Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: DOB has blown the whistle on the clubhouse; now what?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    He may be but the issues with the Uptons are real. I also wonder what type of impact Freemans comments had about how he was unstoppable early in the year had.
    I don't think Justin has been an issue at all.

Also, I bet getting rid of BJ may actually help Justin. You gotta think it's tough watching your older brother be awful and probably hated on the team

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (08-12-2014), UNCBlue012 (08-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BravesfanMike View Post
    Shanks has a very telling story just up on Scout
    No, he doesn't. It's nothing we don't already know along with plenty of conjecture and exaggeration.

And, yeah, Shanks is a horrible writer. Like, difficult to get through bad.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (08-12-2014), BremanFan88 (08-12-2014), goldfly (08-12-2014), Julio3000 (08-12-2014), Tapate50 (08-12-2014)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    No, he doesn't. It's nothing we don't already know along with plenty of conjecture and exaggeration.

And, yeah, Shanks is a horrible writer. Like, difficult to get through bad.

This... yet he makes a living at it somehow... gives the rest of us hope for if/when we are bad at our jobs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    David Ortiz is the laziest, fattest player in baseball but yet he's played on and been a key a member of multiple world series teams. The key is that Ortiz can hit. The problem with BJ is that he just can't hit at all.

It's really that simple.

Justin jogs to first a lot. Really doesn't bother me. He hits the ball and plays almost every game. I don't blame a player for jogging to first base in a 162 game season. I would say the majority of players jog to first on a routine groundball, especially to the right side of the infield.

Some folks want to make it more complicated than it really is. The problem with this team is that they just simply aren't hitting good enough. It's not some secret clubhouse problem. I'm sure the clubhouse is grumpy during this slump, but it's likely because of the slump. The team clearly wants to win, but you have to hit to win, and they just aren't hitting. And the pitching just simply isn't good enough to make up for our crap offense.
    thank you weso1!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (08-12-2014), jpx7 (08-12-2014), Julio3000 (08-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    David Ortiz is the laziest, fattest player in baseball but yet he's played on and been a key a member of multiple world series teams. The key is that Ortiz can hit. The problem with BJ is that he just can't hit at all.

It's really that simple.

Justin jogs to first a lot. Really doesn't bother me. He hits the ball and plays almost every game. I don't blame a player for jogging to first base in a 162 game season. I would say the majority of players jog to first on a routine groundball, especially to the right side of the infield.

Some folks want to make it more complicated than it really is. The problem with this team is that they just simply aren't hitting good enough. It's not some secret clubhouse problem. I'm sure the clubhouse is grumpy during this slump, but it's likely because of the slump. The team clearly wants to win, but you have to hit to win, and they just aren't hitting. And the pitching just simply isn't good enough to make up for our crap offense.
    Got it.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    That article was waterlogged garbage. It's the article that Shanks is dying to write, and he got to write it. Also, he sucks at writing.

Justin made a huge hustle play to extend an inning the other night. He was in the dugout yelling last night . . . people who want to knock him do it because they want to knock him. They just ignore the stuff that doesn't confirm their biases.

Some folks want to make it more complicated than it really is. The problem with this team is that they just simply aren't hitting good enough. It's not some secret clubhouse problem.

That's it. Like the Gov said: leadership is 3-run homers.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    The article speaks truth. As much as the majority of this board refuses to acknowledge it. This team as currently constructed is just simply not good. The real fun is going to come over winter when Wren attempts to fix this mess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    This offense is so predictable.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Fredi would probably do a good job with an experienced team, or even a team like ours plus one or two veteran ass kickers. He's Bobby-lite. I think he'd do better than Matheny with the Cardinals, for example.

A players' manager is good if you have veterans that can police the clubhouse somewhat. When you have a bunch of young kids you need more of a hard ass manager to keep them in line. I'd like to see Pendleton get a shot next year.

This year's Braves are basically the 1990 Braves with a little more confidence. That team needed the addition of a veteran presence in the form of TP, Bream, and Belliard to push it over the top. Hopefully in the off season Wren and company will see this need and address it accordingly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Team has shown some grit maturity leadership and clutchness the past five games.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (08-20-2014), UNCBlue012 (08-20-2014)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Where can I read Bill's article?

Found the article. I don't see anything wrong with it. Bill hits the "make-up"/clubhouse chemistry angle hard, like he always does and I think that aspect of the game can be a bit overemphasized.

But he's right about a lot of things. Wren spent money like a drunken sailor and ended up with a team that's half Legos and half Tinker Toys. Just a bunch of non-fitting pieces. Add to that the issues the team seems to have with Fredi (let's not forget Hudson's shot earlier this season). I don't think Gonzalez is a particularly good manager, but he is following a legend and is probably managing with one hand around his own throat. I put more of the blame on Wren than Gonzalez. He has shelled out a bunch of money for little production. When you figure that Lowe, Kawakami, and Uggla all have been paid (in the case of Uggla still being paid) to not play for the team, it's a pretty damning indictment.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 08-20-2014 at 02:02 PM.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    What did Hudson say?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    After a good pitching performance, Hudson said something to the effect that it was easier pitching in San Francisco because he didn't have to worry about the leash being really short. He didn't mention Fredi directly, but the frame of reference was pretty obvious.