Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MONDAY MINORS FINAL 8/7 ... Nothing to see here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    The truly scary thing is Carmago hasn't even been good defensively at SS, so even beyond him turning into a pumpkin offensively this move could blow up in our faces because of his defense at SS as well. Sure he has a cannon for an arm, but his range has been pretty poor at SS. He's been tremendously better at 2B and 3B.
    He hasn't been bad at all at SS. He's committed one error out of 67 chances and has only two errors on the season.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    He hasn't been bad at all at SS. He's committed one error out of 67 chances and has only two errors on the season.
    You can't evaluate defense by errors.

If he qualified, he'd have the worst UZR/150 in baseball at SS and he's particularly bad going to his left on plays.

He has sure hands and a strong arm but his range is not that good.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaGirl For This Useful Post:

Garmel (08-07-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    I simply don't understand this FO and their obsession with hot month guys. I think Carmargo is able as a utility guy but what freaking nonsense are they feeding us! They say the prospects will show us when they are ready. What the fluck else could Albies do? He outperformed the poster child and is he that big of a threat to the Braves way that you are in yo-yo mode? Stupid. Just stupid.

Damn if Enscheff is going to rub off on me but I'm thinking it's too late. Your number one prospect before the mercurial Acuņa and they act like Albies is not the guy? Put Swanson at SS where you wanted him and let them play for 10 years...or 5 if you a won't pay them....Grrrrr
    Or at a minimum keep an open mind on the optimal playing time distribution and positions of Albies, Swanson and Camargo. I am probably a bit higher on Camargo than you. But I think it is nuts to make the call (now or this off-season) that he is our guy. That kind of call requires at least half of the 2018 season with significant major league playing time going to all three. What is the rush to make the call.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    You've gotta be ****ting me with this Dansby at second base garbage.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (08-08-2017), Tapate50 (08-08-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    This FO certainly does seem a bit clueless when evaluating position players. They are so desperate to win NOW that they are making insanely short sighted decisions.

Adams was the answer at 1B due to a hot month fueled by an inflated HR/FB rate, so they were willing to move Freeman to 3b.

Camargo puts up a decent OPS for a couple weeks due to an unsustainable BABIP, and they are willing to completely alter course on the middle infield plans that involved 2 Top 10 prospects.

All this after they already had to "see what they had" in Adonis for 2+ seasons, decided to stick Kemp in LF for 3+ years, and somehow missed the fact that Olivera couldnt even play 3b.

I've been saying it for months, but the actions of this FO are not consistent with a group that can build a contending roster in the modern game.

Their recent attempts to reduce payroll and their desperation to win now are almost certainly related. Most likely they sold a product to upper management that involved winning in 2017 and generating much higher revenues in the new park than they currently are. They had to get permission to add Adams and his tiny salary, which is another good indication the financial aspect of the operation isn't going as well as planned.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Or at a minimum keep an open mind on the optimal playing time distribution and positions of Albies, Swanson and Camargo. I am probably a bit higher on Camargo than you. But I think it is nuts to make the call (now or this off-season) that he is our guy. That kind of call requires at least half of the 2018 season with significant major league playing time going to all three. What is the rush to make the call.
    I like that nsacpi...it is what I call planning. I'm tired of this over cute crap. Let them play. You decided Albies was your 2B when you made the position change. I'm telling Albies was a good SS. I've watched them both. That being said, stop being cute and let your future unfold. I'd rather lose knowing they are or aren't the future than playing candy damn crush and guessing!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I like that nsacpi...it is what I call planning. I'm tired of this over cute crap. Let them play. You decided Albies was your 2B when you made the position change. I'm telling Albies was a good SS. I've watched them both. That being said, stop being cute and let your future unfold. I'd rather lose knowing they are or aren't the future than playing candy damn crush and guessing!
    If you looked at a baseball team as something on which you earned playing time rather than something on which a player is simply entitled to a spot regardless of performance then the handling of the situation makes sense.

I swear some folks act like these prospects have earned something and fact remains they are prospects and the braves should absolutely explore all the possibilities when it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    If you looked at a baseball team as something on which you earned playing time rather than something on which a player is simply entitled to a spot regardless of performance then the handling of the situation makes sense.

