Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SB Nation Article About Braves Trade Deadline Possibilities

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    as far as acquiring veteran pitching, I think it's a better investment to buy mid range guys rather than trade for high end as they only cost $$$. If we ARE going to trade young pitching, it should be for young bats, not for older pitching.

Rich Hill is a free agent, give him a couple of years, or Gio , or Cashner or Colon. (the latter two you could probably get on one year deals) All will be about avg to slightly above and only cost $$$ and not many years.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    as far as acquiring veteran pitching, I think it's a better investment to buy mid range guys rather than trade for high end as they only cost $$$. If we ARE going to trade young pitching, it should be for young bats, not for older pitching.

Rich Hill is a free agent, give him a couple of years, or Gio , or Cashner or Colon. (the latter two you could probably get on one year deals) All will be about avg to slightly above and only cost $$$ and not many years.
    I had no idea Rich Hill was still in baseball.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    lol, "inane" there is nothing more inane than making grandiose predictions to push a personal narrative.
    You are one gigantic hypocrite, I will say that much, you've pushed personal narratives fairly consistently since you've been on this board. Nothing like trying to call people out for things you yourself do constantly.

Anyway, not sure what's debbie downer or pushing a narrative about thinking we will be around a .500ish team in 2018, which I think is fairly reasonable to expect. But to expect us to go from a 60 something win team to a high 80s/90s win team (and that's being generous with the current state of the NL wildcard, it took 97 wins last year and is looking like low to mid 90s wins again this year) and be in the playoffs in two seasons isn't particularly realistic without some major high end FA signings or unloading the farm, neither of which I particularly care to see us do for the strength of the future.

Now if people want to consider being around 82 wins competing for the playoffs that's fine, but with the talent the Giants, Dodgers, Mets, Nats, Cubs, Cards, and Pirates have either already up of on the way it's going to take around 90 wins or more to hit the playoffs most likely for the next 4-5 years. And I don't see us hitting 90ish wins until Allard, Soroka, Fried, etc are up.
    Last edited by auyushu; 07-10-2016 at 06:22 PM.

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    You are one gigantic hypocrite, I will say that much, you've pushed personal narratives fairly consistently since you've been on this board. Nothing like trying to call people out for things you yourself do constantly.

Anyway, not sure what's debbie downer or pushing a narrative about thinking we will be around a .500ish team in 2018, which I think is fairly reasonable to expect. But to expect us to go from a 60 something win team to a high 80s/90s win team (and that's being generous with the current state of the NL wildcard, it took 97 wins last year and is looking like low to mid 90s wins again this year) and be in the playoffs in two seasons isn't particularly realistic without some major high end FA signings or unloading the farm, neither of which I particularly care to see us do for the strength of the future.

Now if people want to consider being around 82 wins competing for the playoffs that's fine, but with the talent the Giants, Dodgers, Mets, Nats, Cubs, Cards, and Pirates have either already up of on the way it's going to take around 90 wins or more to hit the playoffs most likely for the next 4-5 years. And I don't see us hitting 90ish wins until Allard, Soroka, Fried, etc are up.

avg 2nd wildcard record since it's inception is 86 wins. I would say being .500 entering Sept makes one "in the wc race"

and please point out where I have made predictions of certainty to push a narrative.

now go get your #$%^% shine box

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts

I've been driving the Gio train for awhile. Cashner would be a good buy low candidate as well.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Not interested in dealing for Gray. We traded so much to rebuild the pen why deal all that away when we are still far away from being a playoff team. If we were a pitcher away from being like a WS contender id consider it but right now i prefer dealing whatever we can. Vizcaino, Frenchy and Markakis for sure id trade. Teheran if we get a good return.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    avg 2nd wildcard record since it's inception is 86 wins. I would say being .500 entering Sept makes one "in the wc race"
    I really don't care enough to track down anything, you've been going off on people since you've been here to push narratives and argue points fairly consistently since you've joined the board.

And like I said, if that's people's definition of being in the playoff hunt then fine, whatever makes people feel better. 82-83 wins isn't going to get you into the playoffs, and we aren't really going to be an 87-88 wins team in the next two years without high end FA signings.

