Page 27 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: Megathread: Braves lose Maitan, Bae and 10+ plus International Sanctions.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    the MLB needs to fix their international market badly. there needs to be a draft. these kids should get more money, too.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-03-2017), CyYoung31 (10-03-2017), jpx7 (10-03-2017), WaitingFor2017 (10-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    the MLB needs to fix their international market badly. there needs to be a draft. these kids should get more money, too.
    Why not add a few rounds and have 1 draft, period?
    Swanson sucks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts
    we've been over this but like 2-4 of the major contributors of those teams came from wren himself. the rest were here already, before him.
    Andrelton Simmons, Justin Upton, Mike Minor, Evan Gattis, Craig Kimbrel, Javier Vasquez, Eric O'Flaherty, Jair Jurrjens, all kinds of bullpen arms like David Carpenter, and yes, even Dan Uggla for a time.

That's much more than 2-4, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some people.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-03-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    yeah probably, but that doesn't make cheating ok.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    If it was self-reported, then that means Hart/JS cut a deal with MLB front office. They would Fire Coppy so MLB could make an example out of him, and not lose any of the picks already made. We'd also be banned for a year or two from International Draft and maybe lose the #8. This way Hart can come out of this untouched, since he's also hiring the next GM.
    The only thing keeping me from believing this is Rosenthal and Passan have both reported severe penalties are coming, ones much tougher than the penalties Boston faced. That has to be coming from the MLB side of things because DOB has already said the Braves didn't anticipate losing any players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    The most overblown thing in all of this is the stuff about agreements with players before they turn 16. It's technically against the rules but MLB doesn't even try to enforce it.

I also don't expect much to happen with investigations into tampering with players under contract as agents are not going to talk to MLB. The last thing an agent wants is a GM afraid to deal with him because the GM thinks he'll go running to MLB at the drop of a hat.

The bundling is the big thing. That's an intentional attempt to circumvent rules designed to keep some kind of competitive balance. MLB has come down hard on that before and I expect them to come down hard on it this time. I expect we'll lose some international players we signed this year.

The Maitan thing is still very much wait and see for me. He's not associated with the bundling mess so it would make no sense for MLB to make him a FA based on that. The stuff about potentially illegal benefits concerns me. The question is whether that's serious enough for MLB to take the extreme step of making him a free agent.

If we lose Maitan though, I want to see Hart thrown to the wolves as well.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-03-2017), Jaw (10-03-2017), jpx7 (10-03-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    If this was self-reported to any degree by the Braves, I'm hoping that will be taken into consideration when penalties are levied.

http://www.mdjonline.com/sports/atla...ign=user-share
    But they spent waaaaaay more than $4.75 million. Maitan alone blew through their budget. There's simply no way Atlanta thought they could avoid overspending last year. The fact that people keep coming back to this and bundling suggests nobody really knows what they're talking about yet. Passan and Rosenthal seem to be the only ones plugged in right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Makes sense. I just hope Dayton has good taste in GMs.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    The most overblown thing in all of this is the stuff about agreements with players before they turn 16. It's technically against the rules but MLB doesn't even try to enforce it.

I also don't expect much to happen with investigations into tampering with players under contract as agents are not going to talk to MLB. The last thing an agent wants is a GM afraid to deal with him because the GM thinks he'll go running to MLB at the drop of a hat.

The bundling is the big thing. That's an intentional attempt to circumvent rules designed to keep some kind of competitive balance. MLB has come down hard on that before and I expect them to come down hard on it this time. I expect we'll lose some international players we signed this year.

The Maitan thing is still very much wait and see for me. He's not associated with the bundling mess so it would make no sense for MLB to make him a FA based on that. The stuff about potentially illegal benefits concerns me. The question is whether that's serious enough for MLB to take the extreme step of making him a free agent.

If we lose Maitan though, I want to see Hart thrown to the wolves as well.
    I believe John Hart will happy to step back into semi-retirment as soon as they get someone with the organization's full trust into the GM position. I never got the impression he particularly wanted to come out of semi-retirement in the first place. He's 69, JS is 77. These are not people about to embark on the next decade of Braves baseball. Their time is limited.

My guess is if Hart had any ambitions in Atlanta it would be to succeed to JS's position.

Before yesterday, I would have guessed that Dayton Moore was JS's desire for that position though.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts

I could be on board with this if he brings McLeod along from Chicago.

I won't if he brings in Jennings from Washington or the assistant GM from KC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts

Pretty sure this means that Moore would be the GM and the president of baseball ops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    But they spent waaaaaay more than $4.75 million. Maitan alone blew through their budget. There's simply no way Atlanta thought they could avoid overspending last year. The fact that people keep coming back to this and bundling suggests nobody really knows what they're talking about yet. Passan and Rosenthal seem to be the only ones plugged in right now.
    Yeah, I think the writers who keep bringing up the budget for Maitan's year just don't know anything about the international signing period or the Braves history in it over the last few years. They all caught wind of a story, started calling sources, and now are just tossing everything against the wall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Pretty sure this means that Moore would be the GM and the president of baseball ops.
    Yeah, they could certainly go the Hart / Coppy route and bring in an Assistant GM to run the day-to-day on a trial basis, then promote him to GM in a year or so if it works out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I think he would hire a GM of his choosing.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I think he would hire a GM of his choosing.
    If that was the case I expect it would be a GM in name only. If we bring in Moore, we're bringing him in to be the guy. He'll be the one making trades and signing FAs. Some of the more mundane duties might be shoved off on a GM but Moore would be the guy acting in the traditional GM role.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Making Maitan a free agent doesn't make any sense at all, regardless of any improprieties by the Braves in signing him.

Taking a kid (and more importantly, his buscon/agent) that's already been given $4.2 million to sign, making him a free agent, and allowing some other team to give him an additional $5MM to $10MM to sign somewhere else, doesn't seem like an equitable solution. It definitely would not discourage the verbal agreements or negotiations prior to age 16. The people profiting off the kid should have some culpability as well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I'd go out on a limb and say no way Maitan is declared a FA. I can't imagine he won't remain a Brave.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Maitan is going no where people relax.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Seems like more of a misdemeanor than a felony.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR