Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    I live in the A. It's just fine thank you.
    “fine” is a good description. there’s just nothing special. and no character.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i gotta say philly is 100x the city atlanta is.
    idk where you personally live, but atlanta isn’t a great city at all.
    I’d have agreed with you 15 years ago. Not anymore.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to brian22 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    The Mariners are trying to trade Seager bad and I could see the Mariners attach Haniger to him to move that contract. Some team will bite on it no doubt. I still think he’s attainable for a not that out of this world price and it’s leave us a lot available to really strengthen the bullpen.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brian22 View Post
    I’d have agreed with you 15 years ago. Not anymore.
    To each his /her own. I liked Philly during my visits but I'm born /bred in Atlanta. I'll never forsake it! But d😂MN its been hard to be a fan of all the sports..lol

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    The Mariners are trying to trade Seager bad and I could see the Mariners attach Haniger to him to move that contract. Some team will bite on it no doubt. I still think he’s attainable for a not that out of this world price and it’s leave us a lot available to really strengthen the bullpen.
    Of course they do. What could we do with him?

His salary probably blows the rest of the budget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Of course they do. What could we do with him?

His salary probably blows the rest of the budget
    I would only want Haniger. No thanks on Seager.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-02-2018)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I would only want Haniger. No thanks on Seager.
    I was thinking that even if they were desperate how could we pull it off?

Say they are desperate and take Riley, fried and Tehran for those two. I’m not sure we could do that. Too much money on a 3b when we just put 23 million on 3b.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I was thinking that even if they were desperate how could we pull it off?

Say they are desperate and take Riley, fried and Tehran for those two. I’m not sure we could do that. Too much money on a 3b when we just put 23 million on 3b.
    Not saying they should do it. However, The Teheran/Seager part is a net of +$8M for 2019. Seager then has two more seasons guaranteed for 19/18 in 20 and 21 then an option with no buy out for 22. He hits lefty while Donaldson hit RH so he could get some day off time for Donaldson and could DH on the interleague games. He could also be your LH power bench bat.

Since Donaldson is only a one year signing, to me a Seager move would hinge on whether you think he could be viable in 20 and 21 (platoon with Riley) and potentially play 1B in 22 if Freeman isn't re-signed.

The Braves also might be able to move him in season should he and Donaldson both show well early.

But I wouldn't offer Riley and Fried to the M's if the Braves are taking all the money except what they send back with Teheran. I would say something like Teheran, Wilson, Allard, Ruiz & Cruz for Haniger and Seager with Braves taking Seager's contract. I might swap out Wilson for Gohara if necessary. I might also go Fried instead of Wilson.

Would give the Braves:

LF Acuna
    2B Albies
    RF Haniger
    1B Freeman
    3B Donaldson/Seager
    C McCann/Flowers
    SS Swanson
    CF Inciarte

With a bench of: Seager, Flowers/McCann, Camargo (Utility), Culberson (Utility), Duvall

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I’d be ALL over that.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Why not Haniger and King Felix they throw some money to us and take Julio Teheran contract. Sanchez came to this team and we don’t had any faith and he did great maybe we can work some magic with Felix!

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    I hate the idea of overpaying for Haniger but if you could get him paired with Seager for Tehran and B prospects I would do it.
    Until 2018 Seager had been a pretty consistent player. It’s not hard for me to imagine him bouncing back slightly. There could be a trade market for him if a team acquired him then was willing to eat some of his salary.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Not saying they should do it. However, The Teheran/Seager part is a net of +$8M for 2019. Seager then has two more seasons guaranteed for 19/18 in 20 and 21 then an option with no buy out for 22. He hits lefty while Donaldson hit RH so he could get some day off time for Donaldson and could DH on the interleague games. He could also be your LH power bench bat.

Since Donaldson is only a one year signing, to me a Seager move would hinge on whether you think he could be viable in 20 and 21 (platoon with Riley) and potentially play 1B in 22 if Freeman isn't re-signed.

The Braves also might be able to move him in season should he and Donaldson both show well early.