And seriously, with the wannabe internet tough guy stuff and petty insults, what are you, a high schooler?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I'd be stunned if the Braves were pursuing Sonny Gray at the deadline. Would make absolutely no sense. Bear in mind, this speculation is all spawning from a general comment Coppy made after the Norris trade that they're evaluating internal and external options to add to the rotation that are controllable beyond this year. I highly doubt he was implying they'd jump in the bidding against contenders for Sonny Gray in this seller's market.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Internal rotation options for next year include: Teheran, Wisler, Folty, Gant, Baby Harang, Harrell, Blair, Ellis, Newcomb, Sims, Whalen, Jenkins.

It seems to me part of the plan is to let things play out among the internal candidates. We need some patience during this sorting progress. I would not give up on Blair or some of the guys in the minors if they struggle for a bit. I think the number of candidates is so large that the FO will hold off on picking up major league starting pitching this off-season. Other areas in need of upgrading (catcher, third, bench, pen) will have a higher priority.
    Don't know how many times I've heard Glavine and Smoltz say it's useless to start drawing conclusions about Pitchers until they've had AT LEAST 30 MLB starts...

Folty - 24 starts (including today)
    Wisler - 36 starts
    Blair - 11 starts
    Perez - 29 starts

I'm at least as guilty as everyone else of getting frustrated with these guys, but every one of them is 25 or younger, and each has been a Top 50 prospect at some point other than Perez (who was the organization's Pitcher Of The Year not too long ago). I hate it, but trading or giving up on any of these guys at this point is beyond stupid - especially given the fact that we're not in any particular hurry. JMO, but I'm not sure ANY arm in our system should be "available" unless we're getting a seriously significant return. Let's let things shake out rather than doing something stupid.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-11-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    got a problem, come here and solve it internet tough guy. You are a rube, a peasant class piece of human garbage. If you don't want to have me tear your stupid ideas into pieces, either shut your redneck mouth or put me on ignore, your choice. I quite enjoy watching you cry like the little woman you are. It makes me happy. I love the pain of others.
    You are a rather sad individual.
    Last edited by auyushu; 07-10-2016 at 11:48 PM.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,800 Posts
    Refrain from personal attacks, please.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-11-2016)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Enough of the personal stuff, please.

I don't feel like actually having to moderate.
    Forever Fredi

15. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-11-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,292 Posts
    got a problem, come here and solve it internet tough guy. You are a rube, a peasant class piece of human garbage. If you don't want to have me tear your stupid ideas into pieces, either shut your redneck mouth or put me on ignore, your choice. I quite enjoy watching you cry like the little woman you are. It makes me happy. I love the pain of others.
    You need to layoff the personal attacks.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TURBO For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-11-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    How on earth would Gray be better than anyone right now? You think we have magic pixie dust that's going to turn him back into a decent starter? Dude is getting shelled regularly. He's never been the type of pitcher that is scary in a playoff series simply because he's a low strikeout pitch to contact pitcher, but right now he's horrible.

Barring us signing Cespedes and Desmond, the only thing we are going to be competing for the next two years is a .500 record. Trading for players with 3 years of control left, much less pitchers, would be extremely questionable. People made fun of the Padres for trading for people when they had no real chance of going anywhere (and rightfully so), and now people want us to do the same thing when we have even less talent than the Padres did at the time they did that?
    The Padres weren't going for it. They were buying low and doing an allocation of assets. They've already gotten more for Kimbrel than they gave up, and now Melvin has become a trade chip. They're going to get a haul for Myer. They'll get more for Derek Norris than they gave up. They're hoping the same of Kemp, since they got him for a song. The Upton deal kinda backfired as they were hoping to get more in prospects when they flipped him at the deadline, and had to settle for the pick from the QO.

