Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8/30 TUESDAY MINORS FINAL: WIlson Suspended

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Why is Demeritte only playing 2B, but Moore has been moved around to SS/3B/1B? Do they plan to keep Demeritte at 2B? I assumed he'd be groomed to play 3B by now
    I would imagine part of it is that Moore's best fit is probably as a utility guy, whereas Demeritte is a legitimate prospect. When a prospect has the potential to be an impact player, you keep him where his value is highest, and to me that would be 2B. I'm sure if by the end of next year Demeritte is crushing it in Mississippi they'll start giving him some reps at a position with an opening.

It's the same reason I'd keep Maitan at SS until he proves he shouldn't be there, even if Dansby both proves to be the answer at SS and we lock him up long term. You can teach these guys to play 3B in a hurry if it becomes an issue down the road.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Why is Demeritte only playing 2B, but Moore has been moved around to SS/3B/1B? Do they plan to keep Demeritte at 2B? I assumed he'd be groomed to play 3B by now
    I don't think they would move Demeritte this late in the season. He'll probably get moved--if they move him--during the instructional league. My guess is Moore projects as a utility guy. He has a lot of experience, so they are comfortable moving him around. Moore could have some value if he keeps hitting and shows he can at least stand at SS without embarrassing himself.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I don't think they would move Demeritte this late in the season. He'll probably get moved--if they move him--during the instructional league. My guess is Moore projects as a utility guy. He has a lot of experience, so they are comfortable moving him around. Moore could have some value if he keeps hitting and shows he can at least stand at SS without embarrassing himself.
    honestly, with Ozzie and Dansby as our starters up the middle, a SS utility guy is not as needed as usual. If Swanson goes down, Ozzie can easily slide over and our utility guy start at 2B.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Can only imagine they intend to send Albies to compete in the AFL. I get slow-playing him a little at this point (particularly given the way Jace has performed since coming back up), but his performance while being pushed so aggressively deserves some kind of reward to show him that they realize it's not going to be long now.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    honestly, with Ozzie and Dansby as our starters up the middle, a SS utility guy is not as needed as usual. If Swanson goes down, Ozzie can easily slide over and our utility guy start at 2B.
    Still a great quality in a utility guy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (08-31-2016)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Demeritte is a legitimate prospect.
    Ehhhh....that might be pushing it for someone who was ranked 19th in the Rangers organization before the trade.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach_Chris View Post
    Ehhhh....that might be pushing it for someone who was ranked 19th in the Rangers organization before the trade.
    He ranks 9th in our system ahead of Toukie, Fried, Riley, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Matt withrow looking good...
    4.0 ip 1 h 0 er 1 bb 8 k

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Demeritte has had a fantastic year that helped answer a lot of questions that sprang up last year. Before his disastrous 2015 he was considered a quality prospect as a prep first rounder that had a solid first full season.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

Coach_Chris (09-01-2016)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    He ranks 9th in our system ahead of Toukie, Fried, Riley, etc.
    I know...this is what worries me. I know rankings are just opinions, but I have been a little worried that a 19th ranked Texas prospect comes to our organization and is in the top 10.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I know...this is what worries me. I know rankings are just opinions, but I have been a little worried that a 19th ranked Texas prospect comes to our organization and is in the top 10.
    The people that had him ranked #19 in Texas before the season said he would've been in their mid-season top-10 based on his season.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

Coach_Chris (09-01-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I think part of it is that prospects might not be re-ranked often based on their current performance. When he switched organizations he was re-ranked according to all current info.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Coach_Chris (09-01-2016)