Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 2801

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I don't see why the Yanks would need or want to trade for Stanton. Aaron Judge is their Stanton and they already have a glut of OF options. If they want an expensive star OFer then they can just sign Harper next offseason, who's younger and more durable than Stanton.
    Because the Yanks will be able to get Stanton for very little in terms of talent, essentially taking on the contract. And, he will be a relative bargain compared to Harper in terms of cost while providing excitement equal to Harper. If they paired Harper with a Moustakas acquisition, they would line up:

2B Castro
    CF/LF Gardner
    DH/RF/LF Stanton
    3B Moustakas
    RF/LF Judge
    SS Gregorious
    LF Frazier
    C Sanchez
    1B Bird

Ellsbury, Romine, Torreyes, Hicks (if they can trade either Ellsbury or Gardner), Tyler Wade and Gleyber Torres

They will trade for a couple of starters to go with Tanaka, Gray, Severino, maybe bring Sabathia back as their 5 on a relatively cheap contract.

They will be shedding big contracts after pretty much every year over the next 3 years and it isn't like they don't spend money anyway.

They will want Moustakas at 3B I think because of their need for another LH power bat to fit into their lineup (and if they get Stanton to split Judge and Stanton).

I think they've been extremely smart and a little lucky in their rebuild.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    the 300ish OBP is concerning. I'd go back to a 15 million/yr offer then. 3/45 with two team options at 20 million. I think LH hitter works b/c I'm assuming we go Peterson and Acuna in the next two years if not next year.

Inciarte
    Acuna
    FF
    Kemp/D Peterson
    Moose
    Flowers
    Swanson
    P
    Ozzie
    I don't see how Moustakas is a good investment.

He's got 600 ABs of .300 OBP since the injury.

He is an extreme fly ball hitter who has seen his HR/FB% spike over career norms this season, much like a lot of other guys, but still.

His BABIP is close to his career average meaning there probably isn't that much room to improve with better fortune.

Looks like his defense is somewhat below average.

I don't really see how this solves any kind of problem particularly if the Braves have to go win a bidding war on him.

You are paying for some late prime, but also the onset of decline for a player who hasn't ever really been a star. Maybe you get him at a bargain, but I think people are just seeing he is a 3B free agent and concluding that he must be the solution just because he needs to be. I don't really see that.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    the 300ish OBP is concerning. I'd go back to a 15 million/yr offer then. 3/45 with two team options at 20 million. I think LH hitter works b/c I'm assuming we go Peterson and Acuna in the next two years if not next year.

Inciarte
    Acuna
    FF
    Kemp/D Peterson
    Moose
    Flowers
    Swanson
    P
    Ozzie
    Given the relative idiocy of the FA market, I think Moustakas gets a 5-year (or 4-year with an option) deal. Someone will overpay. He's never walked a lot, but he's at a career low this year. I frankly don't know what that means, but it could be an aberration. Power is at a premium these days and Moustakas has that going for him although his HR/FB ratio is the highest it's ever been, which may also be an aberration. I just think the guy will get paid.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    If you can get him for a good price for about 4 years, I don't see what's undesirable about Moose Tacos. Really nice power, will still be in his 20s when he starts the contract. The only real negative is that he's a lefty. Not sure what kind of defender he is. Don't really see why Donaldson at age 32 would be a better option than Moose at age 29. Moose would be a massive upgrade.
    Donaldson is a much better player?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I'll take Donaldson over Moose every day. We could probably extend him for 3 years if we traded for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Donaldson is a much better player?
    My point is the age man. Donaldson has already shown he may be at the start of his decline. You really want to bet he's the same player in his mid 30s?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Rather have Frazier at, say, 3/36 than Moose tacos at 5/90 (or possibly more). We have several long term internal pieces in the minors (Maitan, Riley, Demeritte, Ruiz) that should each be ready within 3 years. Surely 1 of them will turn into a decent starter. And obviously the upside on Maitan is through the roof.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    My point is the age man. Donaldson has already shown he may be at the start of his decline. You really want to bet he's the same player in his mid 30s?
    I'd bet that he's a better player at 33 than Moose is at 30.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

auyushu (08-03-2017), jpx7 (08-03-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Because the Yanks will be able to get Stanton for very little in terms of talent, essentially taking on the contract. And, he will be a relative bargain compared to Harper in terms of cost while providing excitement equal to Harper. If they paired Harper with a Moustakas acquisition, they would line up:

2B Castro
    CF/LF Gardner
    DH/RF/LF Stanton
    3B Moustakas
    RF/LF Judge
    SS Gregorious
    LF Frazier
    C Sanchez
    1B Bird

Ellsbury, Romine, Torreyes, Hicks (if they can trade either Ellsbury or Gardner), Tyler Wade and Gleyber Torres

They will trade for a couple of starters to go with Tanaka, Gray, Severino, maybe bring Sabathia back as their 5 on a relatively cheap contract.

They will be shedding big contracts after pretty much every year over the next 3 years and it isn't like they don't spend money anyway.

They will want Moustakas at 3B I think because of their need for another LH power bat to fit into their lineup (and if they get Stanton to split Judge and Stanton).

