Page 492 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 392442482490491492493494502542592992 ... LastLast
Results 9,821 to 9,840 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Jaw, I assume you're a white dude. You're telling me that if you get detained by the cops on the suspicion that you're a Nazi, you're ok with that?

That kind of "common sense" leads to Driving While Brown stops, unconstitutional stop-and-frisk policing, and all manner of things that people who claim to revere the Constitution should hate.
    DID YOU JUST ASSUME MY GENDER???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Jaw, I assume you're a white dude. You're telling me that if you get detained by the cops on the suspicion that you're a Nazi, you're ok with that?

That kind of "common sense" leads to Driving While Brown stops, unconstitutional stop-and-frisk policing, and all manner of things that people who claim to revere the Constitution should hate.
    Again, I am not suggesting that police stop people to see if they are legal. I am suggesting that while we have someone stopped for another reason, we confirm that they are not breaking our immigration law. The "Real ID" laws that came about after 9/11 make this pretty easy.

The vast majority of police encounters will occur during traffic stops. The vast majority of people stopped by police will have a driver's license that confirms their legal status. Everyone stopped by police should have some form of identification that confirms their right to operate a motor vehicle. If the driver broke that law, or if a person is in the car with someone who broke that law, then yes, I believe we should verify that they aren't also breaking immigration law.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Ok, so then we get on the whole merry-go-round of municipal law enforcement trying to accommodate federal immigration law. This is part of the whole bull**** "sanctuary city" debate. The vast majority of local police officials do not want to be responsible for doing that…sure, there are outliers like Arpaio, but part of his story is that he sacrificed all kinds of critical police functions in order to try to be the immigration cops.
    Are you in favor of municipal law enforcement officers enforcing federal gun laws? Should an officer let a guy slide if he has a pistol with the serial numbers filed off, or a sawed off shotgun? Of course local officers should enforce federal law. And again, it makes more sense for officers to focus on crimes most common in their area. My rural county has a big meth problem, so officers actively look for that to curb it. A more urban county probably focuses more on cocaine or heroin. An area with a large number of illegal immigrants, like the Arpaio was in, should probably be on the lookout for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post

It's so frustrating to like the majority of his policies and but dislike so much of what he says.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

thethe (10-17-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    It's so frustrating to like the majority of his policies and but dislike so much of what he says.
    Still believe he has served his purpose as a bland candidate like the Republicans always run can't break through the propaganda of the MSM. Hopefully now the country realizes that the failed liberal policies did nothing but hurt the American people as a whole. Well, I guess everyone but the wealthy and powerful.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Read that out loud , to yourself. Slowly
    Ponder for a second that his mouth puts words to his soul and his soul is revealed in those policies you so much admire.

The distance between the Access Hollywood tape and women's policies
    The distance between Mexican rapists and pardoning Arpaio

The distance between his statements on NATO and his ties to Putin (so he could greedily build a hotel in Moscow - I might add)

To me the frustration would be in trying to make a silk purse out of the sows ear of his statements/policy .
    They are one in the same
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Are you in favor of municipal law enforcement officers enforcing federal gun laws? Should an officer let a guy slide if he has a pistol with the serial numbers filed off, or a sawed off shotgun? Of course local officers should enforce federal law. And again, it makes more sense for officers to focus on crimes most common in their area. My rural county has a big meth problem, so officers actively look for that to curb it. A more urban county probably focuses more on cocaine or heroin. An area with a large number of illegal immigrants, like the Arpaio was in, should probably be on the lookout for that.
    Again, I am not suggesting that police stop people to see if they are legal. I am suggesting that while we have someone stopped for another reason, we confirm that they are not breaking our immigration law. The "Real ID" laws that came about after 9/11 make this pretty easy.

The vast majority of police encounters will occur during traffic stops. The vast majority of people stopped by police will have a driver's license that confirms their legal status. Everyone stopped by police should have some form of identification that confirms their right to operate a motor vehicle. If the driver broke that law, or if a person is in the car with someone who broke that law, then yes, I believe we should verify that they aren't also breaking immigration law.
    If you haven't done so, it's illuminating to read a thorough account of why Arpaio's immigration sweeps were determined to have been illegal, and why he was given the contempt charges.

