Thread: serious for real AI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts

serious for real AI

https://www.axios.com/2024/05/09/goo...source=twitter

And an older article that provides good context on what the fuss is about.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robtoew...h=2000a396e0af
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    Wall Street Journal owner News Corp struck a major content-licensing pact with generative artificial-intelligence company OpenAI, aiming to cash in on a technology that promises to have a profound impact on the news-publishing industry.

The deal could be worth more than $250 million over five years, including compensation in the form of cash and credits for use of OpenAI technology, according to people familiar with the situation. The deal lets OpenAI use content from News Corp’s consumer-facing news publications, including archives, to answer users’ queries and train its technology.

“The pact acknowledges that there is a premium for premium journalism,” News Corp Chief Executive Robert Thomson said in a memo to employees Wednesday. “The digital age has been characterized by the dominance of distributors, often at the expense of creators, and many media companies have been swept away by a remorseless technological tide. The onus is now on us to make the most of this providential opportunity.”

Publishers are seeking to ensure that they extract a hefty payment for the use of their intellectual property, setting up complex and sometimes tense negotiations across the industry. Many journalists, meanwhile, are concerned about the impact of AI on jobs in newsrooms whose ranks have already been thinned by years of cuts.

The News Corp-OpenAI deal is the latest illustration of the differing approaches adopted by publishers looking to address the rise of generative AI.

News Corp joins a growing list of publishers that have reached commercial partnerships with OpenAI, including Politico and Business Insider parent Axel Springer, the Associated Press, Le Monde, the Financial Times and IAC’s Dotdash Meredith, home of such publications as People and Better Homes & Gardens.

Other publishers, including the New York Times, have opted to battle OpenAI and its backer Microsoft in court, saying their content was used without permission to train artificial-intelligence tools and populate answers for users. OpenAI has said the lawsuit is without merit.

News Corp’s deal guarantees that content won’t become available on ChatGPT immediately after publication, according to a person familiar with the agreement.

In addition to providing content, News Corp will share journalistic expertise with OpenAI, the companies said.

https://www.wsj.com/business/media/o...d=hp_lead_pos3

interesting deal
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."