Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Braves to acquire Brandon Phillips

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Maybe we can sign Phillips to a 6 year extension after the year.

Chris Johnson...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-15-2017), The Chosen One (02-12-2017)

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    wonder what Angel Pagan would cost to backup all 3 OF spots.....hmmm
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Regarding the $, I'm assuming that the $1.5m mentioned by Shanks is the right number. Braves pay $1m of his salary and then the assignment bonus that Bowden mentioned must be $500k.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    makes sense. still absolute peanuts. even if he's mediocre to bad he earns his Braves $$$

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman
    Braves will be paying only $1M of Phillips salary

Even better.
    Why is this necessarily better?

If the Braves could have picked up a significant chunk of his salary we probably could have gotten something else back with him.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad deal -- but I fail to see the point -- I don't think we are competing this year, we don't have the opportunity to flip him at the deadline, he's a FA after this season and we have Jace/Albies (both younger guys that should get at bats in a season like this).

If we trade for Phillips I would want either his No-Trade to go away, or pick up a significant chunk of his salary to get something back with him.

I don't see the point.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    I'm not sure it's in Phillips' best interest to demand the no-trade be retained. Since the Braves owe him nothing, it's just as easy to to release him as to trade him, and then he's out on the open market and could go anywhere. I assume it's the last year of his deal?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    This SRod injury really sucks. Not only does it downgrade the production at 2b, it also downgrades the production at 3b all season especially after Albies comes up. This whole set of circumstances probably lost the Braves 1-2 wins.

As far as BP goes, pretty much a nothing move at this point in his career. This is the type of "name" player casual fans like to see, so I suppose there's a positive in that regard.

Predictably, we are already seeing the usual suspects desperately trying to make the acquisition more impactful than it is. I expect to see stories about how reinvigorated BP is in Atlanta shortly as well.

At least they aren't paying this particular "name" player a salary commensurate of an impact player.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-12-2017 at 01:46 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    I'm not sure it's in Phillips' best interest to demand the no-trade be retained. Since the Braves owe him nothing, it's just as easy to to release him as to trade him, and then he's out on the open market and could go anywhere. I assume it's the last year of his deal?
    it's a done deal, the braves retained his no trade and gave him some extra $$$ (hearing $500k assignment bonus) so he has a no trade clause still.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    The price will be about the same for both players if Phillips stinks it up and is DFA'd. I feel like Utley has the better chance of contributing, but they'll both likely be sub 1.5 WAR players.
    Yeah - kinda six of one, half-dozen of another for me. I just like the local-boy angle with Phillips a little better personally. Not enough to have cared much either way though - could probably throw a blanket over the two of them and Jace when all is said and done though.

Going to be interesting to see what Phillips does to the lineup. Would guess it becomes...

Ender, Swanson, Freeman, Kemp, Markakis, Phillips, Garcia, Flowers

This is where a Wieters addition would've been nice to slot between BP and Adonis.
    Last edited by clvclv; 02-12-2017 at 02:24 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Not sure about the line up. Something tells me Snit is going to have Adonis hitting higher than 7th or 8th initially. He seems like a if it ain't broke don't fix it kind of guy. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he is hitting in the 2 hole out of the gate. Can't say I agree. But then I have a feeling there will be a few things I will disagree with when it comes to snit.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    This is sort of a decent neutral deal. Doesn't really change much for us, but it cost essentially nothing. As a fan, it will be kind of cool to see Phillips in a Braves uniform, and he should be good in the clubhouse. It'll be interesting to see what we do when Albies is ready, but this is a pretty good deal to replace Rodriguez.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    This seems to explain the $500k gap. Didn't give him a NTC beyond what's in his current deal.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-15-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    ^

I like the sound of this a little better than a blanket no-trade clause.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Yeah, may be able to flip him once Albies is ready...which hopefully won't be too terribly long.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Not sure about the line up. Something tells me Snit is going to have Adonis hitting higher than 7th or 8th initially. He seems like a if it ain't broke don't fix it kind of guy. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he is hitting in the 2 hole out of the gate. Can't say I agree. But then I have a feeling there will be a few things I will disagree with when it comes to snit.
    You're getting him confused with the last guy. He's already said he's leaning toward hitting Dansby in the two hole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    ^

I like the sound of this a little better than a blanket no-trade clause.
    That's fine. Fills a short term hole. He might have a little juice from the hometown thing. If not, no harm. I think we have more invested in Recker.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (02-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This SRod injury really sucks. Not only does it downgrade the production at 2b, it also downgrades the production at 3b all season especially after Albies comes up. This whole set of circumstances probably lost the Braves 1-2 wins.

As far as BP goes, pretty much a nothing move at this point in his career. This is the type of "name" player casual fans like to see, so I suppose there's a positive in that regard.

Predictably, we are already seeing the usual suspects desperately trying to make the acquisition more impactful than it is. I expect to see stories about how reinvigorated BP is in Atlanta shortly as well.

At least they aren't paying this particular "name" player a salary commensurate of an impact player.
    It's Frenchy money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    I cannot believe we gave up Carlos Portuondo in the Phillips deal.

Just outside our top 30 with a 2.70 ERA and no homers given up at Gwinnett last year. A 1:1 BB/K ratio. Eight years of ever-improving performance in Cuba's storied Serie Nacíonal. How does Coppy sleep after dealing a LH pitching prospect like this?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (02-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Terrific deal. Not a huge Phillips fan, but a good stop-gap for Albies after the S-Rod injury.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Some people wouldn't be satisfied unless we netted Kershaw for a rookie ball reserve catcher. We gave up nothing and got a guy who we're paying peanuts who might actually contribute.

For some, any move that doesn't get you a star is a disappointment. Not every position can have a star. You have to fill out your lineup with guys who can contribute. That's Phillips. He's a perfect fit for us at this point.