrieta was highly touted and floundered for years.
    Where did Sanchez and Salazar rank on lists?
    Kluber?
    Keuchel?
    Point is, we have a ton of pitchers with great arms. It's extremely possible one of them ends up a stud in time. Just because they aren't ranked #1 right now doesn't mean they can't be really good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Arrieta was highly touted and floundered for years.
    Where did Sanchez and Salazar rank on lists?
    Kluber?
    Keuchel?
    Point is, we have a ton of pitchers with great arms. It's extremely possible one of them ends up a stud in time. Just because they aren't ranked #1 right now doesn't mean they can't be really good.

Ya I'm not saying they won't. We need one or two to. Right now, we don't have one. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "ceiling" for all of them...just rolled out of bed, cut me some slack lol.

And Sanchez (Aaron I assume) was a top 20 overall prospect 2-3 years ago.

Keuchel was lost in Colorado. Salazar went from A-ball to the MLB in less than a year...he moved up so fast the hype machine was never allowed to get momentum on him
    Last edited by PurpleBrave; 07-29-2016 at 07:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Ya I'm not saying they won't. We need one or two to. Right now, we don't have one. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "ceiling" for all of them...just rolled out of bed, cut me some slack lol.

And Sanchez (Aaron I assume) was a top 20 overall prospect 2-3 years ago.

Keuchel was lost in Colorado. Salazar went from A-ball to the MLB in less than a year...he moved up so fast the hype machine was never allowed to get momentum on him
    I guess my point is, plenty of pitching prospect come from kind of no where, or make big jumps quickly. So since we have so many (like a ridiculous amount), I think one or two of them will end up being really really good.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I guess my point is, plenty of pitching prospect come from kind of no where, or make big jumps quickly. So since we have so many (like a ridiculous amount), I think one or two of them will end up being really really good.
    And plenty of can't miss studs do miss and/or get injured. The truth is it's a big guessing game. You stockpile as many as you can. You have plenty of arms to fill the roster and to trade for other needs.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Plenty of top shelf pitchers don't make top 100 prospect lists.

Tim Hudson was never very highly regarded at any point. He was a 6th round pick and never sniffed a top prospect list. I'd say he had a pretty good career. And judging from a quick google search, the last two AL Cy Young winners never made a top 100 prospect list either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    That's a complete misstatement. We have several guys who have a ceiling that could be in that Sale, Bumgarner, Fernandez, Hamels type of pitcher. In fact, Hamels is the guy that Joey Wentz gets comped to the most.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    That's a complete misstatement. We have several guys who have a ceiling that could be in that Sale, Bumgarner, Fernandez, Hamels type of pitcher. In fact, Hamels is the guy that Joey Wentz gets comped to the most.
    We have an extremely deep farm, but he's correct in that we don't have franchise changing prospects at this time. With the amount of prospects we have, certainly it is possible for a couple to stand up and make that case though.

However, saying we have several guys that could be top of the rotation aces is an overstatement. You are claiming we have several guys that could essentially be the best pitcher in baseball.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe