Page 119 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 19691091171181191201211291692196191119 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,380 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017...signing-impact

For reference for the uninitiated, a DP or designated player are usually quite good. MLS allows each team 3 designated players who can make more than the maximum salary (something like 400K) and are typically paid over a million dollars, some as high as 5-7 million depending on draw or skill.
    I'm against the designated player. I'm more of a national league kind of guy. :)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think Bannon might be worse. Cheney at least had an election certificate.

The only problem with becoming unhinged about Cheney is where do you go when you get to someone like Bannon?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Yeah, Edward Snowden and Chelsea Manning were both on the National Security Council under Obama. I like Greenwald, but that's a pretty weak analogy. Like Julio, I think Obama's aversion to leaks and penchant for secrecy are extremely relevant to the conversation.
    To be fair, it is obvious to everyone that Obama had a very friendly mainstream media on his side and that Trump does not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Do you mean that other administrations clumsily broke The Logan Act then had the VP elect go on TV and lie about it? Or do you mean that other Presidents were elected with the help of a foreign govt while basically bragging about it the whole time?
    Just that other presidents were able to hide these infractions better many due to a less divided nation.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I would agree trump is his own worst enemy but let's not act like these things that the media is going crazy over haven't happened countless times in prior administrations.

It seems clear to me Trump will keep being Trump and the forces arrayed against him will keep going after him, b both honestly and dishonestly. It's just a matter of when it will all come crashing down. It's not going to be pretty.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    I've read of "Deep Government" twice recently - once in regard to the Indonesian Christian governor being charged with blasphemy (against Islam) and the Deep Government behind such charges. And now, with the spooks who've taken out Flynn (btw, not a good guy in my book). I'm thinking we all - no matter the letter on our jersey, should be uncomfortable, not only with Trump, but with the way this is all unfolding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    To be fair, it is obvious to everyone that Obama had a very friendly mainstream media on his side and that Trump does not.
    Not jut media. There are factions in department agencies that are making in their purpose to get dirt on the current admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Not jut media. There are factions in department agencies that are making in their purpose to get dirt on the current admin.
    What factions can't find dirt on him? There's dirt everywhere. Apparently the FBI and others knew about the communication with Russia during the campaign and hid it. Thus far the government seems to have done its best to protect Trump. One has to wonder why.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    I've read of "Deep Government" twice recently - once in regard to the Indonesian Christian governor being charged with blasphemy (against Islam) and the Deep Government behind such charges. And now, with the spooks who've taken out Flynn (btw, not a good guy in my book). I'm thinking we all - no matter the letter on our jersey, should be uncomfortable, not only with Trump, but with the way this is all unfolding.
    Agreed, and it's also not necessarily wise to jump to conclusions about the "spooks who've taken out Flynn."

This article is a pretty good rundown on how the Flynn thing likely went down.

Some things that occur to me. First, this stuff has been known to Congress for a while, so some of the sources may very well be Congressional staff instead of Intel. officials. That doesn't necessarily make it kosher, but it does look more like business as usual than like a shadowy coup by the IC. Second, as much rightful concern as there is about leaks, I think it's worth asking if the Trump WH, especially now that AG Sessions is in place, would have been forthcoming about any of this without some sunlight hitting it. Their track record is not encouraging. Third, on the contact with Russia front, there are on-record quotes from at least one Russian official about contact with the Trump campaign during the election.

I think your statement is reasonable, and I'd add as a caveat not to bite too hard on the "rogue spy"/"Deep State" narrative until we know more. If we're to withhold judgement about the motivations for the WH's consistent untruths about contact with Russia until it's been further unpacked, I'd say the same about the sources/methods/protocols within the IC.
    Last edited by Julio3000; 02-15-2017 at 11:03 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (02-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I think they're all, Congress including, scrambling around trying to contain this. They have to be really careful with Flynn lest he squeal and bring them all down with him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I think they're all, Congress including, scrambling around trying to contain this. They have to be really careful with Flynn lest he squeal and bring them all down with him.
    Ryan took a very hard line on Russia this morning.

Plus, there's this (Iranian Quds force leader sanctioned by US visits Moscow last night), a Russian spy ship hanging out off the coast, and Russian jets buzzing a US ship when the Flynn thing started to pop. Taken together, it might amount to a message from Moscow.
    Last edited by Julio3000; 02-15-2017 at 11:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Ryan took a very hard line on Russia this morning.