As for your question, I think there's an overwhelming public interest in enforcing federal gun laws. Given priorities and resources available, there is IMO less pressing reason to devote those local resources on rounding up the undocumented. The remedy is comprehensive immigration reform, not LLE. Arpaio's Maricopa County is a perfect example of why, when you consider both the massive civil and human rights violations and the fact that they, for example, disbanded their sexual assault task force so they could devote their resources to being the immigration cops.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-17-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Elections results across the world have proven that immigration is one of the biggest issues in the public interest.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Trump's floundering is so embarrassing. I feel he's actually trying to be "presidential" but still coming off like a clueless, narcissist. He just can't help himself. Every other President navigated these dead soldier moments with the respect and humility that the situation calls for, but he can't help but make everything about himself.

Politics and policy aside, he truly is a sick person.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

goldfly (10-17-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Trump's floundering is so embarrassing. I feel he's actually trying to be "presidential" but still coming off like a clueless, narcissist. He just can't help himself. Every other President navigated these dead soldier moments with the respect and humility that the situation calls for, but he can't help but make everything about himself.

Politics and policy aside, he truly is a sick person.
    Scott Adams had a blog entry a while back that talked about this some, but also broke down how it impacts his polling. Basically said something like, people don't like him, don't trust him to represent America well, but trust him to do well on the big issues. I'll try to find it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    http://blog.dilbert.com/post/1663970...dent-trump-yet

How did we get to a place where The President of the United States has historically low approval at the same time we have recent highs for consumer confidence?

Almost everything President Trump does has an impact on the economy, and on consumers. That includes national security, immigration, taxes, health care, budgets, treaties, government regulations, and international relations. If the public is optimistic about the economy, that is normally the same as having confidence in the president. At least on the big-ticket items.

The types of presidential actions that have lower impact on the economy include court appointments, opinions on confederate statues, NFL kneeling, transgenders in the military, birth control funding, unpresidential tweets, poorly-executed disavowals, hyperbole that fails the fact-checking, seemingly unnecessary political attacks, and all manner of obnoxious presidential behavior. The majority of citizens disapprove of President Trump on at least some of those topics.

I don’t think we’ve ever seen something like this before. A majority of citizens disapprove of President Trump while simultaneously having confidence he’ll get most of the big stuff right and the economy will reflect it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Scott Adams had a blog entry a while back that talked about this some, but also broke down how it impacts his polling. Basically said something like, people don't like him, don't trust him to represent America well, but trust him to do well on the big issues. I'll try to find it.
    Meaning anything is okay as long as he's not a Democrat.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Do I sense a little Caligula/Drusilla vibe going on here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    from a friend: TRump may not be the only President to confront and console the families of fallen soldiers, but he is the only President to ever throw paper towels to hurricane victims.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Meaning anything is okay as long as he's not a Democrat.
    Pretty much, but maybe more like "He's such a jackass, but I couldn't vote for Hillary. Why couldn't Rand/Jeb/Ben/Marco win the primary?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.3053608f8429

Under Trump, gains against ISIS have ‘dramatically accelerated’

Nearly a third of territory reclaimed from the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria since 2014 has been won in the past six months, due to new policies adopted by the Trump administration, a senior State Department official said Friday.

Brett McGurk, the State Department’s senior envoy to the anti-Islamic State coalition, said that steps President Trump has taken, including delegating decision-making authority down from the White House to commanders in the field, have “dramatically accelerated” gains against the militants.

Combined Islamic State losses in both countries since the group’s peak control in early 2015 total about 27,000 square miles of territory — 78 percent of militant holdings in Iraq and 58 percent in Syria. About 8,000 square miles have been reclaimed under Trump, McGurk said in a briefing for reporters.
    Among the successes of the current policy, he said, are the near-cessation of civilian displacements inside Syria and Iraq, and the return of hundreds of thousands of displaced civilians to their homes in places previously occupied by the Islamic State.