I think we get too caught up in "going for it" and "rebuilding", You should always be trying to make your team better. I'm not advocating Gray right now as I think he'll be too expensive at the deadline. However, in the offseason I could see us trading a package of prospects we deem expendable for a pitcher. That trade would allow us to trade Teheran for a package of prospects we find more valuable than the package we gave up for said pitcher.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    The Padres weren't going for it. They were buying low and doing an allocation of assets. They've already gotten more for Kimbrel than they gave up, and now Melvin has become a trade chip. They're going to get a haul for Myer. They'll get more for Derek Norris than they gave up. They're hoping the same of Kemp, since they got him for a song. The Upton deal kinda backfired as they were hoping to get more in prospects when they flipped him at the deadline, and had to settle for the pick from the QO.

I think we get too caught up in "going for it" and "rebuilding", You should always be trying to make your team better. I'm not advocating Gray right now as I think he'll be too expensive at the deadline. However, in the offseason I could see us trading a package of prospects we deem expendable for a pitcher. That trade would allow us to trade Teheran for a package of prospects we find more valuable than the package we gave up for said pitcher.
    This is a good point... the goal should always be to obtain assets. In the Padres case... they may very well come ahead in all of that due to the assets they acquired.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Enough of the personal stuff, please.

I don't feel like actually having to moderate.
    Lazy wuss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I had no idea Rich Hill was still in baseball.
    Made his way back last year and has been one of the best pitchers in baseball since he came back when healthy. Strikeout rate has been crazy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    However, in the offseason I could see us trading a package of prospects we deem expendable for a pitcher. That trade would allow us to trade Teheran for a package of prospects we find more valuable than the package we gave up for said pitcher.
    Sure, if you can find the right deal then go for it, I don't see Gray as that though. But the Padres were most definitely trying to go for it, the fact that the Kimbrel trade worked out well for them aside. Though the Myers trade also worked out reasonably well for them, they gave up serious talent in Turner and solid talent in Ross. The chances of the Padres moving Myers and getting talent on par with Turner back are extremely small. The Nats are the ones that really made off like bandits in that trade, with the Padres getting solid value and the Rays getting worked.

Though with you bringing up that trade perhaps we should be targeting the Rays in trade, they have not been the same since their FO changes and maybe we could get a steal.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Sure, if you can find the right deal then go for it, I don't see Gray as that though. But the Padres were most definitely trying to go for it, the fact that the Kimbrel trade worked out well for them aside. Though the Myers trade also worked out reasonably well for them, they gave up serious talent in Turner and solid talent in Ross. The chances of the Padres moving Myers and getting talent on par with Turner back are extremely small. The Nats are the ones that really made off like bandits in that trade, with the Padres getting solid value and the Rays getting worked.

Though with you bringing up that trade perhaps we should be targeting the Rays in trade, they have not been the same since their FO changes and maybe we could get a steal.

Have been keeping an eye on the rumors surrounding their rotation pieces. Also think Coppy & Company would seriously consider making several players/prospects available that wouldn't be "available" to other teams if they would entertain the thought of moving Longoria. Both he and Archer would cost a ton, but either would fit perfectly when you consider Julio and Freddie's contracts. If I were going to make a blockbuster offer for anyone, I'd come closest to backing the truck up for Longoria - if you tacked a couple more years on to the end of Freddie's current deal, our infield would be set through 2023 with Freeman, Albies, Swanson, and Longoria. That would be awfully tough. I know Archer's struggled this year, but the same thing registers for him (with me) - add a couple seasons to the end of Julio's deal while you could do it pretty cheaply, and the top 2 spots in the rotation are covered through 2022.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

auyushu (07-11-2016), JohnAdcox (07-11-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I know Archer's struggled this year, but the same thing registers for him (with me) - add a couple seasons to the end of Julio's deal while you could do it pretty cheaply, and the top 2 spots in the rotation are covered through 2022.
    Archer would actually be an interesting buy low ( I doubt it would be that much of a buy low, but still). Unlike Gray who has his hard hit ball % go through the roof, Archer has stayed fairly consistent across the board with exception of two areas, his BB rate and HR rate, which are probably related I'm sure. If Archer gets his control back a bit he'll go back to being a TOR guy, his velocity and K rates are still excellent. And of course the contract is insanely good.

I really hope we can get some Rays type contracts signed with our younger guys going forward, they are the masters of controllable team friendly deals it seems.