Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Prospect digest 10 prospect listing

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    No - that is not what I said. I said "the bad would have walloped the good if not for the Swanson deal"

How is the Olivera deal a wash? Because of it, we lost productive young assets and instead are paying a 1WAR player $18M a year for 3 years. I think that compounded the badness of the deal
    Because those young assets aren't productive?

In 22 starts since the trade, Wood has been mediocre. Peraza has been replacement-level.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,782 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Because those young assets aren't productive?

In 22 starts since the trade, Wood has been mediocre. Peraza has been replacement-level.
    Mediocre would be fine so we don't have to go out and sign RA Dickey.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    You think those bad deals trump the good deals?

The Olivera deal is mostly a wash; it looks quite a bit better now than it did at the time. So you have two bad deals, according to you - one of which resulted in a top-50 pitching prospect and Austin Riley for a RP being paid big money, and the other got us Newcomb, who is still a high-ceiling arm whose future is undetermined. If that is the 'bad' then how on earth would you try to argue it trumps the good done?
    John fatigue. everyone is ready for results. Plus everyone is forgetting the garbage trades that did amount to stuff.

we turn Juan Jamie and Cahill into Uribe who turned into Gant and Whalen who turned into TD +
    We still have Paco from the HO deal..
    We got Krol as an off shoot to the Kimbrell deal.
    We traded Frenchy and some international coin for Dylan Moore

there have a lot of under the radar type moves that I have to give him credit for.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    You think those bad deals trump the good deals?

The Olivera deal is mostly a wash; it looks quite a bit better now than it did at the time. So you have two bad deals, according to you - one of which resulted in a top-50 pitching prospect and Austin Riley for a RP being paid big money, and the other got us Newcomb, who is still a high-ceiling arm whose future is undetermined. If that is the 'bad' then how on earth would you try to argue it trumps the good done?
    The fact is....while the HO trade didn't really hurt us...we could have gotten a good MLB player or probably 3 good prospects. For what we gave up.

We could a have gotten two more good prospects in the Kimbrel deal.

We could have gotten "at least" two good prospects in the Simmons deal.

That's 6-7 good prospects. Imagine 6-7 more Riley or Touki types to our farm!!

So...we still are doing just fine...BUT...we could have something even better if a few trades were handled differently.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    I would not call the HO trade a wash.. I will always say it was a bad trade.. If we flip Kemp for something or just able to dump his contract, I will say Coppy did a good job covering his mistake. Yes Wood and Jose are mediocre right now.. but they are still in the league and can produce. HO was scum who was a terrible ball player. That deal is what gets people fired..

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    The fact is....while the HO trade didn't really hurt us...we could have gotten a good MLB player or probably 3 good prospects. For what we gave up.

So...we still are doing just fine...BUT...we could have something even better if a few trades were handled differently.
    I disagree..

Kimbrell deal was good. We traded our closer prior to the market going ape **** on Relief pitchers. I think we did just fine in the Craig deal

I also don't think we could have gotten much more in the Simmons deal. Simmons is a special player but not the best all around short stop. There are a lot of great SS around the league and a lot that are coming up. The market for SS needs is very thin.

We could have gotten a lot more than HO..

could haves are fun, but that doesn't make them true.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Mediocre would be fine so we don't have to go out and sign RA Dickey.
    Dickey is better than Wood right now. My point is not that it was a good deal, just that in hindsight we didn't really lose anything of consequence, so it's not really that bad a deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

In a perfect scenario where all our evaluations are correct and all of our moves are ideal, sure. I'm not going to say that everything we've done has been perfect. But I would definitely say we've done a good job of turning a major league roster without much value left on their current deals and no minor league system to speak of into an extremely good system and promise at the big league level.

