Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If we bring in 2 SP what do they do with prospects

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    A great offseason for me should be: We trade Wisler plus for Chris Archer. Ubaldo Jimenez for Nick Markakis. Equal contracts. We can add Josh Reddick that is younger or give the position to Mallex Smith. Sign Wieters 2 years and 32 millions. Yes i know is a lot of money. But we can draft a guy like JJ Swartz and he may be ready in 2 years.
    Lineup:
    Archer
    Teheran
    Folty
    Jimenez ( we can sub with Newcomb )
    Blair

Inciarte
    Swanson
    Freeman
    Kemp
    Wieters
    Reddick
    Garcia
    Peterson - Albies

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    I'm talking numbers, not names. You want to roll the dice that we won't lose 4-5 people due to the Rule V without getting a thing ni return?
    And I'm telling you the numbers depend on the names. I am not in favor of a strategy that says, 'We need to trade 4 guys to make room on the 40-man roster anyway, so let's give up Newcomb, Anderson, Riley, and Acuna.' If you want to say we need to trade 4 guys to make room on the 40-man roster, and those 4 guys are the 4 we would have had to cut, then fine. But I'm not going to start trading some number of prospects just because we feel we need to do that in order to make the numbers work.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    A great offseason for me should be: We trade Wisler plus for Chris Archer. Ubaldo Jimenez for Nick Markakis. Equal contracts. We can add Josh Reddick that is younger or give the position to Mallex Smith. Sign Wieters 2 years and 32 millions. Yes i know is a lot of money. But we can draft a guy like JJ Swartz and he may be ready in 2 years.
    Lineup:
    Archer
    Teheran
    Folty
    Jimenez ( we can sub with Newcomb )
    Blair

Inciarte
    Swanson
    Freeman
    Kemp
    Wieters
    Reddick
    Garcia
    Peterson - Albies
    Wisler plus? Do you mean 'Wisler plus Newcomb and Allard? Because Wisler as the primary piece is not getting you anywhere near Archer.

And I'd be interested to hear why you want Jimenez.

Reddick basically is Markakis, you'd just be stuck with him longer.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    a great off season for me is that we sign a couple of starting pitchers and a Catcher to no more than 2 year deals (team options ok, but only 2 guaranteed).

I do think we'll look to make a splash trade, just don't know who is available. I doubt Allard, Sorka, Fried, Riley, Albies, or Acuna is available. I still think it will be hard on them to give up on Newcombe. So the question will be if someone is willing to take a poo poo platter for someone. Maybe McCann is that guy, but I'm not for trading anyone decent for McCann. I'd say maybe McCutchen would be that guy b/c it's only one year and they have Meadows....but where would we play him? And why do it for one year?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    And I'm telling you the numbers depend on the names. I am not in favor of a strategy that says, 'We need to trade 4 guys to make room on the 40-man roster anyway, so let's give up Newcomb, Anderson, Riley, and Acuna.' If you want to say we need to trade 4 guys to make room on the 40-man roster, and those 4 guys are the 4 we would have had to cut, then fine. But I'm not going to start trading some number of prospects just because we feel we need to do that in order to make the numbers work.
    OF COURSE they're not trading the elite guys over the borderline roster keeps. I was hoping you'd give me a little credit about my position. Have you been led to believe that I'm a fanboy who treats the real world like fantasy league? I will spell out my position: you sweeten the pot with maybe ONE of your elite guys and three of the second tier. Our second tier is SO RICH right now that it would bring a very significant player or players in return.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    OF COURSE they're not trading the elite guys over the borderline roster keeps. I was hoping you'd give me a little credit about my position. Have you been led to believe that I'm a fanboy who treats the real world like fantasy league? I will spell out my position: you sweeten the pot with maybe ONE of your elite guys and three of the second tier. Our second tier is SO RICH right now that it would bring a very significant player or players in return.
    It always just depends, though. That's my only point. Sure, I'm open to trading some prospects. Who exactly those prospects are and how many is totally dependent on the individual deal. I don't think we have to do much of anything in that regard.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    The braves want 2-3 pitchers. If we get Jimenez for Markakis we are swapping salaries. We are getting one pitcher without spend any money from the one we have free. Plus we can trade Jimenez at the end of the year for a few more pitchers prospects.

Archer, Sale and Gray the three of them. Will require multiple players. But the only way we can make a trade like those is if we start with one of Folty or Wisler. Probably they will offer Allard and Wentz. If they want to make a very near future playoff run. We can draft more pitchers in the upcoming draft.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    The braves want 2-3 pitchers. If we get Jimenez for Markakis we are swapping salaries. We are getting one pitcher without spend any money from the one we have free. Plus we can trade Jimenez at the end of the year for a few more pitchers prospects.

