Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DH Coming to the NL?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts

DH Coming to the NL?

Listening to the pregame radio yesterday, the Braves radio group was discussing the fact that the Tigers felt that they were at a disadvantage having to play in the NL the final series of the season because they lose the DH whereas the teams they are competing against for the last WC are playing in the AL.

That conversation led to discussion about having the DH in both leagues to make it fair and that it very well could happen this offseason. They discussed it like it was a well known possibility in baseball circles. I had not heard that. But I wonder if the DH is going to be a big part of the new agreement with the players and the hosts got their info from someone in the Braves FO.

If that is the case, it could make the Kemp acquisition pure genius. I am often critical of the FO but if they used pre-knowledge to go get a player who would be one of the best DH in the game, I want to be the first to give them credit.

With no offseason changes (other than acquisition of McCann) the line up could be:

CF Inciarte
    SS Swanson
    1B Freeman
    DH Kemp
    RF Markakis
    3B Garcia
    C McCann
    LF Mallex
    2B Jace/Albies

That line up is still light on power and could use significant upgrades at LF and 3B, but it is not so bad.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    It's certainly possible. I know it's coming at some point but there hasn't really been much talk publicly about it. The big thing I've always read about the players pushing for is an amendment to the service time rules. If they can get the DH too then that would be huge for them.

Still, if the DH is added you would figure the league would give teams a year heads up for roster purposes. With the CBA getting changed at the end of the year that would take out half the offseason and a sudden change would be unfair. If it's added I could see it added the following season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    I don't think your idea is that far fetched. We know JS is on the competition committee, so if any FO has insight about the DH coming to the NL it would be the Braves. At that point the acquisitions of Kemp and Mac make tons of sense rather than just being decent moves like they are now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Kemp all-the-sudden becomes a very nice piece if it happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    How is it unfair to the Tigers? They had plenty of AL games to play before this series.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (10-04-2016), bravesnumberone (10-02-2016), Coach_Chris (10-01-2016), Gary82 (10-02-2016), jpx7 (10-03-2016), Knucksie (10-02-2016), mossy (10-04-2016), Runnin (10-06-2016), VirginiaBrave (10-02-2016)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    How is it unfair to the Tigers? They had plenty of AL games to play before this series.
    I don't think it is unfair. Apparently Ausmus was B*tching

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Right. It's a dumb argument.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I thought I saw in an interview before the season started that they hoped to have the CBA in place before the all star break. Then before the end of the season, now it is pushed back. I wonder whats taking so long.
    Get off my lawn!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Really. You shouldn't have lost those three games in May and June where you had the advantage. Shut up and play the game. Why do people think these three games are more important than any other three games played this year. What a whiny bitch.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-01-2016), jpx7 (10-03-2016)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Right. It's a dumb argument.
    Exactly ...they all played the same amount of NL games. Not only acquiring Kemp, but going for so many high ceiling pitchers would also play into that theory.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I thought I saw in an interview before the season started that they hoped to have the CBA in place before the all star break. Then before the end of the season, now it is pushed back. I wonder whats taking so long.
    I don't think they can put anything in place until the old one expires. They may have agreed to things. But won't be known until deal is done.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Listening to the pregame radio yesterday, the Braves radio group was discussing the fact that the Tigers felt that they were at a disadvantage having to play in the NL the final series of the season because they lose the DH whereas the teams they are competing against for the last WC are playing in the AL.

That conversation led to discussion about having the DH in both leagues to make it fair and that it very well could happen this offseason. They discussed it like it was a well known possibility in baseball circles. I had not heard that. But I wonder if the DH is going to be a big part of the new agreement with the players and the hosts got their info from someone in the Braves FO.

If that is the case, it could make the Kemp acquisition pure genius. I am often critical of the FO but if they used pre-knowledge to go get a player who would be one of the best DH in the game, I want to be the first to give them credit.