I would say our FO has to get at least a solid B+ to an A. Giving them a C+ is just asinine.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I would not call the HO trade a wash.. I will always say it was a bad trade.. If we flip Kemp for something or just able to dump his contract, I will say Coppy did a good job covering his mistake. Yes Wood and Jose are mediocre right now.. but they are still in the league and can produce. HO was scum who was a terrible ball player. That deal is what gets people fired..
    You don't get fired for giving up Alex Wood and Jose Peraza. You just don't. It was a bad deal. It was not a disaster that will hold us back.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    You don't get fired for giving up Alex Wood and Jose Peraza. You just don't. It was a bad deal. It was not a disaster that will hold us back.
    remove the names. a team that gives up a 24 LHP that was ~3.5 ERA career and on season.. plus the teams #1 to 2ish prospect for a 30 year old Cuban with no MLB experience and injury history. yeah, that can get you fired. I didn't say Copi needed to be fired.. but that was Dave Stewart kind of dumb..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    remove the names. a team that gives up a 24 LHP that was ~3.5 ERA career and on season.. plus the teams #1 to 2ish prospect for a 30 year old Cuban with no MLB experience and injury history. yeah, that can get you fired. I didn't say Copi needed to be fired.. but that was Dave Stewart kind of dumb..
    It absolutely was not Dave Stewart level dumb. That is hyperbole. Peraza was a decent prospect that was #1-2 in our system because our system was trash. And Wood was really good for us, but the injury concerns were an issue. And the value of both has gone down from the time of the trade. I hated the deal at the time it was made because I inflated the value of Wood and Peraza. Looking back, I'm not that concerned with it. Not a good deal, and we were completely wrong on Olivera, but it's not a killer.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Dickey is better than Wood right now. My point is not that it was a good deal, just that in hindsight we didn't really lose anything of consequence, so it's not really that bad a deal.
    Dickey hasn't had a FIP under 4 in 4 years. I would take Wood even if he gives me less innings.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    It absolutely was not Dave Stewart level dumb. That is hyperbole. Peraza was a decent prospect that was #1-2 in our system because our system was trash. And Wood was really good for us, but the injury concerns were an issue. And the value of both has gone down from the time of the trade. I hated the deal at the time it was made because I inflated the value of Wood and Peraza. Looking back, I'm not that concerned with it. Not a good deal, and we were completely wrong on Olivera, but it's not a killer.
    Peraza was Baseball America #26 prospect at the time of the trade. Wood wasn't even in arby yet. That has a lot of value. They incorrectly valued HO because he had a super team friendly contract. If he proved to be a 2-3 WAR player then that is a spectacular deal for the Braves. It became real clear really fast that this would not be the case.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Peraza was Baseball America #26 prospect at the time of the trade. Wood wasn't even in arby yet. That has a lot of value. They incorrectly valued HO because he had a super team friendly contract. If he proved to be a 2-3 WAR player then that is a spectacular deal for the Braves. It became real clear really fast that this would not be the case.
    The Dodgers turned around and traded Peraza in a package, and the best thing they got back in return was Montas, who was barely in the top 100. It's pretty clear Peraza's value wasn't truly that of a typical top-30 prospect. BA may have had him there, but his value had dipped by the time we dealt him. He was a 2B with limited offense. Shortly after the trade, they ranked him #66. He was a flawed prospect, and his major league results so far have been even worse than his prospect status.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

When you say we could have...what is that based off of?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    The Dodgers turned around and traded Peraza in a package, and the best thing they got back in return was Montas, who was barely in the top 100. It's pretty clear Peraza's value wasn't truly that of a typical top-30 prospect. BA may have had him there, but his value had dipped by the time we dealt him. He was a 2B with limited offense. Shortly after the trade, they ranked him #66. He was a flawed prospect, and his major league results so far have been even worse than his prospect status.
    I agree that is status fell quickly after the trade. Still Perza and Wood for a complete unknown is very very poor. The Braves gambled and lost. Still had the mindset of trying to compete when they should be rebuilding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Or you could look at it like giving up a pitcher who had decreasing velicity and talks of going to the pen since he was drafted as well as a slap hitting mif that is most likely a utility player for one of the best players from Cuba that scouts projected to be a middle of the order hitter.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    When you say we could have...what is that based off of?

We traded Wood and Perza hoping HO would be a regular with a cheap salary. It was a win now move and not a rebuilding move.

The fact we shouldn't have used Kimbreal to clear Melvins salary. That is not a rebuilding move.

The Simmons deal wasn't as bad but it hasn't turned out good so far. In a perfect world Newcomb progressed and is close to getting a starting job and the SS we got would have played to career levels and could have flipped him in July or got a trade pick for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I agree that is status fell quickly after the trade. Still Perza and Wood for a complete unknown is very very poor. The Braves gambled and lost. Still had the mindset of trying to compete when they should be rebuilding.
    They had the mindset of getting a valuable asset. Age is irrelevant in that discussion. Braves are not shy about trading non core pieces

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    We traded Wood and Perza hoping HO would be a regular with a cheap salary. It was a win now move and not a rebuilding move.

The fact we shouldn't have used Kimbreal to clear Melvins salary. That is not a rebuilding move.

The Simmons deal wasn't as bad but it hasn't turned out good so far. In a perfect world Newcomb progressed and is close to getting a starting job and the SS we got would have played to career levels and could have flipped him in July or got a trade pick for him.
    But he is presuming something was available aside from what the braves got. Just curious what he may know.