Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Keith Law Ranks Braves System No. 1 in Baseball

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This list was clearly done before the White Sox traded Eaton and Sale. After they trade Q they will be easy #1.
    Law discussed this in his chat today, and they wouldn't be top 5 in his eyes with a similar return for Q.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I agree. I think we'll trade off assets to get the TOR pitcher and buy a big bat. People keep saying "there's NO way Machado is available next year." Why not? why would he stay?

I think he could be a serious guy we look at. Harper as well -- believe it or not.
    Machado and Harper arent FA's until 2 years.

2018 season, 2019 offseason. Unless you meant trade...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Greg: Hey Keith, I didn’t see a write up from you on the Gohara trade. What are your thoughts on him? Did you like the move for Atlanta?
    Klaw: He was going to be #2 on my Seattle list, and is on the top 100. No-brainer for Atlanta, even with the very high risk Gohara brings. Huge LHP with ++ fastball and the chance for a plus breaking ball.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Greg: Hey Keith, I didn’t see a write up from you on the Gohara trade. What are your thoughts on him? Did you like the move for Atlanta?
    Klaw: He was going to be #2 on my Seattle list, and is on the top 100. No-brainer for Atlanta, even with the very high risk Gohara brings. Huge LHP with ++ fastball and the chance for a plus breaking ball.
    Keith Law clearly doesn't understand surplus value.

"derp derp derp"

Edit: This isn't me mocking you Southcack77. I'm making fun of some of the posters from the Mallex trade thread who thought the Braves screwed the pooch.
    Last edited by chop2chip; 01-20-2017 at 07:20 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    RB: Would white Sox jump in rankings from 10 to top 5 after a Quintana trade say for a Glasnow meadows package or martes tucker package
    Klaw: Nope. See earlier answer. These rankings aren’t just about a guy or two. Atlanta’s system might run 30 deep in players who project to some sort of real major-league value. EDIT: My answer here was too quick. Yes, a Quintana trade commensurate with the Sale trade would move them up a few spots. I don’t think it would take them to top 5, but my answer here implied they wouldn’t move at all and that’s not accurate, nor is it consistent with how they moved up from the Sale and Eaton trades.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    So the White Sox aren't even Top 5? I refuse to give ESPN cash for their drivel, so I can't see where they actually rank, but it kinda puts the validity of his opinion into question.
    I'm curious what your basis is for this opinion. Prospect rankings are completely based off conversations with talent evaluators (scouts, executives, etc.). What conversations (or first hand encounters) have you had with the minor leagues that leads you qualify your opinion as better than someone who has?

Perhaps other prospect publications will post a contradicting list (they likely will - Keith Law has his own method of ranking players), but I struggle why anyone (not just you) would question anybody's rankings based clearly on their own intuition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    RB: Would white Sox jump in rankings from 10 to top 5 after a Quintana trade say for a Glasnow meadows package or martes tucker package
    Klaw: Nope. See earlier answer. These rankings aren’t just about a guy or two. Atlanta’s system might run 30 deep in players who project to some sort of real major-league value. EDIT: My answer here was too quick. Yes, a Quintana trade commensurate with the Sale trade would move them up a few spots. I don’t think it would take them to top 5, but my answer here implied they wouldn’t move at all and that’s not accurate, nor is it consistent with how they moved up from the Sale and Eaton trades.
    Geez....30 players that could have major league value.

BEST SYSTEM OF ALL TIME!!!
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Then the only conclusion is that Keith Law is a moron idiot Braves homer who can't understand basic facts and logic. Right?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (01-20-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I'm curious what your basis is for this opinion. Prospect rankings are completely based off conversations with talent evaluators (scouts, executives, etc.). What conversations (or first hand encounters) have you had with the minor leagues that leads you qualify your opinion as better than someone who has?

Perhaps other prospect publications will post a contradicting list (they likely will - Keith Law has his own method of ranking players), but I struggle why anyone (not just you) would question anybody's rankings based clearly on their own intuition.
    Remember when Farnsworth did the prospect write ups for FG and listed Weber as one of the Braves top prospects? I'm sure he had a method of ranking players too. I'm sure he talked to scouts and evaluators too.

It didn't mean he was right.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The Top 30 for the Braves is about half guys with a FV of 45. If that's his definition of "major league value", then the White Sox also have 30 guys with a FV of 45+.

His points aren't even consistent.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    The Top 30 for the Braves is about half guys with a FV of 45. If that's his definition of "major league value", then the White Sox also have 30 guys with a FV of 45+.

His points aren't even consistent.
    Once again, you're making the mistake of assuming all 45 FV prospects are the same. MLB.com lists Lucas Sims, Ronald Acuna, Dustin Peterson, Patrick Weigel, AJ Minter, Christian Pache, and Derian Cruz all as 45 FV prospects. Even removing Acuna under the assumption he will move up once the ranking is updated, you're insane if you think those guys are the same kind of prospect as Alex Jackson or Brett Cumberland in terms of future major league value, or a guy like Jake Peter or Zach Thompson for the WS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Once again, you're making the mistake of assuming all 45 FV prospects are the same. MLB.com lists Lucas Sims, Ronald Acuna, Dustin Peterson, Patrick Weigel, AJ Minter, Christian Pache, and Derian Cruz all as 45 FV prospects. Even removing Acuna under the assumption he will move up once the ranking is updated, you're insane if you think those guys are the same kind of prospect as Alex Jackson or Brett Cumberland in terms of future major league value, or a guy like Jake Peter or Zach Thompson for the WS.
    I could understand the argument if it was about the quality of the very top prospects but its not even close that the Braves have the deepest farm.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Remember when Farnsworth did the prospect write ups for FG and listed Weber as one of the Braves top prospects? I'm sure he had a method of ranking players too. I'm sure he talked to scouts and evaluators too.

It didn't mean he was right.
    I know you think you're addressing my point, but youre not.
    Last edited by chop2chip; 01-21-2017 at 12:46 AM.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Keith Law clearly doesn't understand surplus value.
    Doubt anyone here does either. It's "cool" to use the expression on a message board.