I swear some folks act like these prospects have earned something and fact remains they are prospects and the braves should absolutely explore all the possibilities when it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.
    Simply a bad post. Who said anybody should be given anything? But you think it makes sense to have a good prospect in Albies and your once future SS playing the same position? It signals one may be gone or your winging it. I guarantee I've seen more of both than you have.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    I honestly think encheff is smarter than everyone in our FO... Not even kidding anymore

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

I don't disgaree here. We live in a time where people want things handed to them and adults are still mentally children because they never face adversity. If Danbsy wants to be the starting SS for the Atlanta Braves he'll go out there and get it. If not, then he won't. That's the way it is in business and the real world. Baseball shouldn't be any different. FWIW I think he will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

I don't think any of us are saying hand short and second to Swanson and Albies on a silver platter. I like having Camargo push them for playing time. I think Camargo might be in the process of making the case that he should be a regular. But I think there needs to be an understanding of what has driven his success so far and what that implies for his future success. As well as an understanding of what kind of appropriate sample size is needed to upgrade one's assessment of Camargo relative to the others is a really meaningful way. And I say that as someone who thinks there is a significant chance Camargo turns out to be better than Swanson.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

4maddux_cy's (08-08-2017), Tapate50 (08-08-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    The simple solution is Camargo to 3rd. Everyone is happy.

I feel something stupid is around the corner in the offseason. They seem determined to rush the rebuild and contend next year.

I would much rather them pay to rush the rebuild like getting someone like Verlander. I am pretty scared they are going to do a Fulmer type deal. You can count on Ozzie and many other guys we really like gone.

I think they feel having Camargo gives them versatility to make any move they want going forward. I know many aren't big on Camargo over Dansby and Ozzie, but he has earned it. I would like to see his performance over another year, but they seem to be convinced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I don't disgaree here. We live in a time where people want things handed to them and adults are still mentally children because they never face adversity. If Danbsy wants to be the starting SS for the Atlanta Braves he'll go out there and get it. If not, then he won't. That's the way it is in business and the real world. Baseball shouldn't be any different. FWIW I think he will.
    My problem isn't Swanson at 2b. My problem is we're about to trade the best of the 3 MIFs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    The only thing Camargo has earned is the opportunity to earn a starting spot. If you believe Swanson is the eventual starter it only makes sense to give Camargo the opportunity first

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    You can't evaluate defense by errors.

If he qualified, he'd have the worst UZR/150 in baseball at SS and he's particularly bad going to his left on plays.

He has sure hands and a strong arm but his range is not that good.
    I don't pretend to understand all these metrics... has camargo been at SS enough to make that stat valid?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Swanson at SS and Albies at 2B is the correct decision imo. Minor league defensive stats (for whatever that's worth) and scouts mainly agreed that Swanson was the better defender of the two. That said you should certainly stick with both of them and see what you have.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-08-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    The simple solution is Camargo to 3rd. Everyone is happy.
    This. All freaking day.

If you believe Camargo might be for real, that's fine. We have an easy opportunity to give him a shot to prove that. We have no 3B for the rest of this season and perhaps none for next year, either. He also plays 3B better than he does SS. So just let him play 3B, trade Phillips for anything you can get, and have Dansby at SS and Albies at 2B.

It is that easy.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Preacher (08-08-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't pretend to understand all these metrics... has camargo been at SS enough to make that stat valid?
    The sample size to say he's a bad SS is about the same to say he's a good hitter.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

smootness (08-08-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The sample size to say he's a bad SS is about the same to say he's a good hitter.
    How many ABs qualify as a new normal for Camargo?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    This. All freaking day.

If you believe Camargo might be for real, that's fine. We have an easy opportunity to give him a shot to prove that. We have no 3B for the rest of this season and perhaps none for next year, either. He also plays 3B better than he does SS. So just let him play 3B, trade Phillips for anything you can get, and have Dansby at SS and Albies at 2B.

It is that easy.
    It really is.