Plus, there's this (Iranian Quds force leader sanctioned by US visits Moscow last night), a Russian spy ship hanging out off the coast, and Russian jets buzzing a US ship when the Flynn thing started to pop. Taken together, it might amount to a message from Moscow.
    Why would Russia start these provocations now, with Trump's WH already in a vise grip?

Is Putin's plan just to throw the U.S. govt into chaos? It's working.
    Last edited by Runnin; 02-15-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    MAGA. Drain the Swamp. When will Agent Orange act on his promises. Where's the wall. The big beautiful wall. Where's the check from Mexico.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Why would Russia start these provocations now, with Trump's WH already in a vise grip?
    I didn't even mention the deployment of a new cruise missile that apparently contravenes the disarmament treaty.

I don't know. It just seems like too much stuff in a short period of time to be a coincidence. And it's all happening while we are missing a huge chunk of our NatSec apparatus (permanent NSA/deputy/staff, undersecretaries at State and Defense). Are they probing to see what kind of response they get from the WH, testing the level of goodwill that exists? Are they warning the administration not to upset the applecart? Are they simply trying to destabilize and sow confusion? Could be any or all of those things. Could be nothing. One thing I will say is that Putin may be a spook, but he is not subtle.

It's also happening while the Israeli PM is in town, and they stand to lose if we lend legitimacy to Russia's influence in Syria.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Senate Majority Leader on payroll of Education Secretary:

DeVos family among McConnell's biggest donors

http://www.courier-journal.com/story...nors/97843046/
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Be careful what you wish for. Pence is hardcore as Trump is a semi Democrat that goes for the lowest denominator of control or money.

When Pence takeover from Pres. Douchebag, aka Agent Orange, I wonder what 57 will post about since Pence won't tweet, has few skeletons or what not (just a hardass Conservative). Should I invest in a straight jacket and send the orderlies to his house?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

Oklahomahawk (02-17-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    or maybe Obama was better at Presidenting than Trump !
    kinda like a baseball manager that declares war on sportswriters then his team goes into the inevitable tailspin and they smell blood

The oldest rule in politics "never go to war with those that buy ink by the barrel "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I didn't even mention the deployment of a new cruise missile that apparently contravenes the disarmament treaty.

I don't know. It just seems like too much stuff in a short period of time to be a coincidence. And it's all happening while we are missing a huge chunk of our NatSec apparatus (permanent NSA/deputy/staff, undersecretaries at State and Defense). Are they probing to see what kind of response they get from the WH, testing the level of goodwill that exists? Are they warning the administration not to upset the applecart? Are they simply trying to destabilize and sow confusion? Could be any or all of those things. Could be nothing. One thing I will say is that Putin may be a spook, but he is not subtle.

It's also happening while the Israeli PM is in town, and they stand to lose if we lend legitimacy to Russia's influence in Syria.
    Yes, I'm reading it to. It's really surprising to me how oafish and slow our paranoid protection apparatus actually is. Not to mention how dumb a guy who was supposed to have experience in the Intelligence field was when it came to covering his own tracks.
    Last edited by Runnin; 02-15-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    or maybe Obama was better at Presidenting than Trump !
    kinda like a baseball manager that declares war on sportswriters then his team goes into the inevitable tailspin and they smell blood

The oldest rule in politics "never go to war with those that buy ink by the barrel "
    Obama is light years better at than Trump, hell my 6 year old son is.

The matter of the fact is that Trump and Obama share one quality my Black Caucus friends say, his ego equals Trump and probably then some.

Obama is not an idiot, Trump is. Obama had a goal of being in a legacy group and will not intentionally hurt people, just ignore them. Trump just like to win and will step on people, insult people, grind them up, regardless, which makes him a douchebag.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. Pence is hardcore as Trump is a semi Democrat that goes for the lowest denominator of control or money.

When Pence takeover from Pres. Douchebag, aka Agent Orange, I wonder what 57 will post about since Pence won't tweet, has few skeletons or what not (just a hardass Conservative). Should I invest in a straight jacket and send the orderlies to his house?
    I find Pence deplorable. 35 ways to Sunday
    There are no worries about a Pence Presidency in the Trumpian sense.
    Of course we have disagreement on policy .

Which would be a welcome change.
    For everyone

http://www.rollcall.com/news/politic...political-past
    Last edited by 57Brave; 02-15-2017 at 12:19 PM.