Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast

Thread: Braves sniffing around on Markakis; Official 4 years 44 million.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    I tried to ignore someone, but I found it too annoying when that person would post and it would show he posted and then click to see the post.
    Same thing has happened here, but there's never an urge to see what the kiddie trolls post. Just for ****s & giggles, SAV asked me by PM who was on my ignore list, just he could see who was fuming all the while it'd never show up on my screen.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Same thing has happened here, but there's never an urge to see what the kiddie trolls post. Just for ****s & giggles, SAV asked me by PM who was on my ignore list, just he could see who was fuming all the while it'd never show up on my screen.
    He should know. He is the board master.

Looks like I didn't make your list.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Some posters have needed the board to rationalize that deal; some have needed it to grieve over that deal. I really don't think either group is "ruining" the board for the other group.

Indeed, I find it pretty base (not to mention fairly presumptuous and condescending) to suggest—as some posters have—that those with grievances are somehow messing everything up for those who insist on rationalizations.
    I wanted to take a moment to make the important distinction between espousing "grievances" as you suggest and ad hominem attacks against one's character or integrity (typically guised as, or in combination with, unwelcome snarkiness). I have said time and time again that everyone is not only entitled to express disdain or disappointment in a deal (or deals), but that variation in opinion is actually healthy for intellectual discourse. I maintain that stance today as I always have. In fact I said I too was dismayed when I first learned of the Heyward trade and it was not until I spoke with my source that I felt different about the offseason and the path forward. Like Julio, my son is not white and his favorite player is Jason. I have met Eugene Heyward. I have 3 Heyward jerseys and my son's favorite player is Jason. Just because I feel like the FO's decision met the Revlon standard duty of care does not mean I didn't feel the emotional sting of losing my favorite player. That being said, I understand that the collective interests of the team/organization trumps the individual, and after hearing certain facts, I was able to divorce my initial visceral reaction from understanding that the FO believes the trade was not only in the best interests of the organization, but actually is one that will aid us in years to come.

I do not expect people to simply assume that I'm credible. I understand this is the internet. However, the way some did it was not simply "airing grievances"- and that's why I took issue with it. Yes I called it "bitching" and that was probably wrong (well, some of it I think could be properly characterized as that but I was making a broad generalization and for that I was wrong and apologize)-- but I will no longer share anything I hear openly since I think some either misconstrue it, try and undermine it, or otherwise ridicule it. I'm perfectly content keeping that information to myself and limiting my participation to threads where I feel I can add value.

Wish you all the best this holiday season... and while we may not all agree with personnel decisions, I will be rooting for every Brave come 2015.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ramadon101 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-07-2014), BedellBrave (12-10-2014), clvclv (12-10-2014), drewdat (12-10-2014), jpx7 (12-07-2014), Julio3000 (12-07-2014), Metaphysicist (12-08-2014), mfree80 (12-10-2014), The Chosen One (12-07-2014)

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramadon101 View Post
    I was able to divorce my initial visceral reaction from understanding that the FO believes the trade was not only in the best interests of the organization, but actually is one that will aid us in years to come.
    But that's your personal feeling. Even with the info you presented people still disagree that this was in the best interest of the organization and will not aid us in years to come. To simply expect people to feel the way you feel isn't going to happen.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BremanFan88 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (12-07-2014), Hawk (12-07-2014), jpx7 (12-07-2014), Metaphysicist (12-08-2014)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BremanFan88 View Post
    But that's your personal feeling. Even with the info you presented people still disagree that this was in the best interest of the organization and will not aid us in years to come. To simply expect people to feel the way you feel isn't going to happen.
    Yeah, exactly. I think that many folks have responded to the "shut up and get over it" sentiment, salted as it sometimes is with pejorative, with a reasonable grievance. I respect ramadon's opinion, and those of many other posters with whom I disagree. Everyone's entitled to post their feelings. Volume and tone can become annoying, sure, but I think the pearl-clutching about the overall state of the board is melodramatic.

