Thread: Bob Horner

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts

Bob Horner

Even though I loved Dale Murphy and his right field homer swing, Bob was my favorite with his compact swing and he did not strikeout much at all for a power hitter.

It saddens me when you look at his career stats, he never played 150 games a season, if he had say the norm 155, he would probably have 600 homers for his career (playing 20 years and he would retired before 38) with a low s/o rate and a decent batting average. He is one of those players that if an injury was not terminal he would have been one of the best 3 baggers in history.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-18-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    I love Horner. I grew up on Horner, Murphy, Benedict, Zane smith, etc on tbs immediately after Sanford and son

4. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (04-18-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    112 Posts
    When the Pads started throwing at Pascal Perez back in '84 I think, I loved it that Horn's, who was on the DL at the time, got in uniform and hit the field when the brawl started. Perez hit the first batter of the game, after that the Pads tried to nail him every at bat, finally connecting in the 7th or 8th inning. Best and longest brawl ever.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pfiggy For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (04-18-2016), JohnAdcox (04-18-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pfiggy View Post
    When the Pads started throwing at Pascal Perez back in '84 I think, I loved it that Horn's, who was on the DL at the time, got in uniform and hit the field when the brawl started. Perez hit the first batter of the game, after that the Pads tried to nail him every at bat, finally connecting in the 7th or 8th inning. Best and longest brawl ever.
    Easily #1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I just rewatched it.

Best brawl EVER!!!

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Brett Butler nicknamed Horner The Glass Man because he was so easily, and so often, injured.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Champ Summers sprinting toward the Atlanta dugout, only to be intercepted by Bob Horner short of the top step, was theater of the Saturday afternoon 'rasslin variety (and I mean that as a compliment).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Brett Butler nicknamed Horner The Glass Man because he was so easily, and so often, injured.
    I remember one Saturday afternoon game with Joe G and Tony K interviewing Aaron.
    Asking about Horner Aarons response was "that young man drinks too much beer on the road"
    on national TV !

Was thinking of that earlier today reading about Torre and Carty. I have a friend that was a bat boy in the late 60's that tells hours of stories about the character that was Rico Carty
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pfiggy View Post
    August 12, 1984. Take me out to the brawl game. I was 9 and I remember that game as much as any other in my nearly 35 years as a Braves fan. Before the last out was recorded, 9 players, including 4 pitchers, were ejected along with both managers and replacement managers. Several fans were also led away in handcuffs. For me, it ranks second only to game 6 of the 1995 World Series. I would love to find it on video, but so far I've had no luck.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FreemanFan View Post
    August 12, 1984. Take me out to the brawl game. I was 9 and I remember that game as much as any other in my nearly 35 years as a Braves fan. Before the last out was recorded, 9 players, including 4 pitchers, were ejected along with both managers and replacement managers. Several fans were also led away in handcuffs. For me, it ranks second only to game 6 of the 1995 World Series. I would love to find it on video, but so far I've had no luck.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (04-18-2016), FreemanFan (04-18-2016)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    I remember that brawl like it was yesterday but I miss Pete and Skip.I mean I like Joe but Chip is sooooooo not his dad lol

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Horns was a soft body. A fatty. Bad body type. Spent more time at the buffet table than in the gym. Years ago when I was chasing autgraphs during Spring Training I was talking to Mike Schmidt and Dale Murphy came up. Schmidt told Murph could have easily eclipsed 400 HRs but was unwilling to do what aging players needed to do to compet as they age. He didn't elaborate but I always assumed he meant something about conditioning.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Yeah, it's hard for me to relate to Bob Horner as some kind of ultra phenom. I mean, I realize that he was, but by the time I saw him, he was fat, gimpy, and not capable of making a lot of contact.