I think they've been extremely smart and a little lucky in their rebuild.
    Maimi won't give Stanton away, no matter how much the acquiring team is willing to eat. The Yanks can get a younger, LH version of Stanton and get him without giving up any spects. And will be on a similar per year contract. It just doesn't make a ton of sense for the Yankees to do what you suggest.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Maimi won't give Stanton away, no matter how much the acquiring team is willing to eat. The Yanks can get a younger, LH version of Stanton and get him without giving up any spects. And will be on a similar per year contract. It just doesn't make a ton of sense for the Yankees to do what you suggest.
    I think they will give Stanton away in a relative sense under new ownership. They will get something back but it won't be a huge haul. And I don't think the Yanks really want Harper, especially not at $40M per with an player opt out.

I could see them getting Stanton (and all the contract) for something like Florial, Andujar and Solak all guys the Yankees don't need going forward, at least in the next 3-4 years.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I'd bet that he's a better player at 33 than Moose is at 30.
    Agreed. It comes down to price but Donaldson in his decline will likely be better than Moose at the end of his prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I want to bet he'll remain better than Moustakas over that time period.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    death bet it is!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (08-03-2017), Preacher (08-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    death bet it is!
    What is dead may never bet.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (08-03-2017), Preacher (08-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Very well could be but if this year is any indication, the gap will probably be pretty small. I'm not high on either one but ether would be a significant upgrade.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Rather have Frazier at, say, 3/36 than Moose tacos at 5/90 (or possibly more). We have several long term internal pieces in the minors (Maitan, Riley, Demeritte, Ruiz) that should each be ready within 3 years. Surely 1 of them will turn into a decent starter. And obviously the upside on Maitan is through the roof.
    IF - obviously a big if - the brass thinks highly enough of the Ruiz/Demeritte/Riley trio to believe that one of them can at least be functional enough to serve as a bridge to Maitan, I wouldn't sign either of them. I'm just not buying that they're convinced that any of those three can be even remotely as good a player as Moustakas or Frazier before Maitan gets here. I also don't think they're going to be particularly patient with a black hole over there any more. They finally scrapped the Freddie experiment, and I don't think they're willing to continue being unable to at the very least get pop and DECENT defense from the hot corner. Phillips certainly isn't that answer. Everyone has their BABIP and power concerns with Camargo (and I don't disagree with those). I'm just not sure Rio isn't a younger Adonis from the left side with a little better defense. Demeritte obviously has the swing-and-miss concerns. The guy with the highest upside of the group is obviously Riley, but you don't want to rush him if you're hoping he'll be better than those guys and he may ultimately not be ready that much faster than Maitan if he adjusts well.

I just really want to avoid Frazier personally. Entirely too much swing-and-miss for me, and the chances of him putting up an .800+ OPS season between 2018 and 2020 seem unbelievably slim IMO. I can't fathom Moustakas costing anyone 5/90, and would much rather overpay for his age and extra 15 bombs.

Of course Donaldson would be a better option than either of those guys, but if anyone in that group gets 5 years or $90 million I bet it's him - whether anyone wants to pay that or not.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    IF - obviously a big if - the brass thinks highly enough of the Ruiz/Demeritte/Riley trio to believe that one of them can at least be functional enough to serve as a bridge to Maitan, I wouldn't sign either of them. I'm just not buying that they're convinced that any of those three can be even remotely as good a player as Moustakas or Frazier before Maitan gets here. I also don't think they're going to be particularly patient with a black hole over there any more. They finally scrapped the Freddie experiment, and I don't think they're willing to continue being unable to at the very least get pop and DECENT defense from the hot corner. Phillips certainly isn't that answer. Everyone has their BABIP and power concerns with Camargo (and I don't disagree with those). I'm just not sure Rio isn't a younger Adonis from the left side with a little better defense. Demeritte obviously has the swing-and-miss concerns. The guy with the highest upside of the group is obviously Riley, but you don't want to rush him if you're hoping he'll be better than those guys and he may ultimately not be ready that much faster than Maitan if he adjusts well.

I just really want to avoid Frazier personally. Entirely too much swing-and-miss for me, and the chances of him putting up an .800+ OPS season between 2018 and 2020 seem unbelievably slim IMO. I can't fathom Moustakas costing anyone 5/90, and would much rather overpay for his age and extra 15 bombs.

Of course Donaldson would be a better option than either of those guys, but if anyone in that group gets 5 years or $90 million I bet it's him - whether anyone wants to pay that or not.
    IF you think Riley and/or TD is your bridge to Maitan you need a short term guy. Maitan is 5 years away. Riley and TD are at least a year away if not 2.

Moose is a Boras client. IF you think those guys might work then you throw big money at Moose for a short term deal. 2/40 with at team option for 20 million. Boras gets his super high AAV and the Braves have a guy for a bridge to the bridge.

The journeyman 3B thing is getting really old. I don't see Ruiz as a regular. I don't see Comargo as a 3B long term b/c I don't think he hits enough (should be big WAR on the glove). TD looks like an extra guy b/c he won't make enough contact to get to his power.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I don't see any way Moustakas agrees to a 2-year deal. Would much rather go after Donaldson at money in that range.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Just don't understand how people can say Maitan is 5 years away when Acuna did advance single A, double A and basically triple A in one year. I know they are different players but the way braves are rushing players he may be at the majors in 3 years maybe even less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Just don't understand how people can say Maitan is 5 years away when Acuna did advance single A, double A and basically triple A in one year. I know they are different players but the way braves are rushing players he may be at the majors in 3 years maybe even less.
    Because that kind of development speed is not the norm
    Ivermectin Man

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-03-2017)