With no offseason changes (other than acquisition of McCann) the line up could be:

CF Inciarte
    SS Swanson
    1B Freeman
    DH Kemp
    RF Markakis
    3B Garcia
    C McCann
    LF Mallex
    2B Jace/Albies

That line up is still light on power and could use significant upgrades at LF and 3B, but it is not so bad.
    Interesting. My only disagreement is that I see RF as a better opportunity to improve than LF in your lineup. I agree about 3B. Otherwise that would be a fun and exciting team to watch.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-01-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    The chatter is that there might be a DH for all interleague games (including World Series). I don't think we'll see a DH in the NL next year.

I also think the QO system will remain in place for this off-season perhaps with some adjustment in the formula for determining the $ amount of the qualifying offer.

Super 2 will likely also remain in place, perhaps with some adjustment in the cutoff.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-01-2016 at 12:03 PM.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The chatter is that there might be a DH for all interleague games (including World Series). I don't think we'll see a DH in the NL next year.

I also think the QO system will remain in place for this off-season perhaps with some adjustment in the formula for determining the $ amount of the qualifying offer.

Super 2 will likely also remain in place, perhaps with some adjustment in the cutoff.
    Then that would put the NL at a disadvantage.

The first rule of baseball is their is 9 on 9 and it mentions nothing about one of those 9 will not hit and the only play the field and another person would just hit.

I think the AL should get rid of the DH when NL teams come to their stadiums.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I don't think it is unfair. Apparently Ausmus was B*tching
    Ausmus didn't come close to *itching about the situation - just another comment without context. I listened to the interview live, and he did nothing of the sort. He was asked about it, and the interviewers were obviously hoping to draw that kind of response. They failed miserably. He said it was an unfortunate situation as it shakes out, but that with five teams in each division not every team gets to play against division rivals down the stretch. He also said that they had plenty of chances to take advantage of the DH in other interleague series and failed on some of those occasions.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I'm sure it's because the Braves pitchers are far superior hitters to the Tigers'.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Coach_Chris (10-01-2016), JohnAdcox (10-01-2016), Knucksie (10-02-2016), Managuarantano's Volunteers (10-01-2016)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post

And that's the rule that should come into being when it is finally settled. That way it leaves the game as it was intended to be played and leaves the game alone for NL fans only like myself. On the other side it takes all the moaning about disadvantages out of play. If it were up to me I would put either Mil back in the AL or return Hou to the NL and eliminate interleague everyday.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    And that's the rule that should come into being when it is finally settled. That way it leaves the game as it was intended to be played and leaves the game alone for NL fans only like myself. On the other side it takes all the moaning about disadvantages out of play. If it were up to me I would put either Mil back in the AL or return Hou to the NL and eliminate interleague everyday.
    No, that shouldn't be the end result.

NL teams face a greater disadvantage by playing against AL teams with a DH. AL teams carry a DH full time. NL teams end up using bench players who usually aren't up to par offensively with the AL DH on the other side.

The rule needs to be standardized full time. As a traditionalist I'd prefer to see the DH go away. As a realist, given the power of the MLBPA and the fact that every other level of baseball allows the DH, I suspect that the DH will soon be implemented league-wide.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    No, that shouldn't be the end result.

NL teams face a greater disadvantage by playing against AL teams with a DH. AL teams carry a DH full time. NL teams end up using bench players who usually aren't up to par offensively with the AL DH on the other side.

The rule needs to be standardized full time. As a traditionalist I'd prefer to see the DH go away. As a realist, given the power of the MLBPA and the fact that every other level of baseball allows the DH, I suspect that the DH will soon be implemented league-wide.
    No I think you misunderstand. Two NL teams there is no need for a DH. Why use it? And as far as that disadvantage it is mostly overblown. People act like an AL team has never clinched a WS in the NL park and vice versa. It needs to be the same is the weakest possible argument. I may give up on baseball if fully implemented be cause I have no interest in 4 hour slugfests.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    I think it's probably time for it to be uniform one way or the other. I'd prefer doing away with the DH, honestly. But yes, having the DH would help the Braves and would have helped them in previous years with McCann/Gattis.