Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves trade Mallex and Simmons to M's for Gohara and Burrows

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Strange trade. Thats pretty much all I got.
    You took the type right off of my fingers.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (01-11-2017), Hawk (01-11-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Or Teheran's historical non-injury range of 3.2-4.8 WAR and Smyly's never hitting 2.5 in five years including 0.0 last year. Asshole.

And nobody but you has been beating the drum about the missed opportunity to pay a .210 hitter with an average OPS+ of 84 $25m. So give the Castro thing a rest.
    You silly twat, everyone knows Castro's value isn't tied to his offense. Even the king of the DumDums can understand that.

Anyways, you can go back to derping with the rest of the Goof Troop about how great Gohara is.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I think Seattle overpaid for Smyly. I've read a couple of places his arm is a ticking time bomb. The package is too much, IMO. If we wanted Smyly I'm sure we could have had him.

I'm still confused by this trade though. I'm thinking the roster spots were important. I believe we're undervaluing Burrows in the equation as well. Gohara may be the long term piece, but I don't think he was the focus of the trade.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (01-11-2017), Jaw (01-12-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I don't think I'm as high on Mallex as a lot of you guys, so I'm actually OK with the deal. Certainly doesn't feel like a steal or anything though.

Here's Dave Cameron's write up: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/insta...-trades-again/

His last paragraph:

"If you’re the Braves, though, you have to be pretty thrilled about this. Even if Simmons might have some real value as a potential high-end reliever, turning him and a guy blocked by Ender Inciarte into another high-upside pitching prospect is a pretty nifty move. While we don’t know exactly what the Mariners are doing, it seems pretty clear that the Braves saw a chance to turn a couple of spare parts into a potential core piece, and jumped on it when they could."
    It's nice to get an outside perspective on this, especially since it undercurrents the vague first-blush consensus of the board. However, if it is correct that the Mariners will flip Smith in a subsequent deal, it'll be really interesting to see the value they obtain, and compare it to the value the Braves received from Seattle. If the Mariners obtain a player the Braves could've really used, it'll open up Coppolella et al to some justifiable criticism.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    It's nice to get an outside perspective on this, especially since it undercurrents the vague first-blush consensus of the board. However, if it is correct that the Mariners will flip Smith in a subsequent deal, it'll be really interesting to see the value they obtain, and compare it to the value the Braves received from Seattle. If the Mariners obtain a player the Braves could've really used, it'll open up Coppolella et al to some justifiable criticism.
    Seattle already flipped Mallex with some other prospects for Drew Smyly
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-11-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    Seattle already flipped Mallex with some other prospects for Drew Smyly
    Interesting.

See, this is the problem with not being glued to the webs—always posting from the past.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    If there was any indication that they'd pull a stunt like that with the intention of trading him, just because of message board sentiment, it sure hasn't been shown publicly.
    Not to mention that they would be hard pressed to get guys to sign team friendly extensions like that, with the fear of being traded right afterwards.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IowaBrave14 For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (01-11-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Pipeline just slotted Gohara 12th for us.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    I guess I'm confused by the trade as well, but hopefully it works out. And maybe a big part of the value is to free up the roster spaces. Who knows.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    If pitching is currency (as Rico has mentioned), and LH pitchers are a rare commodity (especially ones that throw 95+)....our farm is pretty rich. We seem to get ANY high upside lefty we can get our hands on.

I feel a big trade coming. Maybe not before the season starts, but for sure at the trade deadline or next offseason. We are acquiring so many prospects that we can make a big trade and literally barely feel it (depth wise).

I think Wisler and Blair...even Folty (to a lesser extent),better impress this season....I don't think Coppy is in the "wait and see" mode with any of these prospect/MLB ready players we acquired. I think if they find the right offer on Ozzie...he might not make it either. I surely hope not on him (because I REALLY like him). Sure seems like we are piling on the farm depth.

Mallex gave them some attitude and I "think" they were just fed up with him a bit. Let's be serious also, as soon as the ink was dry on the Ender deal...the writing was on the wall for Mallex and with good reason. Ender has that special feel for the game that Mallex will probably never quite reach...and they are too close to the same player. No way the Braves ever have both of them in the outfield together.

Strange trade...yes....BUT....if you think about Coppy's love for hard throwing leftys AND Ender's deal AND Mallex's weird injury/or attitude wanting to be in the bigs and not back to AAA, the peices begin to fit together a tad bit better.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

NYCBrave (01-11-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    I guess I'm confused by the trade as well, but hopefully it works out. And maybe a big part of the value is to free up the roster spaces. Who knows.
    Who knows? It feels like a precursor though.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Pipeline just slotted Gohara 12th for us.
    To be fair that's not updated. It's still going off of their last update. Acuna is listed at #18 right now and that will certainly change when their update comes at the end of the month.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    To be fair that's not updated. It's still going off of their last update. Acuna is listed at #18 right now and that will certainly change when their update comes at the end of the month.
    I still think 12 is about right. He is probably right on the edge of being top 10 for the Braves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Where does gohara likely start year?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I don't think I'm as high on Mallex as a lot of you guys, so I'm actually OK with the deal. Certainly doesn't feel like a steal or anything though.

Here's Dave Cameron's write up: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/insta...-trades-again/

His last paragraph:

"If you’re the Braves, though, you have to be pretty thrilled about this. Even if Simmons might have some real value as a potential high-end reliever, turning him and a guy blocked by Ender Inciarte into another high-upside pitching prospect is a pretty nifty move. While we don’t know exactly what the Mariners are doing, it seems pretty clear that the Braves saw a chance to turn a couple of spare parts into a potential core piece, and jumped on it when they could."
    wow fangraphs is full of stone age thinking too. who knew?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Where does gohara likely start year?
    I'd think he'd start at Florida with Allard, Soroka, Touki, and Sanchez with Fried going to AA.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The crux of Cameron's take on this trade hinges on Mallex being a 4th OFer. I think he is easily a 2-3 WAR starting caliber CFer, not a 0-1 WAR bench player.
    Reality is he hit .238 in 200 ABs, has no power, and is in fact a fourth OF at best on the Braves for the foreseeable future. He's not that valuable a commodity and the Braves extending Inciarte means they were not going to be able to showcase him or find a particularly good use for him.

Might he have been part of a piece of a package in a trade? Yeah, probably, but not a major piece of it.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yeah, I know. I was just posting it.

I think he slots somewhere in the teens. We have a great problem of abundance in that range.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Mallex gave them some attitude and I "think" they were just fed up with him a bit. Let's be serious also, as soon as the ink was dry on the Ender deal...the writing was on the wall for Mallex and with good reason. Ender has that special feel for the game that Mallex will probably never quite reach...and they are too close to the same player. No way the Braves ever have both of them in the outfield together.
    It's generally not my M.O. to default to the sour grapes route, just because someone's gone. They probably still liked him and recognized his potential. Inciarte is already a bird in the hand. With reports, want to find out more about Dustin Peterson and his progress, which supposedly was a factor in making Mallex expendable.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Huh? The trade they did make was likely a direct result of not trading Mallex for Smyly themselves. They couldn't trade for Smyly because they already filled the rotation with lesser pitchers on 1 year deals.

Are you completely unable to comprehend how these deals are related?
    they absolutely could have traded for him if they had wanted to do that. They've been actively looking at acquiring another pitcher. The players they signed are no obstacle to doing that.