Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast

Thread: 2018: The Year Of The Venezuelan Trout

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    I've said over and over again that Acuna's rapid improvement to his plate discipline is the most impressive thing to me about his rookie season. Sullivan at FG agrees: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/rona...s-in-baseball/

"In the first half of the season, Acuna swung at 31% of pitches out of the strike zone. That’s nothing awful, but it was still below average. Over just the past 30 days, Acuna has swung at 20% of pitches out of the strike zone. That ranks him 11th-lowest, out of 169 players. "

What do you get when you combine a Top 20% average FB/LD exit velocity with a 40% FB rate, a 10% walk rate, 20%-25% K rate, and a .330+ BABIP over 600 PAs?

You get a .900+ OPS monster with a chance at 40 HRs...and you don't bat him leadoff...
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-18-2018 at 03:52 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Hulavol (09-18-2018), Jaw (09-19-2018), jpx7 (09-19-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (09-18-2018), TURBO (09-19-2018), UNCBlue012 (09-18-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    But can he throw strikes.
    Coppy

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-19-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (09-18-2018)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    But can he throw strikes.
    The kids and I were pondering an even bigger question on the way home from baseball practice earlier this evening.

Can Acuna beat The Freeze?

I took Ozzie over Acuna to beat The Freeze.

The other idea they had was Acuna and Soto race The Freeze for ROY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I've said over and over again that Acuna's rapid improvement to his plate discipline is the most impressive thing to me about his rookie season. Sullivan at FG agrees: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/rona...s-in-baseball/

"In the first half of the season, Acuna swung at 31% of pitches out of the strike zone. That’s nothing awful, but it was still below average. Over just the past 30 days, Acuna has swung at 20% of pitches out of the strike zone. That ranks him 11th-lowest, out of 169 players. "

What do you get when you combine a Top 20% average FB/LD exit velocity with a 40% FB rate, a 10% walk rate, 20%-25% K rate, and a .330+ BABIP over 600 PAs?

You get a .900+ OPS monster with a chance at 40 HRs...and you don't bat him leadoff...
    For me the most impressive thing about Acuna is the eagerness to change his approach which would theoretically lead to more patience at the plate as you described. He quasi radically changed his swing which gave him the ability to wait on the ball a bit more, which allows him to see pitches a fraction longer then he used to. He doesn't need to start his swing as early as he used to. The fact that he's mature enough to welcome such a significant change at such a young age and so early in his career is pretty exciting to witness. It's also just so much fun to watch his energy and apparent love for the game.
    thank you weso1!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-19-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    For me the most impressive thing about Acuna is the eagerness to change his approach which would theoretically lead to more patience at the plate as you described. He quasi radically changed his swing which gave him the ability to wait on the ball a bit more, which allows him to see pitches a fraction longer then he used to. He doesn't need to start his swing as early as he used to. The fact that he's mature enough to welcome such a significant change at such a young age and so early in his career is pretty exciting to witness. It's also just so much fun to watch his energy and apparent love for the game.
    Can you "quasi" an adverb? Never seen it done

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (09-20-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    extent
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    He just slightly dramatically changed the english language.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    It’s used as an adverb in many other languages—though in Latin (its etymological source) it actually functions as a conjunction. And English is pretty malleable: pretty much any adjective can be deployed adverbially.

Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    extent
    English is pretty malleable.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-20-2018), Super (09-20-2018), The Chosen One (09-20-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    He just slightly dramatically changed the english language.
    The Ted Williams or Mike Trout of the English language?
    Ivermectin Man

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    612 Posts
    He is the Acuna of the English language... complete with an interpreter...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    It’s used as an adverb in many other languages—though in Latin (its etymological source) it actually functions as a conjunction. And English is pretty malleable: pretty much any adjective can be deployed adverbially.

English is pretty malleable.
    quasi extent is not acceptable

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    One amazing sign that you see with Acuna is how he intentionally goes to opposite field if he makes several routine outs or starts grounding out to left side of the infield. This is the way hitters get back into sequence and stay "inside" the ball. Acuna does this exceptionally well and shows great awareness and willingness to make adjustments. Hopefully that will rub off on Ozzie once he has an off season to assess.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Not afraid to come at the vets of the board.

Already trying to make your case stronger for the zitothebrave award I see.
    Forever Fredi

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    One amazing sign that you see with Acuna is how he intentionally goes to opposite field if he makes several routine outs or starts grounding out to left side of the infield. This is the way hitters get back into sequence and stay "inside" the ball. Acuna does this exceptionally well and shows great awareness and willingness to make adjustments. Hopefully that will rub off on Ozzie once he has an off season to assess.
    Ozzie is not afraid to go the other way or up the middle.

His problem is he hasn't shown any ability to do it with much authority lefty and his swing that way is either a medium hit flyball or a chopper as this is his contact swing, unlike Freddie where his contact swing is a liner over SS. And those usually find gloves. Not every fly ball by him is trying to pull, a lot of them since the break are actually him trying to hit the ball up the middle, but because of how upper cutty he is it goes in the air usually instead of being a line drive and becomes an easily playable ball.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Absolutely agree with this. I said it about two weeks ago, and though I was partially serious and partially joking, I think Acuna will be a top 5 hitter in baseball within the next year or two. Dude is THAT good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Rump View Post
    Not afraid to come at the vets of the board.

Already trying to make your case stronger for the zitothebrave award I see.
    i dunno...better for rookies to be humble

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Ozzie's issue is simple to identify, but more challenging to correct: over aggressiveness out of the strike zone.

We are currently seeing 2 young players with good/improving plate discipline in the NL East with Soto and Acuna, and that makes it easy to forget that young players don't typically have the discipline and/or make the adjustments those 2 guys have at such a young age. Ozzie is a special young player, but Soto and Acuna are on another level entirely.

I'm confident Ozzie will learn to hunt pitches he can do more damage with as he gains more reps. He just won't improve week to week like Acuna has.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-20-2018), UNCBlue012 (09-20-2018)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Hopefully Chuck Hernandez can show Ozzie de wey of de walks.
    Forever Fredi

25. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (09-20-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Rump View Post
    Hopefully Chuck Hernandez can show Ozzie de wey of de walks.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Ozzie's issue is simple to identify, but more challenging to correct: over aggressiveness out of the strike zone.

We are currently seeing 2 young players with good/improving plate discipline in the NL East with Soto and Acuna, and that makes it easy to forget that young players don't typically have the discipline and/or make the adjustments those 2 guys have at such a young age. Ozzie is a special young player, but Soto and Acuna are on another level entirely.

I'm confident Ozzie will learn to hunt pitches he can do more damage with as he gains more reps. He just won't improve week to week like Acuna has.
    My desire is for Ozzie to have more awareness and willingness to make an adjustment. I know it's got to be frustrating for him to continuously get himself out by swinging at pitches near the zone that he has little chance to do any damage with. I'm hoping....seriously hoping that Ozzie isn't of the mindset of, "well, that's just the way I hit....I have to be aggressive and that's just my approach".

We all know that Ozzie's approach needs to be tweaked and he needs to spit on those pitchers' pitches. But lately, he's even struggling against pitches in his hot zone. Here's to hoping that a season of adversity will help him develop into a complete hitter in the future.