Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Inauguration Day 2017

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    To be fair the media is taking every opportunity to suppress the Trump, economic populist, anti establishment movement every chance they get. Trump lays up a couple of softballs for them to hit but lets not act like the media is an innocent player in this. They are doing everything they can to delegitimize Trump so that they don't lose their own power.
    It's very much to Trump's advantage to propagate a narrative of a war with the media. Two days in and it already seems played out. Wonder how he'll keep it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    He wouldn't have to as much if the media wasn't as quick to report fake news as they are (MLK bust).
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    He wouldn't have to as much if the media wasn't as quick to report fake news as they are (MLK bust).
    Who knows if that story was based on the reporter's internal bias. Perhaps it was, but the fact is it was corrected as soon as the initial reporter realized his error. So the reporter corrected it and the news organization retracted the story.

Meanwhile, the press secretary goes to the podium and says several things which are demonstrably false. Are you interested in accountability there?
    Last edited by Julio3000; 01-21-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Whining about the factual reporting of the inauguration turnout so publicly seems like a mistake to me. Now the stroy is how Trump can't handle the truth.

It would be so easy for Trump to turn this issue around and begin to change some minds. All he would have to do would be to acknowledge a less that
    stellar turnout and say that he's knows some people are worried about the future but vow to makes true believers of everyone and in four
    years .... blah, blah, blah.
    Last edited by Runnin; 01-21-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Who knows if that story was based on the reporter's internal bias. Perhaps it was, but the fact is it was corrected as soon as the initial reporter realized his error. So the reporter corrected it and the news organization retracted the story.

Meanwhile, the press secretary goes to the podium and says several things which are demonstrably false. Are you interested in accountability there?
    The damage is done by the initial rush to report false news especially something g as sendative as a larger than life figure like MLK

What did Spicer say today?
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    To me the laughable press secretary speech was all an attempt to get the press talking about that instead of the massive protest marches.

Trump always does these "micro controversies" that are worth obsessing over for a day or two but never has enough steam to carry the story long term

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (01-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    To me the laughable press secretary speech was all an attempt to get the press talking about that instead of the massive protest marches.

Trump always does these "micro controversies" that are worth obsessing over for a day or two but never has enough steam to carry the story long term
    Bingo.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (01-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts

I don't buy the 4d chess argument. I just think Trump can't help himself.
    thank you weso1!

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts

I would agree with this. That tendency, combined with the 2+2=5 vibe I got from Spicer's comments about the size of the inauguration crowd does concern me. I don't care one iota about how many people went to see it, but let's leave the North Korea fearless leader tactics to other nations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    As presidential historians remind us, "Character is destiny."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

weso1 (01-22-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    The damage is done by the initial rush to report false news especially something g as sendative as a larger than life figure like MLK

What did Spicer say today?
    I get that, but it's kind of rich to be coming at a factual error in a tweet from the perspective of a Donald Trump supporter. I mean, it's a hell of a time to decide that objective truth is a worthwhile pursuit (**coughBIRTHER**).

This is a guy whose own supporters say isn't supposed to be taken literally, and who has been held to a different standard of truthfulness throughout this process. So lecturing the press over a quickly-corrected factual error is pretty weak sauce.

Spicer made several untrue or misleading statements in his short remarks. Really, just obvious, laughable, verifiable horse****. Again, pretty rich when the context was scolding the media for inaccurate reporting.

Sturg is absolutely right, though. They chucked a stink bomb into the room because they want the "Trump Attacks Media" headline instead of "Millions Protest Trump."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Runnin (01-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    "I think my strongest asset by far is my temperament. I have a winning temperament." Donald Trump.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

weso1 (01-22-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I would agree with this. That tendency, combined with the 2+2=5 vibe I got from Spicer's comments about the size of the inauguration crowd does concern me. I don't care one iota about how many people went to see it, but let's leave the North Korea fearless leader tactics to other nations.
    Obvious lies serve a purpose. Those disseminating them get to watch who challenges those lies and who will show themselves willing to repeat them. Spicer passed his test with flying colors. I wonder who will be next.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Dude better HTFU because sending an underling to go yell at the press corps every time he thinks someone is unfair to him is probably not a sustainable policy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I get that, but it's kind of rich to be coming at a factual error in a tweet from the perspective of a Donald Trump supporter. I mean, it's a hell of a time to decide that objective truth is a worthwhile pursuit (**coughBIRTHER**).

This is a guy whose own supporters say isn't supposed to be taken literally, and who has been held to a different standard of truthfulness throughout this process. So lecturing the press over a quickly-corrected factual error is pretty weak sauce.

Spicer made several untrue or misleading statements in his short remarks. Really, just obvious, laughable, verifiable horse****. Again, pretty rich when the context was scolding the media for inaccurate reporting.

Sturg is absolutely right, though. They chucked a stink bomb into the room because they want the "Trump Attacks Media" headline instead of "Millions Protest Trump."
    I agree with what you're saying but it doesn't make sense to focus on one side of this. Both the trump administration and the media are being ridiculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    It's telling that Trump is so insecure about the size of his ... whatever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I agree with what you're saying but it doesn't make sense to focus on one side of this. Both the trump administration and the media are being ridiculous.
    What's your specific criticism of the media in this instance?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    What's your specific criticism of the media in this instance?
    The sensationalism of their reporting. People were likening trumps inaugural address to nazi germany. It's absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.
    Natural Immunity Croc

24. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Hawk (01-22-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    The sensationalism of their reporting. People were likening trumps inaugural address to nazi germany. It's absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.
    You are right. Domestic media over the past 48 hours has been sensationalist as hell. Anyone who can't objectively admit that needs to reassess their viewing habits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    You are right. Domestic media over the past 48 hours has been sensationalist as hell. Anyone who can't objectively admit that needs to reassess their viewing habits.
    The problem is that the majority of the media has engaged in this form of reporting for a long time and those on the left just can't distinguish from the norm.