Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sign Donaldson, 1 yr 23 million deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    He's recovered... its pending a physical and he never played less than 155 games a year before his major injury... your analysis and assumption he won't play 100 games is dumb and baseless
    It's worth noting that his post injury performance was right in line with his strong 2017.

I think this present value overpay, I do think it's an overpay, is exactly the kind of the deal many of us were saying we'd be willing to do to protect payroll later.

With limited numbers of needs and a substantial amount of short term payroll, this is makes perfect sense. And the Braves are basically protected against his not performing by having Camargo/Riley, and company behind him.

as things stand, Atlanta figures to go into next offseason with 50m coming off payroll: Donaldson (23) McCann (2) O'Day (9) Teheran (11) Vizcaino (5m?). Some of that will eaten by raises, but should have good chance to do some useful shopping.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    If he's healthy this looks like a terrific pickup. It's a SSS (60 PAs) but his second half numbers were very solid. 280 BA, 3 HRs, .920 OPS, .297 BABIP. If he does that over a full season it's pretty in line with what he's done in recent years.

The days of him playing 150+ games might be behind him but he's shown he can be an excellent contributor at 120 games.

Don't need him to play 155 games, but if he's producing its fine if he does.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    It's worth noting that his post injury performance was right in line with his strong 2017.

I think this present value overpay, I do think it's an overpay, is exactly the kind of the deal many of us were saying we'd be willing to do to protect payroll later.

With limited numbers of needs and a substantial amount of short term payroll, this is makes perfect sense. And the Braves are basically protected against his not performing by having Camargo/Riley, and company behind him.

as things stand, Atlanta figures to go into next offseason with 50m coming off payroll: Donaldson (23) McCann (2) O'Day (9) Teheran (11) Vizcaino (5m?). Some of that will eaten by raises, but should have good chance to do some useful shopping.
    Except, if he produces a la 2017, it’s not even really an overpay, just a contract with zero surplus for the Braves.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Except, if he produces a la 2017, it’s not even really an overpay, just a contract with zero surplus for the Braves.
    Uhhhh, If Donaldson puts up 5.1 fWAR in 113 games for the Braves, that is ALOT of surplus value for the Braves.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post

I think he could absolutely outproduce this deal and add surplus value, I just have the feeling the Braves jumped the market a bit to get him locked up early.

I think striking before Machado was off the board was probably a pretty good idea. I would imagine a lot of clubs might have seen Donaldson as a backup plan and been willing to commit to three or four years.

It occurs to me that the Braves can also use Donaldson as a trade chip at deadline (if out of contention) or tender him a QO if he plays well. I'm a fan of this deal all the way around.

The only drawback would be big regression or injury. And to repeat myself, I think they are pretty well situated to handle that without scrapping the season.

I just don't see a lot of other places to spend the money and I think Camargo to the Marwin like role for millions less makes a ton of sense.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,938 Posts
    I never thought Donaldson would net this much, but it's only a one-year deal. He's done well, but I have this aversion to almost anyone who played for Gibbons in Toronto. Gibbons' d*ckness seemed to rub off on the entire team. Legit power bat is what the team needed, however, and if he's healthy, we have one.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I’m happy with the deal. With it being one year, it doesn’t really matter if it’s an overpay as long as he produces. I’m confident the Braves have done enough digging into the market to know what deals were feasible for this year’s payroll. If Donaldson is a 4+ win player this year and helps us take the next step, who cares if he doesn’t provide surplus value.

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    You realize before his one main injury in 2017 he played at least 155 games a year... it's been a long drawn out recovery but he showed to be pretty damn healthy in Cleveland and the injury prone narrative is almost as out of place as the Brantley injury prone narrative
    You're healthy until you aren't. Forecaster projects him at 417ab, 70r, 25hr, 65rbi, .268 average. Just because he played in September against mostly woeful AL Central pitching doesn't mean he's completely healthy again. Once older players break down, they rarely get fully right again.

That said, I don't hate the deal. I'm glad we're spending $. Forecaster also said when he's fully healthy, he's a top flight hitter. I agree. He's not far removed from hitting 41, 37, and 33 homers in a season. Just have to cross our fingers.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Unless we are able to move some money, I think this deal will take us out of the running for Cutch/Brantley/Pollack. I think we are going to explore the trade market for our corner outfielder.

If we can put Camargo in a super utility role and trade for a ~3 win corner outfielder with upside, I think we'll enter 2019 as the favorites in the NL East, provided the Phillies don't go nuts this offseason. At this point, I just don't see any path for us to add a ToR starting pitcher to the fold unless we trade for a young guy. Same for the bullpen. If we don't trade for an Edwin Diaz type player, I don't see us making a move for a top shelf closer. I'm fine with that.

It'll be interesting to see how we make the money work.
    This is likely the move that will force their hand. They were already considered the top contender for Machado.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    This is likely the move that will force their hand. We aleady consideredlead...

Incomplete post on my part
    Jayson Stark

Verified account

@jaysonst
    Following Following @jaysonst
    More
    You can add the #Phillies to the list of teams that spoke with the #Diamondbacks about Paul Goldschmidt.

A source says the teams discussed a package that would have included Zach Eflin & several young players. But the deal fell apart when the Phillies tried to add Carlos Santana
    Last edited by rico43; 11-26-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    This is likely the move that will force their hand. They were already considered the top contender for Machado.
    If they just add Machado and Harper with no other insanely huge moves, then I still would see us as the favorites.

If they go out and add Machado/Harper plus make a trade for Goldschmidt plus a few other large moves.... At that point I'd be a little nervous.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Although.... Now that I think about it, if the Phillies added Paul Goldschmidt they'd be adding yet another 1st baseman to a team that was laughably bad defensively. They may end up having one of those offseasons where it looks great on paper, but once you put the roster on the field everything falls apart because of horrific defense.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Garmel (11-26-2018), JohnAdcox (11-26-2018)

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (11-26-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    You realize before his one main injury in 2017 he played at least 155 games a year... it's been a long drawn out recovery but he showed to be pretty damn healthy in Cleveland and the injury prone narrative is almost as out of place as the Brantley injury prone narrative
    You could argue that he’s more susceptible to an injury/re-injury now, but you won’t because you are a sunshine blower incapable or rational thought. Just positive spin on everything Braves related.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    And if Goldy is really available than the Braves made a huge mistake. They already have a fine in house third basemen replacement. The other half of the equation would have been filling the hole at first base that Freeman left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    And if Goldy is really available than the Braves made a huge mistake. They already have a fine in house third basemen replacement. The other half of the equation would have been filling the hole at first base that Freeman left.
    Where is Goldschmidt going to play?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-26-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,476 Posts
    Where the **** is [MENTION=59]Enscheff[/MENTION]? I need someone to tell me what I should think about this deal. (I like it though.)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-26-2018), The Chosen One (11-26-2018)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I was looking to see exactly what Donaldson's injury history is and I found an interesting factoid. "Donaldson was called up to the majors for the first time on April 30, 2010, filling in for injured catcher Kurt Suzuki."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    I don't hate it, I don't like it. If he is out there for 2/3 plus of season, it is a steal. If not, well at least we have Camargo. Although we should have used the money on the pen and a starter. This is Troy Glaus part 2 for me.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    One main holdup in announcing roster spot move to make room. Have waived young Sanchez to makeroom for McCann,.