Archer, Sale and Gray the three of them. Will require multiple players. But the only way we can make a trade like those is if we start with one of Folty or Wisler. Probably they will offer Allard and Wentz. If they want to make a very near future playoff run. We can draft more pitchers in the upcoming draft.
    But Jimenez is horrible. He doesn't really count as 1 SP since we can easily replace his production from someone in the minors, and there's very little chance of getting much of anything in return for him in a trade.

Wisler is not as appealing to teams as Allard or several other of our pitching prospects, like Newcomb or even Fried. He's ready now but nowhere near as good as the 3 guys you listed, so he doesn't offer much in return for them. If you're trading one of those 3, you're looking for ceiling.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-11-2016)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    But Jimenez is horrible. He doesn't really count as 1 SP since we can easily replace his production from someone in the minors, and there's very little chance of getting much of anything in return for him in a trade.

Wisler is not as appealing to teams as Allard or several other of our pitching prospects, like Newcomb or even Fried. He's ready now but nowhere near as good as the 3 guys you listed, so he doesn't offer much in return for them. If you're trading one of those 3, you're looking for ceiling.
    I am anxious to see how guys like Wisler and Blair do with a new coach next year. If what we are hearing is true (about both McDowell and potentials like Black) then we could see breakouts by them and Newcomb.

The off-season is a time for optimism. I am getting excited!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-11-2016), JohnAdcox (10-11-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    with both Texas and redsuxs getting bounced rather easily, you think they will be very active in the pitching market... (something they should have done at the deadline.. but oh well)..

I wonder if they will look at JT again this offseason. however, the price will be very steep at this point. I don't think Copy is trading JT for anything less than a Miller type deal.. and that might not be enough..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    with both Texas and redsuxs getting bounced rather easily, you think they will be very active in the pitching market... (something they should have done at the deadline.. but oh well)..

I wonder if they will look at JT again this offseason. however, the price will be very steep at this point. I don't think Copy is trading JT for anything less than a Miller type deal.. and that might not be enough..
    I said it going into the playoffs, but the Sox were foolish not to get a guy like Teheran - he would have been yuge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    They both had some good pitching and it got clobbered. Teheran wouldn't have helped them get to the ALCS.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    They both had some good pitching and it got clobbered. Teheran wouldn't have helped them get to the ALCS.
    I disagree.. but like I said early last week.. we will see how JT performs in the playoffs next year.. I think he will be lights out.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I disagree.. but like I said early last week.. we will see how JT performs in the playoffs next year.. I think he will be lights out.
    JT would of won all 3 games in the ALDS for them?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    JT would of won all 3 games in the ALDS for them?
    get real.. probably only 2..

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-11-2016), Preacher (10-12-2016)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    The BoSox certainly didn't BELIEVE Teheran was any better than what they had. I think they convinced themselves of that because they didn't want to pay the price it was going to take to get him.

Whether it was Teheran or some other similar starter, it was pretty clear that they were short on SP and getting Pomeranz didn't really address the issue.

They really had Price and Porcello and almost nothing else.

However, I think a case could be made that their management knew that they were a year early in competing and weren't ready to sell the farm as a parting gift for Big Papi. If that was their thinking, I think they navigated the public relations pitfalls pretty well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    However, I think a case could be made that their management knew that they were a year early in competing and weren't ready to sell the farm as a parting gift for Big Papi. If that was their thinking, I think they navigated the public relations pitfalls pretty well.
    They're going to remain good going forward, but I severely doubt their offense is as good as it was this year anytime soon. So many guys had career-type years and Papi will be gone after his insane final year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    They're going to remain good going forward, but I severely doubt their offense is as good as it was this year anytime soon. So many guys had career-type years and Papi will be gone after his insane final year.
    I agree Big Papi was excellent, Mookie was just incredible, Pedroia's year (second half particularly) was exceptional and Porcello was better than he's ever been.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    We'll see. Betts and Boegarts are still not in their prime and put up even better numbers in the minors. Benintendi will get better and be around for a full year. Moncada will be there. I don't think their offense is going anywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    We'll see. Betts and Boegarts are still not in their prime and put up even better numbers in the minors. Benintendi will get better and be around for a full year. Moncada will be there. I don't think their offense is going anywhere.
    I'm not convinced Betts will be a 9.6 WAR player every year, or that Bradley and Pedroia can keep up that level of production, and Papi is gone. The team and their offense will remain good, but like 5 guys had potential career years, all at the same time (and all remained healthy). That doesn't happen very often.