Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SUNDAY MINORS FINAL 7/30 ... Wentz keeps day from being total waste

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Wentz's K rate of over 10 combines with a sub-3 BB rate. Anderson's K rate is a bit higher but his BB rate is 4.58 per 9. The difference in control is a big deal. Neither give up HRs.

The better control, the better secondary stuff, and coming from the left side puts Wentz above Anderson to me.
    Wentz has been fantastic, but Anderson has better overall stuff, better velo - most young pitchers struggle with command somewhat. I have IA > Wentz right now - at least until we hear Wentz has more velocity. More advanced hitters are going to give him a stiff test if he's only throwing 89-92.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Touki isnt top 100.

Wentz is probably a lock at this point to replace Newk.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    After getting to see Albies for three games (yes I know it's a SSS) and Swanson for most of the year, it's my opinion (take it for what it's worth) that Albies is/would be the superior defender at SS. I think switching them whilst at AAA would be a good thing. To me, their arms are similar -we'll call it even- but Ozzie gets better reads, has more range and has softer hands. Again, just my opinion and no matter who ends up where, our future MIF will be in good hands for the foreseeable future because you can't go wrong with either at either position.

P.S- Peterson's defense in LF is very underrated. Only got to see him the first game as he DH'ed the second game and didn't play the third game but I was VERY impressed. I'm not saying he's Jason Heyward / Ender Inciarte gold glove type defender but to me, he deserves a little more credit for making a nice transition from third to the outfield.
    I'm very pro Peterson

Klaw has said he thinks Peterson is 1-2 war guy

The way freeman is doing at third I'm thinking about moving kemp to first and put Peterson in left. Turn with 169 days left put acuna in for neck

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I'm very pro Peterson

Klaw has said he thinks Peterson is 1-2 war guy

The way freeman is doing at third I'm thinking about moving kemp to first and put Peterson in left. Turn with 169 days left put acuna in for neck
    I see and like the logic but that makes us awful right-handed don't ya think? Or am I making something out of nothing and it's no big deal?
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I hate when our top guys get shelled. I always think the worst.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I hate when our top guys get shelled. I always think the worst.
    Could Jackson catching play a part?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I see and like the logic but that makes us awful right-handed don't ya think? Or am I making something out of nothing and it's no big deal?
    It does. Ender and ff only lh. Albies is switch. Still have neck.

Not sure if it matters

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    It does. Ender and ff only lh. Albies is switch. Still have neck.

Not sure if it matters
    It probably wouldn't be a big deal. Albies being a switch hitter really helps.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Wentz has been fantastic, but Anderson has better overall stuff, better velo - most young pitchers struggle with command somewhat. I have IA > Wentz right now - at least until we hear Wentz has more velocity. More advanced hitters are going to give him a stiff test if he's only throwing 89-92.
    Anderson has better velocity but there's more to stuff than just velocity. Wentz's secondary stuff is reportedly better. But as to velocity, Wentz being a left hander helps negate that a bit. I see no reason why Wentz wont end up with his fastball sitting at 91-92. That's plenty for a lefty with good secondary stuff.

And while a lot of young pitchers struggle with control, control is also the thing that derails more talented arms than anything else. There is no shortage of pitchers who can throw in the mid 90's. There is a definite shortage of pitchers that can throw hard and command it. So Anderson's control issues cannot be ignored.

I guess I just give more weight to command than others here. Just a matter of taste.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    It's not a big deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Anderson has better velocity but there's more to stuff than just velocity. Wentz's secondary stuff is reportedly better. But as to velocity, Wentz being a left hander helps negate that a bit. I see no reason why Wentz wont end up with his fastball sitting at 91-92. That's plenty for a lefty with good secondary stuff.

And while a lot of young pitchers struggle with control, control is also the thing that derails more talented arms than anything else. There is no shortage of pitchers who can throw in the mid 90's. There is a definite shortage of pitchers that can throw hard and command it. So Anderson's control issues cannot be ignored.

I guess I just give more weight to command than others here. Just a matter of taste.
    But command as a 19-year-old is down the list of important traits. At 22, sure, it's a much bigger deal. But plenty of pitchers struggle with command initially and then figure it out rather quickly. If he's still struggling this much next year, it starts to become an issue. And in two years, it's a problem. Right now? Doesn't really matter, I care much more about his K rate right now.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

All fair points, but I'd also argue that the 91 mph fastball with good command tends to work less and less the higher you move up the ladder.

I like both, I do wish Wentz would regain a little bit of the velocity we had heard about when he was in HS.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Would still have Markakis, Adams, and Camargo as lefties off the bench when Acuna's promoted - not a big deal.

This actually would be the perfect time for the NL to finally adopt the DH - from our prospective at least. Sign Moustakas to play 3B, move Freddie back, let Adams and Kemp split the DH and LF duties until one can be traded or Peterson takes over in LF. Snit could then have his precious alternating sides with Ender, Albies, Freddie, Kemp, Moustakas, Flowers, Adams, Markakis, Swanson/Camargo.
    Last edited by clvclv; 07-31-2017 at 09:30 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Touki isnt top 100.

Wentz is probably a lock at this point to replace Newk.
    I have Touki as the number 2 prospect in our system. Top 25ish guy to me.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    I have Touki as the number 2 prospect in our system. Top 25ish guy to me.
    Uh...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Its okay to have different lists. Otherwise what's the point.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-31-2017), Tapate50 (07-31-2017)

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Agreed. I am never going to laugh at or bash someone for being high or higher on a certain player. Maybe they see something I don't.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Totally agreed. That's just shocking.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,270 Posts

Haven't you repeatedly argued that Newcomb's control issues were relatively unimportant and not worth too much concern?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Haven't you repeatedly argued that Newcomb's control issues were relatively unimportant and not worth too much concern?
    My argument with Newcomb is that his control issues are related to the repeatability of his mechanics and his release point and are fixable. I haven't ever said that they're unimportant. They're incredibly important as they will determine how good he is. And if he hadn't had the control issues, he probably would have been a top 3 prospect in baseball that we wouldn't have had a chance of getting for Simmons.

As for Anderson, I haven't seen enough of him to try to tell why his control is bad. I hope that it's just an issue of repeating his delivery and getting a consistent release point (like Newcomb) because all reports are that his mechanics are simple. If your mechanics are simple, you're repeating your delivery, and you can't hit your spots, that's trouble.

And I'm not saying Anderson wont overcome his control issues. I'm just saying the fact that he has them puts him behind Wentz in my book.