We're going to be able to quantify the contributions of Heyward, Markakis, and Miller over the course of the next few months and years. We'll have other things to celebrate and to bemoan. Right now, after a painful year, we don't have much to do other than parse what we have and what the Braves have done so far. I hope we can do it with civility—and without hypersensitivity.

I like gallows humor. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm a pessimist about the team and its chances. There are posters who annoy me, too. But that's just . . . like, my opinion, man. I think this is a terrific place to talk about the Braves, and I think it will continue to be. IMO, what will make it better is more participation, not less.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-07-2014), clvclv (12-10-2014), Hawk (12-07-2014), holden (12-10-2014), jpx7 (12-07-2014)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Volume and tone can become annoying, sure, but I think the pearl-clutching about the overall state of the board is melodramatic.
    To be fair: there's been some ascot-clutching, too—on all sides of the discussion.

Last edited by jpx7; 12-07-2014 at 06:44 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Nick Markakis = Classy guy.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...209-story.html

Outfielder Nick Markakis, who had been the longest tenured member of the Orioles before signing a free-agent deal with the Atlanta Braves last week, has taken out a two-page advertisement in Wednesday’s Baltimore Sun to thank fans, the city and the organization for his nine seasons with the club.

The ad includes a large “Thank You,” on one side and an open letter to Orioles fans from Markakis on the other, which begins with, “This isn’t a goodbye.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    To be fair: there's been some ascot-clutching, too—on all sides of the discussion.

Yeah. My ascot hurts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post

Outfielder Nick Markakis, who had been the longest tenured member of the Orioles before signing a free-agent deal with the Atlanta Braves last week, has taken out a two-page advertisement in Wednesday’s Baltimore Sun to thank fans, the city and the organization for his nine seasons with the club.

The ad includes a large “Thank You,” on one side and an open letter to Orioles fans from Markakis on the other, which begins with, “This isn’t a goodbye.”
    Cool. I like it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-10-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts

Nice. Seems like a great character guy. Hopefully he's the type of veteran leader this team needs after losing Chipper, Hudson, and B-Mac in recent years.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    I wanted to take a moment to make the important distinction between espousing "grievances" as you suggest and ad hominem attacks against one's character or integrity (typically guised as, or in combination with, unwelcome snarkiness). I have said time and time again that everyone is not only entitled to express disdain or disappointment in a deal (or deals), but that variation in opinion is actually healthy for intellectual discourse. I maintain that stance today as I always have. In fact I said I too was dismayed when I first learned of the Heyward trade and it was not until I spoke with my source that I felt different about the offseason and the path forward. Like Julio, my son is not white and his favorite player is Jason. I have met Eugene Heyward. I have 3 Heyward jerseys and my son's favorite player is Jason. Just because I feel like the FO's decision met the Revlon standard duty of care does not mean I didn't feel the emotional sting of losing my favorite player. That being said, I understand that the collective interests of the team/organization trumps the individual, and after hearing certain facts, I was able to divorce my initial visceral reaction from understanding that the FO believes the trade was not only in the best interests of the organization, but actually is one that will aid us in years to come.

I do not expect people to simply assume that I'm credible. I understand this is the internet. However, the way some did it was not simply "airing grievances"- and that's why I took issue with it. Yes I called it "bitching" and that was probably wrong (well, some of it I think could be properly characterized as that but I was making a broad generalization and for that I was wrong and apologize)-- but I will no longer share anything I hear openly since I think some either misconstrue it, try and undermine it, or otherwise ridicule it. I'm perfectly content keeping that information to myself and limiting my participation to threads where I feel I can add value.

Wish you all the best this holiday season... and while we may not all agree with personnel decisions, I will be rooting for every Brave come 2015.