Taking care of the international refugee crisis at the source.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/10...rces-says.html

The Syrian city of Raqqa was liberated from ISIS fighters Tuesday, a commander with U.S.-backed Syrian forces said, announcing the "fall of the capital of terrorism."

Brig. Gen. Talal Sillo told The Associated Press on Tuesday there were no longer clashes going on in the city, and that a formal declaration would follow.
    The loss deprived the terror group of the capital of its so-called caliphate, which has dwindled from a land mass spanning two countries to a sliver of space in Syria.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    I love that we live in a country where we criticize the President more for how he talks to families of dead soldiers than why we have dead soldiers in the first place

These wars will simply never end

22. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-17-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the...000-2017-10-05
    This time the most well known and oldest U.S. equity benchmark is set to hit 23,000 for the first time ever, notching its fourth straight 1,000 point climb over the past 12 months. That would be the largest number of such 1,000 point moves within a calendar year in the benchmark’s 120+-year history, according to WSJ Market Data Group.

The Dow DJIA, +0.19% remains about 100 points away from the next milestone, and if it manages to clear it within the next 14 trading sessions, the blue-chip average would notch its third fastest climb to 1,000-point milestone since mid July (see table below).

Dow milestones 1st close above that level Dow final close No. of trading days to milestone (ranking)
    23,000 ? N/A ?
    22,000 Aug. 2, 2017 22,016.24 107
    21,000 March 1, 2017 21,115.55 24 (1)
    20,000 Jan. 25, 2017 20,068.51 42 (2)
    19,000 Nov. 22, 2016 19,023.87 483
    18,000 Dec. 23, 2014 18,024.17 120
    17,000 July 3, 2014 17,068.26 153
    16,000 Nov. 21, 2013 16,009.99 139
    15,000 May 7, 2013 15,056.20 1,460
    14,000 July 19, 2007 14,000.41 59 (3)
    13,000 March 25, 2007 13,089.89 127
    12,000 Oct. 19, 2006 12,011.73 1,879
    11,000 May 3, 1999 11,014.69 24 (1)
    10,000 March 29, 1999 10,006.78 246

So, why is the market headed higher?

Some of the recent gain has been attributed to optimism around President Donald Trump’s tax plan. That enthusiasm centers on the belief that he will implement Wall Street-boosting measures, like deregulation and tax cuts, that will pave the way for a further clamber higher for risk assets.
    Since the 2016 election, won in shocking fashion by Trump over Democratic rival Hillary Clinton, the Dow has climbed 28%, the S&P 500 index SPX, +0.10% has advanced almost 20%, the Nasdaq Composite Index COMP, +0.23% has returned about 27.6%, and a popular index of small companies, the Russell 2000 index RUT, +0.09% has jumped 26%. That’s as of early Tuesday trade.

Slightly rosier economic indicators of late, domestically and abroad, and upbeat expectations for corporate results, even if the bar tends to be lowered, also have helped buoy equity indexes.

It is no wonder why Wall Street investors are pointing at signs of a so-called meltup in stocks, and heralding the uncanny rise of assets in every sector, region and class.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/17/us-s...nings-dow.html

Dow hits 23,000 for the first time

The Dow Jones industrial average rose on Tuesday, breaking above 23,000 for the first time.

The 30-stock index reached the milestone just 76 days after first topping 22,000. If the Dow closes above 23,000, it would mark the fourth-fastest 1,000-point increase in the index's long history on a closing basis, according to Howard Silverblatt, senior Index analyst at S&P Dow Jones Indices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/17/us-s...nings-dow.html

Dow hits 23,000 for the first time

The Dow Jones industrial average rose on Tuesday, breaking above 23,000 for the first time.

The 30-stock index reached the milestone just 76 days after first topping 22,000. If the Dow closes above 23,000, it would mark the fourth-fastest 1,000-point increase in the index's long history on a closing basis, according to Howard Silverblatt, senior Index analyst at S&P Dow Jones Indices.
    And the Libs in this country are left scratching their head. All they believed in is crumbling.
    Natural Immunity Croc