But I wouldn't offer Riley and Fried to the M's if the Braves are taking all the money except what they send back with Teheran. I would say something like Teheran, Wilson, Allard, Ruiz & Cruz for Haniger and Seager with Braves taking Seager's contract. I might swap out Wilson for Gohara if necessary. I might also go Fried instead of Wilson.

Would give the Braves:

LF Acuna
    2B Albies
    RF Haniger
    1B Freeman
    3B Donaldson/Seager
    C McCann/Flowers
    SS Swanson
    CF Inciarte

With a bench of: Seager, Flowers/McCann, Camargo (Utility), Culberson (Utility), Duvall
    Unfortunately I think that option turns into a guaranteed deal for 2022 if Seager is traded and it has escalators that could take it all the way up to 20 million.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    How would we take seager. We have no place to play him. And we won’t have a 40 million dollar platoon

Our best chance would be to take Felix. But he is basically a one year contract so not much motivation for the Ms to move him
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    For the record I want nothing to do with Seager. I just said I could see them packaging him with Haniger to get rid of the contract.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Unfortunately I think that option turns into a guaranteed deal for 2022 if Seager is traded and it has escalators that could take it all the way up to 20 million.
    Yeah, just saw that with trade the 22 option becomes a player option.

I still think it's worth looking at given sending back as little as possible.

As for 2019, sending Teheran the other way leaves a net add of $8M. When you weigh the fact that the Braves will likely add some bench piece for $1-3M that Seager would instead be, then the 2019 net is really $5-7M. The key is 2020-22 and if he's headed for the dumpster or even a slight rebound.

his contract runs 19/19/18/15 (with performance escalators that could take to 20) so let's assume 2022 is at $15M because if he's playing well enough to get the escalation to $20M then you don't care about the finances.

So, you have to pair the Haniger return in with the Seager return:

2019: Haniger (~0.7M) + Seager (19M) <=> Teheran (11M) + Non Haniger FA such as Brantley or Cutch (~$15M)

2020: Haniger (~4M) + Seager (19M) + Riley (~0.5M) <=> Non Haniger FA such as Brantley or Cutch (~$15M) + Donaldson ($23M)

2021: Haniger (~8M) + Seager (18M) + Riley (~0.7M) <=> Non Haniger FA such as Brantley or Cutch (~$15M) + Donaldson ($23M)

2022: Haniger (~12M) + Seager (15M) + Riley (~4M) <=> Non Haniger FA such as Brantley or Cutch (~$15M) + Freeman ($22M)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    For what it’s worth, Dayton Moore said they would not trade Merrifield at the deadline and he didn’t.

He hasn’t ruled out trading him this winter.

I don’t think talking about Merrifield is any less realistic than Haniger. Bit clubs would take an offer that blew them away. Both have paid lip service to the idea of wanting to keep them.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Hey remember all that Bumgarner talk the other day? Just ran across this article saying the exact same thing that I was saying the other day: Bumgarner isn't that valuable right now.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/madi...nts-that-much/
    This was linked in that thread. You were saying he’d cost a fortune. I don’t think he would, which is why I think they hold him to deadline.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Taking Seagar back makes sense if you are ok with him being the second highest paid player on the team through 2022.

Doesn’t make sense to me.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    This was linked in that thread. You were saying he’d cost a fortune. I don’t think he would, which is why I think they hold him to deadline.
    I didn't say he'd cost a fortune at all. My argument was that the Giants were not likely to take fair value for Bumgarner and that the people wanting to trade Newk and Fried+ for him were nuts. I've always claimed that he was worth ~10 million in surplus value and if we can get him at that price point then perhaps we should consider it.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I didn't say he'd cost a fortune at all. My argument was that the Giants were not likely to take fair value for Bumgarner and that the people wanting to trade Newk and Fried+ for him were nuts. I've always claimed that he was worth ~10 million in surplus value and if we can get him at that price point then perhaps we should consider it.
    I would love to get Madison if we could at fair or even slight over pay. But I don’t want to pay 60 million for a 15 million asset.
    Coppy