I for one hope you change your mind on that score. I've appreciated your info.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Garmel (12-17-2014), jpx7 (12-10-2014), Metaphysicist (12-10-2014), TXBravesFan (12-10-2014)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts

Balances out the Callaspo signing.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts

Look at the list of those who have thanked you before you let the detractors limit your future contributions. I, for one, appreciate your insights and information. Don't let a handful of naysayers ruin it.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (12-10-2014), TXBravesFan (12-10-2014)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Balances out the Callaspo signing.
    Maybe if Mrs. Markakis gets on the scale with him.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

drewdat (12-10-2014), Julio3000 (12-10-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Just heard from a reliable source that Markakis had successful surgery and will be ready to go for Spring Training. I'm not telling you the name of the source but it rhymes with Shmavid O'Cryin.
    thank you weso1!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (12-17-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Just heard from a reliable source that Markakis had successful surgery and will be ready to go for Spring Training. I'm not telling you the name of the source but it rhymes with Shmavid O'Cryin.
    Yea it was SOB, I mean DOB. :)

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (12-17-2014), weso1 (12-17-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    At the risk of opening up old woulds, thought some would be interested to see that the Markakis signing was rated by Dave Cameron as the 2nd worst transaction this offseason. He mentions at the outset that this year's poor decisions pale in comparison to last year's, which is comforting I guess. I think Markakis belongs on the list, but 2 seems a bit high.

I've also linked to yesterday's article with his opinion on the 10 best transactions. The Padre's side of the Upton deal makes the list. I feel that our side of the Gattis trade should have made the "best" list.

"2. Braves sign Nick Markakis
    Cost: Four years, $44 million

This deal just doesn’t make sense for so many reasons. The Braves spent the winter blowing up their roster, admitting that they’re likely non-contenders for the next several seasons, and are going to attempt to rebuild a winner by the time their new stadium opens in 2017. So why, in the middle of going young, would you outbid win-now teams for the services of a mediocre low-ceiling outfielder who, by the way, happens to need neck surgery? Markakis fits as the 6th or 7th best position player on a winning team, the kind of solid role player that helps fill a hole, but there’s no reason for a rebuilding club to win an auction for his services. The Braves would have been better off betting on an upside play, going with a short-term commitment that might land them a guy they could flip at the deadline for more young talent. Markakis’ deal is going to make him difficult to ever trade for value, so instead, they’re just going to be stuck with a declining veteran taking up a significant amount of the payroll."

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-w...14-off-season/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-b...15-off-season/

27. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-13-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Yup, hard to argue that this deal doesn't suck ballz.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    At the risk of opening up old woulds, thought some would be interested to see that the Markakis signing was rated by Dave Cameron as the 2nd worst transaction this offseason. He mentions at the outset that this year's poor decisions pale in comparison to last year's, which is comforting I guess. I think Markakis belongs on the list, but 2 seems a bit high.

I've also linked to yesterday's article with his opinion on the 10 best transactions. The Padre's side of the Upton deal makes the list. I feel that our side of the Gattis trade should have made the "best" list.

"2. Braves sign Nick Markakis
    Cost: Four years, $44 million

This deal just doesn’t make sense for so many reasons. The Braves spent the winter blowing up their roster, admitting that they’re likely non-contenders for the next several seasons, and are going to attempt to rebuild a winner by the time their new stadium opens in 2017. So why, in the middle of going young, would you outbid win-now teams for the services of a mediocre low-ceiling outfielder who, by the way, happens to need neck surgery? Markakis fits as the 6th or 7th best position player on a winning team, the kind of solid role player that helps fill a hole, but there’s no reason for a rebuilding club to win an auction for his services. The Braves would have been better off betting on an upside play, going with a short-term commitment that might land them a guy they could flip at the deadline for more young talent. Markakis’ deal is going to make him difficult to ever trade for value, so instead, they’re just going to be stuck with a declining veteran taking up a significant amount of the payroll."

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-w...14-off-season/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-b...15-off-season/
    I wouldn’t be too surprised if the draft pick the Padres got for losing Upton proved to be as valuable as any of the four players they gave up to get him in the first place.

ouch

Id say the Dodgers made some good moves this offseason...........

The Nats addition of Turner and Ross for Souza and the Indians getting Moss should be in the top 10 and the Gattis addition should be honorable mention.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    That one individual player MIGHT end up being more valuable than any single player in the deal, but not more valuable than all 4. That's the point. So the previous point is pretty silly.