Results 2,841 to 2,860 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I could see AA doing a trade like that and trading Newcomb to Arizona for Peralta. That would give us a line-up of Acuna-Donaldson-Freeman-Realmuto-Peralta at the top. That's strong!
    Let me just say that I would die if we gave Arizona another trash pitcher for something of value. Every time I hear or see Shelby Miller's name I laugh my ass off.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Pretty clear the Diamondbacks are open for business. Wonder if AA might be more inclined to ask about Greinke and Peralta.
    Probably on AA's front burner at this point depending on how much salary Arizona's willing to take back.

Depending on the prospects involved, could you pull off a Greinke/Peralta/Bradley swap without giving up the farm that has them taking Julio and O'Day back?

~ $42 million in real salary coming this way with ~ $20 million going back.

Prospect cost would be interesting. If you could do it without Riley, Pache, or Contreras, I'd probably jump.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-05-2018 at 09:29 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post
    Assuming fhe cost is similar, which would rather have?

Realmuto & Cutch or Haniger & Happ (or FA SP)
    Not even a question. You take Haniger all day over Realmuto.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-05-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    The fact we’re talking about Realmuto rumors means it won’t happen.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    The problem with a Greinke/Peralta trade that people adding Julio and O’day(who wouldn’t waive his NTC anyway) is that it wrecks our payroll next year and they aren’t young enough to have the upside to be enticing enough to do that.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    The problem with a Greinke/Peralta trade that people adding Julio and O’day(who wouldn’t waive his NTC anyway) is that it wrecks our payroll next year and they aren’t young enough to have the upside to be enticing enough to do that.
    How do you figure?

If you were able to keep Riley out of the deal, you'd be able to replace Donaldson's $23 million roster spot with someone making the minimum assuming you let Donaldson walk. Vizcaino would come off the books as well, plus Culberson and Mac.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-05-2018 at 09:46 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,476 Posts
    DOB knows **** all, but this is a direct quote from AA, and is in line with what [MENTION=59]Enscheff[/MENTION] is worried about.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-05-2018), goldfly (12-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    What about Willie Mays Hayes?
    God he was great in Black Hammer and White Lightening
    Ivermectin Man

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-05-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,483 Posts
    According to sporttrack, O’Day has a modified jontrade and designates 7 teams he can be traded to without having to waive the no trade
    Get off my lawn!

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    DOB knows **** all, but this is a direct quote from AA, and is in line with what [MENTION=59]Enscheff[/MENTION] is worried about.

I dont believe this quote for a second. No GM would tell a fanbase they are low on funds while at the same time buying a position not needed and spending less than the prior year after specifically saying the opposite not over a month ago.

This sounds like a statement being made to an individual you are negotiating with or cover for some other action.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Nothing quoted in the media for AA indicates anything unless it’s “Trade signing is being finalized”. We can worry if we don’t like his moves after he makes them, but worrying AA has hamstrung himself after a year of planning is silly.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Definitely think any significant payroll add has to be approached creatively at this point.

AA has talked the talk when it comes to adding Donaldson, but it's still tough to imagine the plan included a $20 million signing (regardless of who it was) if the original plan intended to try to address every perceived hole (corner OF, SP, Closer, bench, etc.). Josh is a great fit, but it's not that hard to make the argument that spending on a LF and Closer and trading for a TOR arm while letting Camargo keep 3B warm until Riley comes up might not have been the way to go to more effectively address the overall roster concerns.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with the Donaldson signing - but it certainly hamstrings you a bit, and it makes it tough not to re-sign a healthy Donaldson if you include Riley in a deal at this point.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts

I have stopped believing anything AA says.

Logic dictates they know they need an impact player in LF, and logic also dictates they didn’t blow their wad on JD only to go cheap in LF.

They know LF is a problem. We know LF is a problem. It’s been known for a long time LF would be a problem. I find it hard to believe there wasn’t a plan in place to address it, or that they somehow signed JD because they momentarily forgot about LF.

I do, however, think they had resources set aside to address catcher and the bench, and signing JD to push Camargo to the bench just happened to be the course they chose to spend those resources. I don’t think it was a coincidence those deals happened nearly simultaneously.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-05-2018 at 10:40 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

gcbraves (12-06-2018), UNCBlue012 (12-06-2018)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I have stopped believing anything AA says.

Logic dictates they know they need an impact player in LF, and logic also dictates they didn’t blow their wad on JD only to go cheap in LF.

They know LF is a problem. We know LF is a problem. It’s been known for a long time LF would be a problem. I find it hard to believe there wasn’t a plan in place to address it, or that they somehow signed JD because they momentarily forgot about LF.

I do, however, think they had resources set aside to address catcher and the bench, and signing JD to push Camargo to the bench just happened to be the course they chose to spend those resources. I don’t think it was a coincidence those deals happened nearly simultaneously.
    Exactly, worrying about media quotes that are intended as misdirection is pointless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,476 Posts
    Exactly, worrying about media quotes that are intended as misdirection is pointless.
    I never indicated I was worried about anything or that I even believed it. I take everything AA says with a grain of salt, I just thought it was interesting that he made this comment right after Enscheff expressed his worries on the matter.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Yeah I’m not buying it either. AA wouldn’t say it even if he was close to a deal for somebody just not his style. The fact he’s saying he’s not is making me think he is. Realmuto or Peralta I have a feeling is being discussed.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-06-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts

Vague quote is vague.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-06-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Vague quote is vague.
    AA just happens to have a better handle on GM-Speak than most folks we've had around the team in a long time.

Spring Training Invitee TheRunningAgent's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Here’s what I think. We have heard Reamulto, Peralta, Haniger and the free agent outfielders. AA will do something totally different than what we have been hearing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,875 Posts
    DOB seems to think we’d be open to a vet FA but right now they want deals longer than two years, and right now he’s not real inclined to go down that isle. Said Brantley wants more like 20M a year rather than like 3/48.

Also we have been engaged on starters, not relievers to this point
    Ivermectin Man